Entry-level audiophile turntable- Rega or Orbit?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by merzbau, Jun 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raye_penber

raye_penber .

In 2014 I went with a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB.
    The one with the acrylic platter (upgraded the Ortofon 2M Red to Blue/Bronze).
    Even though I've upgraded everything else over the years, I've kept the Pro-ject.
    In seven years I haven't had a single problem with wow/flutter, speed/pitch, etc.
    The motor is silent.
    A couple of years back I borrowed a friends Technics SL1200 as I had the upgrade itch and wanted to know what I was missing.
    Apart from the sound of a different cart (Shure m97xe w/Jico stylus), there wasn't that great a difference to warrant buying a new table.
    I stuck with the Pro-ject and bought a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers instead.
    Recently, I was fortunate enough to spend an afternoon with an old friend of a friend, and we indulged in a little scotch and a lot of music (could've been the other way around).
    He owns a VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cart.
    That really did sound better.

DPR, james, SpeedMorris and 1 other person like this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm sure YH has a menu of options, but plinth shape and where they put the buttons or whatever are mostly cosmetic stuff. Specs do look a little better on the RT85 than some of the other YH stuff I've seen. I'm not going to give it an unqualified recommendation though.

3. timind

timind phorum rezident

I agree with @patient_ot on the used idea. Here's another in your area: Kenwood KD-1033 Turntable - electronics - by owner - sale
    It's a basic belt drive turntable which will need a cartridge (AT95e maybe?). It looks to me as if it was built by CEC.

edit: There are a couple shops here in Indianapolis that specialize in vintage repair. One of them with a stellar reputation always has 8-10 used/serviced turntables for sale. I'd be surprised if you can't find a few in Philly.

jesterthejedi and patient_ot like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I did see that while browsing Philly CL. Not the worst but pretty far from the best Kenwood had to offer. I think the p-mount Tech I linked upthread is a better option, but that's just me.

timind likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yeah, I agree the Technics is a better buy, newer also. I was just throwing out a belt drive option. I owned the Realistic version of the Kenwood and it was alright. I would prefer it to the OP's original options.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I already posted the best used table. the Rega P3 with RB300 tonearm for less than $500 from HiFi Heaven.

And @patient_ot is continually wrong about all things Rega. First off, you can get a brand new P3 for $800 with no issues with speed or wow and flutter issues you could ascertain. Add the NEO speed controler and sub platter at later time (Neo first) but the table with a good cartridge (something like the Sumiko Blue point no. 2 for $350) is a great package for less than $1200. @patient_ot said it is $1000 for the older RP3 is wrong. Listening to him and I'm surprised my 17 year old Rega P5 hasn't fallen apart. :wave: But I will say I personally do like the older models/arms better and think they should rethink their current light plinth design. The P3 is currently Regas best table for the money IME, even in its base form.

MGW, IRG, ejman and 1 other person like this.
  7. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

The idea of spending $800 on a turntable that needs an add on speed controller to make wow and flutter numbers good enough to not be noticed is just nuts.

8. AKA-Chuck G

It doesn't need anything like I said in my post. And BTW, post your system information so we can see YOUR BIASES. :buttkick:

_cruster likes this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

Curious where you find the P3 for $800?

Big Blue likes this.
  10. merzbau

merzbau Member Thread Starter

I found one at that price, but it's open box with no included cartridge.

timind likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some of those old CEC made Realistic decks are pretty nice. I know some members here used to post them in the now playing threads sometimes.

timind likes this.
  12. AKA-Chuck G

Who said anything about cartridge included? You can get a Rega P3 for AT85ml cart for around $950. Who pays full price? I actually know how to deal a little bit. :sigh:

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably a customer return. I'd wonder what is wrong with it.

14. AKA-Chuck G

Probably huh? No, authorized dealer with open box return privileges is not a bad thing.

15. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

16. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

You gotta wonder what might be wrong with any used turntable you buy as well.

17. merzbau

merzbau Member Thread Starter

WHAT HAVE I DONE

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Here's a screenshot from Dirty 'Ol Uncle Mikey's tour of the Rega factory. The video is on Youtube. A few years old, so maybe things have changed, but those are some SLOPPY tolerances. If you think these numbers are good, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

[​IMG]

Big Blue, Oelewapper and blair207 like this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

20. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Yes, old.

Rega Reference EBLT Drive Belt

Note that their reference Rega Planar 1 was used for measurements with a "cheap plastic subplatter".

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

A day in the life at SHForums! Welcome!!:hide:

AKA-Chuck G, BluTorch and merzbau like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Neat, but where's the new factory tolerance chart? Or published w/f specs on every model?

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

No idea, but most printed figures are totally unachievable in the real world and most test records unfortunately are not perfectly centred and as for the majority of records we play.....

Since the introduction of the 24v motor, better mains bearing and more recently the new belts, Regas have not only improved sonically but measure far better.

Some people prefer Technics, some Rega, some who have heard both, myself included, enjoy listening to both belt and direct drive turntables. This really isn't my argument, but people really need to listen and make their own decision. You cannot judge how current Regas perform unless you have heard them in the last couple of months.

Edit. The new drive belts is a nice cheap upgrade (far cheaper than aluminium sub-platters) and uses material to last 50% longer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    raye_penber likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If Rega was confident in what the turntables could do, they would cut the bull and publish specs for all models. The fact that they don't is telling. I don't care for the construction of their turntables of a number of reasons. Yes, I've heard them and handled them. Not a fan, if that isn't obvious.

Aftermath likes this.
  25. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

A few speed and w&f measurements by Paul Miller at HiFi News:

Carbon Evo- 33.32, .02/.03

Pro-Ject X1- 33.37, .03 /.05

Planar 2- 33.63, .02/.03 (Beats most way spendier tables in the hum-noise measurements, fwiw)

EAT B-Sharp-33.43, .02/.04

MoFi UltraDeck- 33.34, .07/.04

MoFi StudioDeck- 33.44, .05/.04

Technics SL1000R- 33.33, .01/.01

VPI Prime 21+- 33.27, .04/.03

Thorens TD-1601- 33.35, .02/.06

Yamaha GT-5000- 33.31, .05/.06

Obviously, there a lot of reasons to get better tables, but speed and stability doesn't appear to be one of them, at least among the budget tables measured by Miller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.