Elvis's 31 Feature Films: Which are watchable?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Panther, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Hi Shawn.

I dont, I looked for it last nite and couldnt find it.

Shawn likes this.
  2. stereoguy

Not everything......mostly the 60s movies from 61 onward.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

All the movies I mentioned are post 61 and a lot of on-location filming. Not to mention many others that I did not mention. The article is just plain fiction.

4. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Hey, don't forget Yvonne Craig!

5. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Essential:
    Loving You
    Jailhouse Rock
    King Creole
    Viva Las Vegas
    That’s the Way it Is

Worthwhile:
    Love Me Tender
    Flaming Star
    Wild in the Country
    Blue Hawaii
    Girls! Girls! Girls!
    Fun in Acapulco
    Charro!
    Change of Habit
    Elvis on Tour

Silly but fun:
    G.I. Blues
    Follow That Dream
    Kid Galahad
    Girl Happy
    Double Trouble
    Live a Little, Love a Little

Dog puke:
    the rest

6. To be fair, Elvis didn't film any scenes in Fun In Acapulco in Acapulco, and no scenes in GI Blues with Elvis were filmed in Europe.

Saint Johnny and artfromtex like this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Since I visited Hawaii, I've always had a soft spot for "Blue Hawaii".

8. stereoguy

See, what happened around 1961 or so, was that the accountants and executive producers came to this conclusion, that they made more money on a Elvis movie if they DIDNT spend on Production values, in other words, just as many people came to see them when filmed on the back lot. Sam Katzman even said in an interview that the money they saved allowed them to spend more on OTHER pictures, which really steamed Elvis, who was essentially subsidizing other actors films. Cant blame Elvis.

Ted Mooney and Saint Johnny like this.
  9. stereoguy

correct!

10. stereoguy

Raylind: Note sure what your point is........Obviously it isnt EVERY movie that they cheaped out on, but they *did* on the large majority of the 60s movies. Sure, every Elvis movie has scenes not filmed on the back lot.....as does every other movie.

But you seem to be trying to push the idea that they spent lots of money making the Elvis pictures to make great films....which is absolutely not true. This has been documented, and you should do some more research.

11. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I was at home on a Saturday sometime last year (might have been raining outside) and Follow That Dream came on the television. Wasn't much else I wanted to do, so I figured I'd watch a bad Elvis movie that I hadn't seen before. Surprisingly, it was much better than I thought it would be (my expectations were very low). Elvis made plenty of films worse than this one. The best part of the film is the plot line with the psychologist. The worst part is probably the plot line with the gangsters.

Ted Mooney and Shawn like this.
  12. Something I get a chuckle out of is that Tickle Me (as mentioned above, one of my least favorite Elvis movies) - and I quote from Wikipedia - 'became the third highest-grossing film in the history of Allied Artists and saved the studio from bankruptcy.The film was popular at the box office, making over $3 million in the US and $5 million worldwide. It became the third highest-grossing film in the history of Allied Artists and saved the studio from bankruptcy.'

Tickle Me - Wikipedia

Saint Johnny likes this.
  13. stereoguy

Well, yea, thats the thing. Virtually every Elvis movie has *some* good stuff in it, that raises the average. Its just that some of the plots werent the greatest idea, like Harum Scarum. But, for me personally, I can watch any of the 29 Elvis movies and enjoy it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Ted Mooney likes this.
  14. stereoguy

Actually, EVERY Elvis movie made $$ after the final tallys were made for the year. A few scraped along at the bottom making only a small profit, but a ton of them made solid profits, which is why they continued to churn them out. They were easy to make, and after while the crew had the technical end down pat. They even reused location footage from other movies in Elvis movies, like docks, the ocean, planes overhead, etc.
    Also, another thing they did was to keep the films in theater circulation longer than others. Some Elvis movies ended up subcontacted to 4th Tier showings, meaning drive ins, and tiny independent movie houses in the mid west. For these exhibitors, the name Elvis on their marque was a great draw. Point is, they knew how to wring every last dime from an Elvis movie.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    goodiesguy and Shawn like this.
  15. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Huh. I wouldn't go THAT far. A lot of Elvis movies are garbage (unless you're an unrepentant Elvis fan). Not all of them, but an awful lot. I expected Follow That Dream to be one, and it was better than that, and it was better than a movie that has some good stuff in it.

16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

His best film is the 2000 recut version of That’s the Way It Is.
    If you need more of that, then Elvis on Tour is watchable, but not nearly as good.

Flaming Star -- This Western is one of his better films.

For the more typical, lightweight turn-off-your-brain so-called "Elvis movie" genre, these are watchable, as long as you know what you're getting into:
    It Happened at the World's Fair
    Fun in Acapulco
    Blue Hawaii
    Change of Habit

I'm okay just watching highlight clips from Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, etc. Young Elvis had a pretty good screen presence, but I find it hard to finish most of his films. Even Michael Curtiz' King Creole. Curtiz directed a few classics, but that isn't one of them.

17. stereoguy

My favorites are "Roustabout" (Elvis definitely put more effort into this movie, no doubt because he had Barbara Stanwyck demanding it from Elvis.)
    and "Charro".

18. stereoguy

I would! Good Stuff could be a couple of good songs, a good dance scene, a good love scene, etc. there are plenty of those among the Elvis movies.

19. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'm a big fan but there's some that I just cringe when remembering. My list would be these.

Any 50's...
    Blue Hawaii
    Viva Las Vegas
    Wild in The Country
    Fun in Acapulco
    It Happened at The World's Fair

20. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Elvis' very less than enthusiastic rendition of "Confidence" on the record is a guilty pleasure of mine!

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I liked ROUSTABOUT a lot more-the script made more sense.

22. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I always got a kick out of the record of "Old MacDonald" from DOUBLE TRUOBLE; "a HUM-BOOGAH medium raaaaaaare"!

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I don't know....I think some of those dog puke films aren't so bad

Ted Mooney and Shawn like this.
  24. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

my choices are

Love Me Tender
    Loving You
    Jailhouse Rock
    King Creole
    Blue Hawaii
    Flaming Star
    Girls! Girls! Girls!
    Viva Las Vegas
    Live A Little Love A Little
    Clambake

chad

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Fantastic theme tune as well, even if it does sound like Elvis is singing in a wind tunnel.

Ted Mooney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.