Elvis - The Posthumous Years 2000 - ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

It's the original 1973 mix remastered by Vic Anesini. It would be cool to hear what he could do with the multitracks. His mixes of the 1969 live material are second to none (for 1970, I prefer Rosenthal).

laf848, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

A new mix..really? Please link so I can purchase one used of out of print

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

oh boy, 8 tracks sure is not ideal for such a big stage show.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Oh I have that version, I just looked up. I’ll have to give it a re listen

5. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

6. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

These sets are how I first heard Elvis Country, From Elvis In Memphis, Promised Land and Moody Blue. I think the PL tracks (all 18 of the December '73 Stax recordings so the bonus material is 80% of the Good Times LP) were all remixed.

MB (which had a different front cover to the original record) is missing the 1974 track Let Me Be There but does include the entire From EP Blvd album so you get all the Jungle Room masters on one CD plus the three 1977 live, overdubbed songs. I remember listening to this CD and, for the first time with Elvis, being quite bored when it got to the February recordings. I think it was a mixture of the material being quite downbeat and Elvis audibly not in good shape but also possibly a bad job on the mastering front?

EC and FEIM were near-constant fixtures on my CD player at the time though.

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The mixes on the Promised Land expanded are my favorite "go-to" for this material. The vocals are UP FRONT. The bass is dynamic. Everything is cleaner in the mixes. If only they did not insert digital reverb. However, the reverb they DID add is MUCH LESS than the reverb on the original mixes.

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yeah, the Promised Land reissue is worth owning for the Ferrante remixes, although I prefer the original mixes.

Why did they change the cover of Moody Blue? It's argurably even worse than the original.
    [​IMG]

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Very nice picture of Elvis and in no way an improvement.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher. The original Moody Blue cover was one of the more tasteful designs from the 1970's period, and the 2000 reissue team revised the cover with a much less flattering image. I also never understood why they deviated from making this a straight two-fer of the Jungle Room albums -- the removal of Let Me Be There was strange, especially because this was intended to be an expanded edition of the actual Moody Blue album.

Dave112, RSteven, Sebastian and 5 others like this.
  11. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

The removal of 'Let Me Be There' peeved me greatly. As did the two missing tracks from 'Promised Land' when we could've had the full 'Good Times' regardless of the whyfore and whereabouts of recording venues.
    Nah, I wasn't a fan of the expanded versions on the whole. Sure it was nice to have new shiny polished expanded versions of these albums on the shop floor but the track sequencing, sometime track substitution for alternate takes and half @$$ed track selection just made it a rather disappointing exercise in my humble. Rectified immeasurably by the FTD's and even briefly before that with 2005 DSD expanded remasters with the bonus tracks 'after' the main album and much better sound reproduction!

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, those 2000 reissues of the 1970's era masters were underwhelming and bit confusing in their execution. As I previously said, I appreciated that BMG (i.e. Omansky and Jorgensen) made attempts at modernizing the Elvis catalogue, producing a series of remastered reissues with new artwork and expanded track-listings, as well as a series of box sets and compilations, but the results were mixed at best (and the catalogue remained in disarray with a mixture of contemporary releases and reissues, alongside older and inferior 1980's and early 1990's pressings). While I greatly respected Ernst Jorgensen's knowledge of the catalogue, vaults, and investigative approaches to finding and acquiring tapes, I really questioned his creative and management philosophy at the time (and still do on occasion) due to a number of questionable decisions.

Dave112, JimmyCool, jjh1959 and 2 others like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Let Me Be There did not belong on the album in the first place! So RCA and Felton decided it was better to use Let Me Be There from the live Memphis album when their goal was to have only songs never recorded before by Elvis. They could have chosen a previously unreleased PERFORMANCE of just about any song he recorded in the 1976-77 concert season. Instead we not only get a song he had recorded and was already released.

andy75, Dave112, NumberEight and 3 others like this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Bump

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's quite likely Let Me Be There was included on the original album because of the fake promo that publisher Al Gallico had manufactured and released to radio stations, hoping to motivate RCA into actually releasing the track as a single. The story:

In early 1977 Al Gallico, the publisher of Let Me Be There, approached RCA about the possibility of releasing the 1974 Elvis live version as a single. Mel Ilberman of RCA told him they would only consider it if the track had some "action" (ie, the album version was garnering some airplay or interest). So Gallico took it upon himself to press up 2000 unauthorized promo singles of the Elvis version of Let Me Be There, and in May of 1977 he distributed them to radio stations across the country, hoping some would start playing the song and create a demand that would result in RCA actually issuing it as a single (this apparently was not an uncommon practice). Gallico's strategy did not work, in part because RCA already had the Way Down single scheduled for release and weren't going to release something else that would conflict. The full story of this fake promo record is here.

