Erased band members?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Lou was a pretty odd guy. Don’t forget that.

lambfan68 likes this.
  2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Re The Moody Blues

in the case of that Patrick Moraz photo it's NOT the same actual photo - look at Justin's hand in each photo, but it's obviously one from a number of almost identical pics taken WITH Moraz at the same session and clearly they took another almost identical pic cut out Moraz and 'photoshopped' part of Graeme Edge's arm onto Ray !

it goes further too re 're-writing' their history both re Moraz and Mike Pinder

now Moraz is 'merely a sideman' per The Moodies revised history....not so back in the 80's

also re Mike, in that Polydor Years booklet a few pics supposedly from the 'Octave' 1978 sessions are shown with the (false) claim that a photo of Mike - whom we are led to believe had already left the band - was later 'photoshopped' in for the album inner gatefold cover photo etc

but if you compare those supposed 'Octave' sessions pics to the album inner photo note Graeme has specs on....but NOT in the 'Octave' album photo plus some clothing has changed on some members as well...

another ACTUAL photo from the real 'Octave' photo sessions, with Graeme minus his specs and all correctly dressed has a very much real Mike positioned right in the middle of the front row of group members - hardly any 'photoshopped' aspect there !

they are latterly attempting to 're-write' their history to create the idea Mike had already left the band before 'Octave' was completed...true he dropped out of the album sessions but he WAS still in the band when 'Octave' was released hence Decca supremo Sir Edward Lewis referred to 'Mike Pinder couldn't be here, he's in Hollywood' to their dismay at the 'Moodies Are Back' garden party event !

see and hear Sir Edward let the cat out of the bag at approx 1 hour 51 minutes into this band story - just after it's explained how they tried using producer Tony Clarke to pass off as Mike for the press event...

they credit Mike as if he's a guest keyboardist in the song credits for 'Driftwood' in another booklet for a CD set too when Mike was still in the band then indeed they were recording 'Octave' at Mike's home studio ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    zen likes this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

DN didn’t fit the band democratic at all.
    Pretty much a loner in a bromance band and his personality clashed in more ways.

4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Be thankful for small favors.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What Jones material does the band have control over?

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

That wasn’t criticism.
    Nico did some superb stuff, no doubt about that, but she never was a member.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Ron Wood plays bass & Darryl Jones is a session/touring member. How about that?

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

He says positive stuff about him all the time. He just doesn't publicly kiss his ass every time he opens his mouth & that irks the Jones fans.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Ace didn't play on Creatures either, Vinnie Vincent did, which is amusing in itself, because neither the person on the original cover, nor the person on the replacement cover appears on the record.

10. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Pete Willis from Def Leppard. Almost typed Pete Best lol that was going to be my original choice until I saw the Anthology cover.

Also not sure if this counts but I was just reading that Nick Simper of Deep Purple was the only member of the first 3 Mk's not to be inducted into the R&RHoF

11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The Eagles airbrushed Felder out of that picture where they're wearing those stupid matching satin jackets.
    I don't currently have the energy to find it, but its out there.

12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

It wasn't even an airbrush job...they just chopped him off at Joe's shoulder.
    [​IMG]

Witchy Woman likes this.
  13. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I don`t care about the reasoning on the website. Just because he was not a "original" Quarryman he was part of the band for a short while - a band that DID gig as the Quarrymen - there is even a poster for those gigs where they are called the Quarrymen and the newspaper said so too.
    EDIT: What became of the book he wanted to write?

14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Also Tim "Ripper" Owens, for less scandalous reasons.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Judging from how the band members (except Phil) treat him (CAS interviews, songs carefully tucked away on compilations -see the Platinum tracklist and you know what I mean-) I cannot help but feel deeply sorry for Ray.

Taken on it’s own terms CAS isn’t nearly half as bad as it’s made out to be. It’s a totally different thing than what Genesis did before imo.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I know Ace did not play on anything KISS since The Elder but having his face on the cover of Creatures makes a little more sense than putting Bruce Kulick and all the other members on with no make-up. Why didn't Vinnie Vincent get on the cover of Creatures but appear makeup free on Lick It Up?

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

dallas taylor was airbrushed off of the back cover of crosby, stills & nash first album after he wrote hi book 'prisoner of woodstock".

18. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure, but think they had another guy who also played on COTN, so Vincent was probably only a session guy until release, the band were probably giving Ace time to get it together.

19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Did Bob Kulick play on Creatures at all?

20. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Doug Hopkins on the re-release of the Gin Blossoms’ New Miserable Experience. Scott Johnson was pictured instead.

21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Based on what I have read, no.

kaztor likes this.
  22. Jameth

Jameth Member

It isn't a member that's been erased, but this was pretty amusing:

Original 1976 LP:

[​IMG]

1997 CD reissue:

[​IMG]

HughMacpherson likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

He played on the Killers compilation for the four new cuts. I've read differing accounts as to what Bob played on Creatures or not but his wiki page has him for some credit on that album.

24. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Richie Ramone, the third drummer for The Ramones.

Later day Clash members; Peter Howard, Vince White & Nick Sheppard. Also Rob Harper who was their drummer on their tour with The Sex Pistols In 1976 before Topper Headon came on board. Harper was asked to join but turned it down. He was also asked to join Dire Straits when they started and turned them down too.

Not erased but not mentioned much; Phill Calvert from The Birthday Party when he toured with The Psychedelic Furs on their Forever Now tour. I don't know if he was an actual member or not. He was supposed to play drums on Mirror Moves but the producer didn't think he was good enough and he left. I saw them on the Forever Now tour and didn't realize I'd seen him play until I discovered The Birthday Party about 13 years later.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  25. One of Kimball's producer discussed dementia in the aftermath. That would fit with Lukather talking about Kimball behaving a little "off" when they met (in the book). It also fits with Kimball then going dark online and with the complaining family choosing not to press charges. It's a sad thing, but the problem seems real.

The guy that Toto REALLY cancels out of its history Jean-Michel Byron. They didn't even put the 4 Byron tracks on their recent "All In" box set. "Mostly In," I guess.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.