Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The falsetto "so much" isn't an edit, it's on the old version as well, it's just not as audible, if you pay close attention it's there.

DoF and Bossyman like this.
  2. LostWilbury

LostWilbury Forum Resident

Listened to the entire audio release, and its fantastic. I only listened to Cradle for the first time this year, and find these two really pair well. I just can't get over how "on" he was during these shows. I love 24 nights and was thinking about how he normally likes to pick tracks for a compilation over a tour or in 24 nights case over 2 years of shows. But here, he was just completely on fire for these two nights

3. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Just got the Blu-ray today and wow, you guys aren't kidding about the packaging. Really chintzy. Hopefully the cd packaging will have some decent liner notes to go with it.

Now the music, both audio and video is outstanding. Somebody mentioned above that EC should have reunited with Cream right after this project, and that's dead on. Clapton never sounded so good, and the passion he's playing with. It's nice to finally have a high quality version of this.

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Got the Blu-ray and CD. I am really overwhelmed, just incredible.

5. Awesoman

Awesoman Forum Resident

I wish they hadn't made that edit; the ending from the first performance was much better!

6. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

Got my CD and DVD. God what I would give to have been at these concerts. Clapton at his freaking best.

7. Awesoman

Awesoman Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out. And you are correct that it is indeed there and just buried in the mix.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Just coming back from my local store. Had the BR for 16,99 euros. Great. But i hate these thin cardboard sleeves...:realmad:

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I won't be able to listen to them until I'm back home late next week, but I managed to pick up both the Blu Ray and the CD set for a total of $31.33 U.S. via Deep Discount's last sale. I'm definitely happy with those prices.

10. Yankeefan01

Now why couldn't he do like the Stones have done for several of their recent live releases, combine the bluRay or DVD with the CD's. One package, decent price, some liner notes. I kind of wonder, would Martin Scorcese release one of his movies to video with one these chintzy envelopes? I don't think so.

11. Awesoman

Awesoman Forum Resident

Agreed. With the bonus songs thrown in. I was hoping we could buy those separately online but alas have had no luck finding them.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

Just light entertainment music

DoF likes this.
  13. Yankeefan01

I've now got the cd in the house and, with these old eyes, am reading the liner notes by Scooter Weintraub. In it, he says that they recorded all 3 nights at the Fillmore West. I ask, why the heck did they not release it all! This is the undisputed holy grail of Eric Clapton releases and all we get is a "best of" of 3 nights. This is really a minimalist release and, while I would like the 4 extra tracks on the bonus cd there is no way I'm dropping $150-200 for the deluxe box.

But still, I'm glad this has finally seen the light of day.

DoF, JulesRules, laf848 and 7 others like this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yeah, even Super Deluxe edition doesn't offer a lot of bonuses audio wise...?

Yankeefan01 and bluesbro like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is definitely a period of EC's work that warrants a more expansive release. That said, it is amazing this release happened at all considering it took over 25 years to happen.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Exhibit A as to why drummers are oftentimes mocked for not being the brightest bulb.

Ragged Glory likes this.
  17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think Eric’s management /associates (including Scooter) and the label have significant underestimated the fan interest and sales potential of this project. It’s always legendary status among fans and they could’ve really gone big with this.

The documentary plus both shows (8th and 9th) on video and all three nights on audio. We now live in a world of “super deluxe editions” and such a release would’ve fit right in.

Let’s hope that the positive response to the documentary release will encourage them to consider a broader release in the future.

18. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Eric himself has always underestimated Eric, and I think that may be reflected in his management’s approach. Eric doesn’t like his solo on the Cream version of Crossroads. He completely dismisses his work from the 70s, which was reflected in how Life in 12 Bars treated the decade. He was personally a mess, and his work was uneven, but there is a ton of great stuff there. But Eric is quick to put down his own music. I’m not sure he would understand how much we all love these shows.

DoF, JulesRules, jeremylr and 5 others like this.
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

After bingeing on this release for two weeks (audio, video + From the Cradle), I am also revisiting the Me & Mr. Johnson period again for so more EC blues.

It’s interesting to contrast the two; From The Cradle seems more serious, with powerful vocals and Eric’s guitar being the main driving force. On Johnson, the vibe feels bit more relaxed (in line with the story that the band was playing these tracks for fun between takes on Back Home album sessions). Eric seems more chill and generously sharing the instrumental space with his band mates.

Btw, the Sessions for Robert J DVD is amazing companion to the Me and Mr Johnson album. Love being a fly on the wall to Eric and band playing these tracks, with my favorite being him playing with just Doyle in the Dallas building (where Robert Johnson originally recorded them). This is another release that’s now OOP and could use a Blu-ray upgrade (possibly expanded to include more tracks).

DoF, JulesRules, Anthrax and 10 others like this.
  20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:laugh:

Strat-Mangler and longdist01 like this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And if not all, at least something like a full concert made up of 'best' performances from all 3 nights.

It should've been a 2CD set, in any case.

longdist01, Al Gator and crossroads69 like this.
  22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

While I’m very grateful that we got what we got and the quality is very good, it’s clear that they “cheaped out” on this set as far as content and packaging.

23. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Agreed. And the reality is, there are MANY boots out there with EXCELLENT or better SOUNDBOARD quality of the entire concerts. I have many of them, so this set is not a “revelation” for me, but darn it is fun to listen to…(the video, however, is a HUGE improvement over what I have - worth the price of the box set itself, imho).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    DoF, longdist01, JulesRules and 4 others like this.
  24. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

I have the DVD I only watched once up for sale in the Classified section.

25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Would you care to enumerate of the "better SOUNDBOARD quality of the entire concerts " for us?

Thank You in advance.