Anyway, it seems plausible that as a result of the fake promo, RCA got the idea to stick the recording on the Moody Blue album. Perhaps Gallico's ploy had generated a bit of new radio interest in the recording and RCA decided putting it on there might be a selling point. Or perhaps Gallico somehow talked them into doing it. Regardless, Gallico wound up making a pile of money because of the unexpectedly huge sales of the album.

laf848, Dave112, TaumpyTears and 7 others like this.
  16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's an MRS (European label) release so probably best to avoid the discussion here.

Per Elvis InfoNet:
    Elvis On Television 1956-1960 The Complete Sound Recordings. EIN in-depth review

Chances are good the audio is copied directly from that release. The book is probably quite nice though.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Okay, stuff like this is why I love these threads.

Dave112, TaumpyTears, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

I agree, Let Me Be There should not have been on Moody Blue. But that did not justify the historical revisionism on the 2000 reissue of the album. BMG would have been better off with a collection that mirrored the Way Down In The Jungle Room compilation, released sixteen years later by Sony.

Jarvis was clearly desperate for material (not the first time), so he reached back and used Let Me Be There, likely because its sound and arrangement fit the general country theme running through some of the album's song cycle*. The reality is that even with all of the 4-track recordings from the spring 1977 concerts, Jarvis ultimately had little to work with because he did not capture many unreleased, usable performances. The best option perhaps would have been to resurrect the unreleased studio version of For The Good Times, which technically would have been a new recording. Granted, Elvis' voice was not the same in 1976 as it was in 1972, but I don't think aesthetically it has too noticeable of a departure, particularly when the vocals on the Moody Blue album were already an uneven mixture of studio and live tracks.

*Edit: Just saw @czeskleba's scenario, so that is also a possibility why Let Me Be There was included.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Assuming they hadn't simply forgotten about it, a plausible reason for not considering For The Good Times is that it was a pre-1973 buyout recording, and hence Elvis would not have received any royalties for it if it was on the album, lowering his (and the Colonel's) share of profits. It seems likely Colonel was on top of issues like this.

Dave112, RSteven, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

July 2000

Long Lonely Highway - Nashville 1960-1968
    - FTD - 74321 76749 2

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 It's Now Or Never (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Schroeder*, Gold* 3:22
    2 A Mess Of Blues (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Pomus/Shuman* 2:57
    3 It Feels So Right (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Wise / Weisman* 2:09
    4 I'm Yours (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Robertson*, Blair* 2:42
    5 Anything That's Part Of You (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Don Robertson (2) 2:08
    6 Just For Old Time Sake (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Tepper/Bennett* 2:10
    7 You'll Be Gone (Alternate Take 4)Written-By – Hodge*, Presley*, West* 2:30
    8 I Feel That I've Known You Forever (Alternate Take 3)Written-By – Jeffries*, Pomus* 2:03
    9 Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello ( Alternate Take 5)Written-By – Stoller/Leiber* 1:47
    10 She's Not You (Alternate Take 2 & WP Take 4)Written-By – Pomus*, Leiber*, Stoller* 2:38
    11 (You're The) Devil In Disguise (Alternate Takes 2 & 3)Written-By – Giant/Baum/Kaye* 3:35
    12 Never Ending (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Kaye*, Springer* 1:58
    13 Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Jones*, Jones* 2:00
    14 (It's A) Long Lonely Highway (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Pomus/Shuman* 2:50
    15 Slowly But Surely (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Weisman*, Wayne* 2:17
    16 By And By (Alternate Take 4)Arranged By – Elvis PresleyWritten-By – Traditional 2:34
    17 Fools Fall In Love (Alternate Take 4)Written-By – Leiber/Stoller* 2:09
    18 Come What May (Take 8, Stereo Master)Written-By – Tableporter* 2:00
    19 Guitar Man (AlternateTake 10)Written-By – Jerry Reed 2:54
    20 Singing Tree (Take 13, Unused Master)Written-By – Solberg*, Owens* 2:58
    21 Too Much Monkey Business (Alternate Take 9)Written-By – Chuck Berry 2:41
    22 Stay Away (Slow Version)Written-By – Tepper/Bennett* 3:18
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This album collects a lot of outtakes from the sixties and contains a bunch of great songs .... I assume most of these ended up on the FTD's of the albums when they came out so I am not sure we need to get too excited about running through the tracks, but certainly if there are any exclusive tracks on here let me know so we can note them for anyone following along.

