Emerson Lake & Palmer to be reissued on BMG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I want a good stereo CD of Brain Salad Surgery. I have the Japanese Mini LP. I have the 2008 Sanctuary.

Do I need the latest two disc release in order to get the best stereo version? From what I understand, the Sanctuary is the best surround sound, so I'm really only after a stereo CD release.

RangerXT likes this.
  2. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Over the past few weeks, Pledge Music has issued some previews of the bonus live discs from the new Fanfare box set. It sounds really fantastic, especially the 73' shows from Italy and live at the Pocono international raceway from 72'

And it also seems that the Waterloo show is from an improved sound source then the bootleg of it that's been floating around over the years.

SKean, Former Scientist and jay.dee like this.
  3. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Rats, I’m bummed! I bought the Shout Factory version of Works Vol. 1, and without bothering to check here first just bought the Shout Factory version of “Wecome Back...” too. Are they that bad?

4. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Personally, I have no experience with the SF CDs, but I CAN tell you that the BMG Works, Vol. 1 certainly sounds nicer than the old Atlantic I used to have. And on BMG, Welcome Back sounds alive to me for a change. (I never had it on vinyl.) I am of the understanding that ALL prior CD issues of Welcome Back were compromised in one way or another.

5. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

The BMG release of Welcome back sounds Magnificent compared to pretty much all previous releases. As for works, I don't think you're missing out on too much.

sound chaser likes this.
  6. no.nine

When you say he's not missing out on much, do you mean audio quality or music quality?

RangerXT likes this.
  7. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Audio quality.

8. no.nine

:) My question was half joking, considering the general opinion of the album.

I think the BMG version of Works, Vol. 1 sounds pretty nice. It's richer sounding than the Atlantic CD, which I always thought was lackluster. As was the LP, from what I recall. But bluerondo was asking for comparisons against the Shout Factory CDs, and I don't know how Works stacks up to either the Atlantic or the BMG.

RangerXT likes this.
  9. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

The Shout Factory re-issue doesn't sound that much different from the BMG re-issue from what I can tell. Might want to get another opinion on that, though.

10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

The recent BMG's for WORKS I & II are best in my opinion. The mastering seems to bring out more detail and nuance than previous issues.

11. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I'm listening to all of these BMG remasters, and it's real shame that Steve Wilson nor Jakko Jakszyk was able to remix
    Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends. That album needs a proper stereo mix vs the 4.0 fold-down
    we've always gotten. And with the remix we mighta gotten the quad mix that was released when the album was new or
    5.1 mix to replicate the magical quad feel that was to be had by concert goers, leaving attendees to be ELP fans for life.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As an update, I did finally buy the Brain Salad Surgery. Personally I think it's terrific, and yes, the best digital version I've heard. It's miles better than the Japanese Mini LP I have.

13. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I wonder if the Milan/Rome show will be released on cd anytime soon?

14. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

With past / current trends, it probably will be released on CD. I'm waiting patiently like you, and in the meantime, enjoy Greg's
    solo acoustic Lucky Man being joined in by Keith's piano... If the piano was mixed in a little lower vs being loud and impeding
    Greg's overall musical balance in the song, this live version just might rival the WBMFTTSTNE's version as well as the definitive
    CalJam version... But, until then...

15. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I don't think the multi-track tapes have survived from that show, so we've had to make due with remasters ever since.

16. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

.............with a Pictures encore added!!!

boggs likes this.
  17. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I want a 5.1 re-mix issued on a Blu-ray audio disc, please!!

RangerXT, Rufus rag and SKean like this.
  18. Doctor Flang

Some of the tracks were released on the KBFH disc, so i think the tapes do exist.

RangerXT likes this.
  19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

From what I recollect, that ELP King Biscuit show has been around for quite a while though.

RangerXT likes this.
  20. Doctor Flang

It was released in 1997. Most of the disc came from the Works show, but it also included few remixed tracks from the Anaheim show.

21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

But wasn't it broadcast much earlier?

I don't have it, but I considered buying the radio show at a record faire at one time.

RangerXT likes this.
  22. Doctor Flang

The broadcast was an edited version of the show. Strangely, it was said to be recorded at Tulsa, but they really are the same versions that were included on the Welcome Back live album.

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  23. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

This rehearsal video from Montreal's Olympic Stadium always gets me !

24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Maybe you can straighten me out then. The Then part of Now and Then is a different mix of Cal Jam. (also a part of Welcome Back)

The King Biscuit show is from Montreal (Part of which is the In Concert album) and is a different mix of the Works Live album (which is kind of an expanded In Concert)

Is that correct?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Doctor Flang

Cal Jam was not part of the Welcome Back. Cal Jam was filmed on video and recorded on multitracks by ABC, but apparently everything was wiped after the show was edited broadcast. Same thing happened to every other band too, with the exception of Deep Purple, because their manager bought the unedited video masters at some point. Sadly, the multitrack were already gone at that point.

The King Bisquit show was not recorded at Montreal, but at a later date when they were playing as a trio. The tracks with the orchestra on the Works Live were recorded at Montreal Olympic Stadium, but the other tracks were recorded as a trio (I can't remember where or when.) The Montreal recording was retty bad: Either the mixing board for orchestra, or the cable to the live recording unit broke down, and the orchestra was recorded on two-tracks only with a couple of ambience mics. I believe Carl Palmer said that the recording was still multitracked, but Greg Lake said in his autobiography that it was just a two-track recording. Anyway, the recording quality was compromised.

RangerXT, ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.