Emmy Awards ***Spoilers****

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Finally, the best dramatic show on TV gets an Emmy award for being the best dramatic show on TV! Let's hear it for The Sopranos! :thumbsup:

I only saw the last 30 minutes of the broadcast. Could "they" please stop giving Best Male Comedic Actor award to Kelsey Grammer. Enough already. Let's spread the wealth.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was absolutely THRILLED James Spader WON!!!!...one of the best actors alive on television today..(IMO) of course.;)

3. Chris R

Here are some of the resuts:

Drama
    Best Series - The Sopranos
    Best Actor - James Spader - The Practice
    Best Actress - Allison Janney - The West Wing
    Best Supporting Actor - Michael Imperioli - The Sopranos
    Best Supporting Actress - Drea de Matteo - The Sopranos

Comedy
    Best Series - Arrested Development
    Best Actor - Kelsey Grammer - Frasier
    Best Actress - Sarah Jessica Parker - Sex And The City
    Best Supporting Actor - David Hyde Pierce Frasier
    Best Supporting Actress - Cynthia Nixon - Sex And The City

Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Best Reality Competition Program - The Amazing Race

Emmys for best guest actress and actor in a drama series went to William Shatner and Sharon Stone for episodes of The Practice.

For guest actor and actress in a comedy series, the winners were Laura Linney for NBC's Frasier and John Turturro for USA's Monk.

Al Pacino picked up an award for his performance in Angels In America along with Meryl Streep, Mary-Louise Parker and Jeffrey Wright.

Attached Files:

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, unless Kelsey Grammer finds a new show fast, the Academy can't help but give the award to someone else next year since Frasier has ended. :)

5. Michael

I couldn't agree more! Geez...

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

For me, the big news is

Arrested Development!

Finally, a new show that is groundbreaking and bust-a-gut hilarious...and it wins an Emmy for best series! This show was in serious danger of being canned...hopefully, this exposure will attract a deservedly huge audience!

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Nice to see supporting players in The Sopranos get some due. I am so happy for Drea De Matteo! She deserved her Emmy! :goodie:

Top THAT, Matt LeBlanc! :laugh:

8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

HBO really cleaned up, which got me to thinking that it's a bit unfair to have pay TV, which, of course, permits much more liberality in the use of profanity, violence, etc. and probably therefore allows for more liberties in writing and acting, to be lumped in with commercial TV for these awards. I have no problem with basic cable, Lifetime, A&E, etc., but it's really apples and oranges.

9. Chris R

That's a good point. :) Nice also to see that Dennis Franz is not winning best dramatic actor anymore. That also was getting a bit much. I think he won the award 3 times in 4 years in the late 1990s. What about Sam Waterston?

Does anyone know what Jim Gandolfini was trying to say at the end of the awards show when he was cut off?

10. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I think it's not so much the profanity, etc, but the creative freedom they give the creators. They don't have to put on shows every night of the week. They don't expect high ratings right out of the box since they don't have sponsors breathing down their neck. They allow shows like the Sopranos to have years between seasons. David Chase will not release the next batch of shows until he's ready. Well, I'm ready, dammit where are they? :sigh:

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sopranos next (and final) season: sometime in 2006!

12. Michael

...looked like he was trying to thank some people.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Garry Shandling seemed to agree with you.

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Jay: you said it much better than I did. That is exactly what I was getting at. Thanks.

15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I worked with Ray Romano this summer - he grew a beard for our movie.

When I asked him if people still recognized him, he said "Well, not the Emmys!" (He wasn't nominated for Best Actor this year).

He wasn't bitter, it was just funny.

JEFF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.