Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

True that, but the super slim pack will gonna make this film hard one to find in the Blu-ray stack!

Watched first couple of tracks this afternoon, the PQ is such a massive upgrade on years of watching YouTube VHS copies! But not a fan of commentary cutting into tracks like it does on the opening number. Hoping that’s not going to be the case with many numbers here!

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is commentary mixed in? That sounds like a bad distraction. Maybe that answers my question earlier about why someone would buy the HD download if they had the BR?

marcb likes this.
  3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I though they had put a complete concert on there too with no talking heads cutting in option. I have not had a chance to shove it in the player yet.

4. crossroads69

Unfortunately, no such option on the Blu-ray. Ideally, they should’ve taken an approach similar to the Concert for George release (disc 1 - film, disc 2 - complete concert). I am sure fans would’ve paid bit more $ for that.

Hoping to watch the full film tonight once everyone goes to bed!

Tuck1977 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

My BR will arrive tonight. I hope that by then, others here will confirm whether or not there are commentary interruptions. If so I have already arranged a refund return through Amazon. HDtracks has the audio with 25% off coupon.

6. nubold1

nubold1 Forum Resident

Just had my Super Deluxe Box delivered and I'm starting to dig in. Just a few things that infuriate me already. Why did they reorder the setlist? It makes some things confusing. For example, they left in "A couple songs by Muddy Waters" and then he just plays one. No telling why Hoochie Coochie Man was left off. I really like the way the acoustic numbers started the set and then he worked his way up to the more fiery ones toward the end. Completely lost now....Anyway, they edited the absolutely legendary Driftin' Blues performance. Seriously? They cut a whole solo out at the end and it's abrupt.

7. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Blu-ray preorder shipped and arrinving next week. I am not liking what I am hearing. Tracks edited and cut! Commentary over top. No option for music only?

8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

That’s exactly why I bought the hi-res download, Blues All Day Long is basically cut in half on the Blu-Ray, was like that originally, it’s complete on the download, runtime 4:20. I didn’t have time this morning to check the others but I will. The 24/96 download was only $18.

9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Driftin’ seemed complete to me but I’ll double check, it’s over 10 minutes long. A couple tracks were edited on the original broadcast so that’s nothing new, most are the same as they’ve always been. This is a killer release, I wouldn’t get caught up in that stuff.

10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Totally agree
    I’ll be keep my boots Thats for sure. It’s just nice to get some kind of official release and acknowledgement that this is a superb period in Clapton’s career.

11. nubold1

nubold1 Forum Resident

There's an edit at 7:33. They cut the "quiet" part of the solo before he kicks it up to the crescendo at end. Not as bad as missing the first half of Early In The Morning but it's very noticeable.

The edit isn't present here for reference:

It's at 7:55 here.

DoF, All Down The Line and bbanderic like this.
  12. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

yes - I agree 300%
    I was totally confused by this - in addition to the way the show starts off on track one and it cuts right in with no proper intro. It comes off as this is a bootleg off of a tv special

Tuck1977 likes this.
  13. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

this morning I deleted album from my iTunes and redownloaded it and the live version was there. Weird

mmars982 likes this.
  14. crossroads69

While I am super happy that they have finally released this TV special in HD quality, it’s definitely a missed opportunity for us fans that they chose not to make the complete concert available as played by the band on those nights.

An ideal release would’ve had the complete concert as the main feature with the NBTB TV documentary as the bonus.

hodgo, jhm and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

correct - kinda like the Stones did with the Stripped Box set

16. crossroads69

Yeah, given how much of a big deal this is for Clapton fans, they could’ve been bit more ambitious with this release. A 2CD/3LP set covering the full concert + the complete concert film on Blu-ray along with the NBTB documentary.

Anyway, it is what it is and so it’s now time to pop in the Blu-ray and watch few more tracks! Besides the amazing vocals/guitar playing, it’s great to see all those vintage guitars on stage with EC! Does anyone know whats that P90 hollow body Gibson model he uses on 44?

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Damn fine picture on this. It’s better than my NowTV version.

crossroads69 likes this.
  18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the movie footage concert scenes have been extended to full song for this release from when it was first aired. The talking bits only seem to be when songs have ended. I can live with that all day long.

19. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

without seeing it right now I think it was one of those Gibson super 400 Scotty Moore guitars - really expensive guitars.

crossroads69 likes this.
  20. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

Just began watching this, it’s all phenomenal - but really wish EC kept his fenders in their cases for this show. His tone on those vintage Gibsons is unGodly (no pun intended)

and really wish the full show was represented (maybe for a deluxe down the road?)

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice to hear that advice, now as long as we have a full Groaning The Blues!

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Are the running times on the overlapping 17 songs the same as on cd as BR?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

?

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Damned auto correct. I fixed my question

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No music track without overlapping commentary = Amazon return.

crossroads69, jhm and Matthew Tate like this.