Emerson Lake & Palmer to be reissued on BMG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

WBMFttSTNE was released in Quad (8 track of all things) back in the day. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we can have this in QUAD/SACD like what they just did for Miles Davis's 'Bitches Brew'?

Welcome Back My Friends was--back in 2002 or 2003--reported to be released by Rhino on DVD-A. Sadly the release date was postponed and then was
    never released at all. So, there is a prepared surround mix out there ready for public consumption. And, I wish I was old enough to experience the true
    quad mix from the 8 Track release...

And, this here is a true stereo mix vs a 4.1 fold down we've always had. It was released in one of the bootleg boxsets by ELP themselves 8-10 years ago.

bibi50 and Zep Fan like this.
  2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I will (once again) reiterate my need for a "full concert experience" release of WBMFttSTNE with all tracks in the correct running order, Take A Pebble and its "offshoots" all being on one disc and a Pictures... encore included.

It's hard to imagine that a version of Pictures wasn't captured somewhen & somewhere on the tour.

EDIT. In fact just found a disc with such a thing on it :

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Live In California 1974

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    RangerXT and Crungy like this.
  3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

That's the audio from the California Jam video, and the version of PaaE is incomplete - fades in during the last bit of Baba Yaga. Great Gates is intact,

RangerXT likes this.
  4. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Stopped me splurging out for it.

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Are you absolutely sure that the new mix was really done?

6. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

I am looking for opinions of the BSS remaster by Andy Pearce on 2016 2CD Deluxe edition on BMG. What do you think of it? Does it different much from his earlier remaster on 2011 Sony/legacy?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

You bought the BMG one (with 2014 remaster by Andy Pearce?)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

You bought the BMG one (with 2014 remaster by Andy Pearce?)

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Correct, it has remained my go to copy.

SKean likes this.
  10. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I have a fan-made version with an amazing Aquatarkus.
    Here are the details:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Welcome back my friends to the reissues that never ends...

Not interested until a remixed WBMF. I know it's been noted this batch is another remaster. It's a bummer that crap about Jackszyk and the multitracks of it was a mistake or deliberate tease.

RangerXT, SKean, Rufus rag and 2 others like this.
  12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The BMG is the only release that hasn't either been NoNoised or compressed. It's really night and day, and that's something you don't hear often from me. Hope they find the multitracks.

13. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Agreed. There was no reason with such a fantastic group with enormous emphasis on sound approved a live album that sounds like its recorded in the nosebleeds. The performances are insanely awesome.

ytserush, Todd W. and John Buchanan like this.
  14. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

The Japanese 1991 /92 Atlantic release of WBMFTTSTNE seems to me to be just a tad more dynamic vs the latest BMG remaster but a little
    less clear as well, while the latest BMG remaster seems a tad more louder / compressed as well as a smidgeon more clearer. Perhaps with a
    multi multi thousand dollar d/a converter the former might be just as clear as well as a smidgeon more dynamic is anyone's guess once I go
    out and purchase a given multi multi thousand dollar d/a converter to further qualify my position / opinion.... They're both way way up there
    with the 1999 Japanese K2 mastering that sounds damn damn good altho I haven't listened to that edition in quite some time (they're stowed
    away in storage, to be unpacked soon).......

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Japanese Atlantic is the same release as the Victory and Rhino releases with slight variations in packaging. NoNoised with good dynamics. The Shout Factory NoNoised the NoNoised version (!!!). The K2 and K2 HD don't use NoNoise, but squash the dynamics flat. The BMG is like the Japanese K2 versions with the dynamics restored. The ONLY CD version that sounds anything at all like Kinney UK vinyl I had a zillion years ago.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. bibi50

bibi50 Forum Resident

WoWWWWWWWWWWW! This is really a great concert !!! Any dvd recommendation in this quality ????

Todd W. likes this.
  17. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

I am looking for some general opinions about those BMG remasters. Were any summary of them madeon this forum? Are they worth collecting?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Doctor Flang

Personally, i like them quite a lot, especially "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Welcome Back My Friends".

sound chaser, RangerXT, SKean and 5 others like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The quad mix is awful. You're not missing anything.

20. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Do You have Tarkus as well? I read that earlier sony edition had distortions on title track but could not find any info if they fixed it on 2016 BMG.

21. Doctor Flang

No i don't, but as far as i know, BMG used the Sony remasters for s/t, Tarkus and Trilogy. The rest of the re-issues were remastered again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I'm an idiot. I still want it. :crazy:

hi_watt and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

anyone heard the recent Anthology vinyl box from BMG?

24. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I think that all of the BMGs sound superb vs what I think are great sounding Sonys but not as great as the BMGs.
    Many here who bought both series of remasters with keen ears will agree with my fully.

25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Yes I have the 2-CD edition 2016 BMG of the debut, and it is great. I really love the SW mix, but it doesn't consign the original mix to obsolescence. I like having both mixes. It's pretty much that way for me with all of Wilson's remix projects of classic albums, from Jethro Tull's 'Benefit' to Hawkwind's 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' to King Crimson's first two Lps .. the original mixes are essential as well as serving as a reference point from which to approach the remixes. I also love the original mix of Opeth's 2011 album 'Heritage' done by Steven.

This edition of the debut is essential ELP, imo.

Oyster Boy, albertop and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.