Cheers
    Mark

Dave112, MerseyBeatle and KDubATX like this.
  21. croquetlawns

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

July 2000

That's The Way It Is - Special edition (3cd) - 07863 67938 2

[​IMG][​IMG]

Special Edition
    1-1 I Just Can't Help Believin '4:25
    1-2 Twenty Days And Twenty Nights 3:15
    1-3 How The Web Was Woven 3:25
    1-4 Patch It Up 3:51
    1-5 Mary In The Morning 4:10
    1-6 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me 2:29
    1-7 You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' 4:20
    1-8 I've Lost You 3:30
    1-9 Just Pretend 4:02
    1-10 Stranger In The Crowd 3:46
    1-11 The Next Step Is Love 3:30
    1-12 Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:03
    1-13 Love Letters 2:52
    1-14 When I’m Over You 2:27
    1-15 Something 3:41
    1-16 I’ll Never Know 2:24
    1-17 Sylvia 3:18
    1-18 Cindy, Cindy 2:31
    1-19 Rags To Riches 1:53
    The Concert
    2-1 That’s All Right 2:32
    2-2 Mystery Train-Tiger Man 3:43
    2-3 Hound Dog 2:47
    2-4 Love Me Tender 6:54
    2-5 Just Pretend 4:12
    2-6 Walk A Mile In My Shoes 2:02
    2-7 There Goes My Everything 4:11
    2-8 Words 2:36
    2-9 Sweet Caroline 2:56
    2-10 You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling 6:29
    2-11 Polk Salad Annie 5:48
    2-12 Heartbreak Hotel 1:46
    2-13 One Night 1:46
    2-14 Blue Suede Shoes 1:31
    2-15 All Shook Up 2:01
    2-16 Little Sister-Get Back 3:33
    2-17 I Was The One 1:11
    2-18 Love Me 2:04
    2-19 Are You Lonesome Tonight? 1:58
    2-20 Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:29
    2-21 Suspicious Minds 6:06
    2-22 Can’t Help Falling In Love 2:08
    The Rehearsal
    3-1 I Got A Woman 3:16
    3-2 I Can’t Sop Loving You 2:51
    3-3 Twenty Days And Twenty Nights 4:02
    3-4 The Next Step Is Love 3:31
    3-5 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 2:34
    3-6 Stranger In The Crowd 3:59
    3-7 Make The World Go Away 3:50
    3-8 Don’t Cry Dadd y2:32
    3-9 In The Ghetto 2:44
    3-10 Peter Gunn Theme (Instrumental)1:01
    3-11 That’s All Right 2:34
    3-12 Cottonfields 1:24
    3-13 Yesterday 2:45
    3-14 I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:28
    3-15 Such A Night 1:38
    3-16 It’s Now Or Never 2:16
    3-17 (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I 2:45
    3-18 Little Sister-Get Back 6:07
    3-19 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water 4:21
    3-20 Johnny B. Goode 3:04
    3-21 Mary In The Morning 4:06
    3-22 The Wonder Of You 3:16
    3-23 Santa Claus Is Back In Town 2:02
    3-24 Farther Along 1:20
    3-25 Oh Happy Day 1:50
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Obviously I wasn't around as an Elvis collector at the time this came out, and I don't have this release. I ended up getting the box set, but I assume that this would have been a fairly exciting release for the Elvis fan.
    That's The Way It Is is a great seventies album, and possibly my only beef with it, it I would have preferred a studio album and a live album to come out as a double album .... ot something along those lines ... It is just how my mind works on these things. It seems here we get that exactly with the studio sessions, the live album, and even a rehearsal disc.
    It seems like this would have been met with some excitement by the Elvis collector, and seems for the time at least, to be a pretty comprehensive release. I believe that the later box set is a case of all of this and more.

So give us the low down on this one. Particularly those of you who loved this album.

23. croquetlawns

This was a great release, and simply but attractively packaged. I was a bit bothered by the bonus tracks at the end of the album as I was so used to just hearing the 12-track album, plus some of the bonus material wasn't of the same quality IMO. But the live and rehearsal discs more than made up for it. Disc 2 is one of Elvis' best concert albums.

24. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The August 12, 1970 midnight show is a great great show and it's worth getting the box just for that show, and it's one of Ferrantes best mixes, imo. The beginning of Polk Salad Annie is spliced from the August 10, midnight show because the tape was damaged. However the complete song showed up on the That's The Way It Is deluxe box years later.

laf848, Dave112, TaumpyTears and 6 others like this.
  25. croquetlawns