Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Also this could be the reason why the just released Nothing But The Blues digital album contains only 17 tracks, likely exactly the same ones included in the film.

But if NBTB gets it’s own release (which frankly it deserves), then where does it leave the From The Cradle deluxe set? I am still hoping the complete live set list from 1994 makes it on there!

2. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

If the record company has the good idea to put out this on vinyl too, it will be Xmas day in july ! :)

Matthew Tate and crossroads69 like this.
  3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

4. crossroads69

Nothing confirmed but the speculation always was that it was Eric who pulled the plug on a wider release of the blues documentary. I’ve heard some say he wasn’t happy with the Fillmore nights, some have said that he had moved on musically by 1996 and didn’t want to pulled back to the Cradle project, etc.

I don’t see why the record label would’ve cancelled it, as it was coming out after the success of From The Cradle. So the other guess could be that Scorsese wasn’t happy with his work and hence it got axed. But even then, the label could’ve always released just the concert or the live album.

So the speculation points back to Eric then…

5. crossroads69

Not sure how many on here are Oasis fans but when the band released released the 1996 Knebworth documentary on Blu-ray, I thought they did brilliant job of giving the fans the best deal.

The Blu-ray not only has the documentary film but also both complete shows from Knebworth. This would also be so perfect for Nothing But The Blues; the Scorsese documentary plus both Fillmore nights in full! But I won’t be holding my breath for that or setting my expectations there.

6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I highly doubt they’ll release both Fillmore gigs in their entirety like Oasis did, especially considering the fact that the digital download version of NBTB audio will only consist of 17 tracks.

7. crossroads69

Yeah, that was just wishful. Likely zero probability of that happening…

8. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

At this point i will be happy with the NBTB video release and the "From The Cradle" CD with the bonus tracks.If there is more i will be pleasantly surprised and keep my expectations low.
    The one thing i am very curious about,is why after all these years would there be this sudden interest to release this now? No doubt most of us never thought we would ever see this released.So was it Clapton,Scorsese,some unknown person/persons who saw this in a vault and decided this should get a wide release.Sort of like the great "Summer Of Soul" release.The folks that did remember watching NBTB from the original PBS broadcast in 1995 had no expectations to ever see it and the others who never knew it even existed.
    Maybe we will never get the answer to that question,but be happy someone decided it was time to get NBTB out there to the world :)

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

For me, if all we got was the Blu-Ray/4K of the NBTB film, I would be thrilled, that’s the true holy grail. I suspect we’ll get that and FTC remaster with the 4 bonus tracks and the 17 live tracks which if I were to guess is the soundtrack to the film.

10. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

gimme more HD releases !
    WOF, NBTM 4k film, and hopefully later down the line the will restore footage from the 80s in HD as well...

11. crossroads69

Strange that the digital NBTB album just showed up on streaming services with a preview track last week but no announcement as yet. Shouldn’t be too long though, perhaps later this week.

longdist01 and All Down The Line like this.
  12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I'm up for this Deluxe...
    Saw him at MSG with my brother Oct 8th 94', our Mom's birthday.
    Good stuff. I can till see Clapton seated playing Motherless Child as the opening tune.

My brother was into blues harp players and Jerry Portnoy was very good.
    We then saw him out on Long Island a year or two after that.

13. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

I was always under the impression he did three nights at the Fillmore: 7, 8 and 9th of November 1994.

Personally, I can't wait this release! As a bonus they can include the video of the rehearsals from the New York sessions. That's one hour of pure gold and could justify a stand-alone release itself.

14. crossroads69

Yeah, he did three nights but only the second & third were properly filmed by Marty. The first night was used as a prep and filmed on just one camera.

Eagerly awaiting the announcement now!

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YPB5JJ8/?tag=imwan-20

It looks like there will also be a separate audio release of the Nothing But The Blues dvd live soundtrack.

Track Listings
    1 Blues All Day Long (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    2 Standin' Round Crying (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    3 Forty-Four (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    4 It Hurts Me Too (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    5 Early in the Morning (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    6 Five Long Years (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    7 Crossroads (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    8 Malted Milk Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    9 Motherless Child (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    10 How Long Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    11 Reconsider Baby (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    12 Sinner's Prayer (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    13 Everyday I Have the Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    14 Someday After a While (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    15 Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    16 I'm Tore Down (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)
    17 Groaning the Blues (Live at the Fillmore, San Francisco, 1994)

laf848, ARK, Jagger69 and 17 others like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I look forward to this one

longdist01 likes this.
  17. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Nobody ever reads the follow up, just the salacious part.

18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I agree. Plus if they are doing a vinyl release please keep it separate from the cds.

19. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Of course he was good.
    He was the real deal who learnt & played with the real bluesmen & was a former member of Muddy Waters band

20. I’m so excited by all of the slated Clapton releases.

My oh my! :bdance:

Jagger69, crossroads69 and longdist01 like this.
  21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Exactly and i believe there was more to her side than was widely revealed also.

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Thanks @John Fell

What is confirmed and in what format so far?
    To my ununderstanding, there is the digital and CD release of Nothing but the Blues, and a yet undefined From The Cradle deluxe with extra? live stuff on both audio and video. Am I missing something?

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My understanding is that the From The Cradle Deluxe edition will have 4 bonus studio tracks from the album recording sessions and the video of the Nothing But The Blues PBS documentary. I assume the cd track listing I posted above is a separate audio release of the live songs performed live as part of the Nothing But The Blues PBS documentary.

Nothing but the Blues (film) - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  24. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The only thing confirmed officially is the NBTB digital download and CD, we know this because they both show up on Amazon pre-order with a June 24th release date, that is it so far. No NBTB deluxe CD, LP or Blu-Ray pre-orders yet.

25. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

EC'S LONG-AWAITED NOTHING BUT THE BLUES DOCUMENTARY & SOUNDTRACK OUT JUNE 24

Published // 06.MAY.22
    1995 Documentary Gets 4K Upgrade And Remixed Audio. Soundtrack Features 17 Previously Unreleased Live Performances Recorded During The From The Cradle Tour. Watch "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" now.

Eric Clapton’s lifelong passion for the blues burns brightly in Nothing But The Blues. The film – which was broadcasted once in the U.S. on PBS in 1995 and nominated for an Emmy® Award – has been upgraded to 4K for its long-awaited official release. In addition to the film, Reprise will release a new soundtrack with more than an hour of previously unreleased live performances recorded in 1994 during the legendary guitarist’s tour supporting From The Cradle, his Grammy®-winning, multi-platinum blues album.

Written and produced by Scooter Weintraub and executive produced by Martin Scorsese, the documentary includes an in-depth interview with Clapton conducted by Scorsese. Throughout the interview, Clapton discusses his love for the blues and the profound impact bluesmen like Muddy Waters and B.B. King had on his music. Many of those artists (Robert Johnson, Howlin’ Wolf, Buddy Guy, T-Bone Walker) appear in the film through vintage performances, interviews, and photographs.

At the heart of the film and audio formats are Clapton’s performances of blues standards and lesser-known blues songs. The CD features 17 songs; the double LP 18, and the DVD and Blu-ray each contain 20 songs. Two nights at the Fillmore in San Francisco (November 8 and 9, 1994) were filmed and recorded during his acclaimed From The Cradle tour, and the highlights from the two shows were selected for this release. Likewise, Clapton’s longtime co-producer, Simon Climie, has remixed the audio from those performances from the original multi-tracking recordings.

Nothing But The Blues and the accompanying soundtrack will be released on June 24 in multiple formats. The Super Deluxe Edition (US $199.98) comes with the documentary on Blu-ray, the soundtrack on both 2-LP vinyl and CD, a bonus CD with four extra tracks “Driftin’,” County Jail Blues,” “Kid Man Blues,” and “Too Bad,” and an exclusive hardcover book with memorabilia, including a numbered lithograph, 12x24 poster, Clapton guitar string set, custom guitar picks, and an exclusive bandana.

The documentary will be available separately on Blu-ray (US $24.99) and DVD (US $19.99). Additionally, the soundtrack will be released as a standalone on CD (US $18.98) and 2-LP vinyl (US $34.98 - available July 29) . The music will also be available from digital and streaming services on the same day. Those who pre-order will have instant access to Clapton’s unreleased live performance of Freddie King’s “Have You Ever Loved A Woman.” Click here to pre-order today.

The previously unreleased live performances on Nothing But The Blues serve as a vital counterpart to From The Cradle, which was recorded in the studio. While several songs appear on both (“Motherless Child,” “Standing ’Round Crying,” and “I’m Tore Down”), the performances are entirely different. A live performance of “Have You Ever Loved A Woman” remixed and upgraded to 4K is available now to watch below and at EC.lnk.to/HYELAWLiveVideo.

The upcoming soundtrack also includes songs that did not appear on From the Cradle, including Jimmy Rogers’ “Blues All Day Long” and Robert Johnson’s “Malted Milk,” as well as the standards “Every Day I Have The Blues” and “Forty-Four.”

Initially released in 1994 by Warner Bros. Records, From The Cradle was certified triple-platinum in the U.S., where it topped the Billboard 200. The album was certified gold and topped the charts to become certified gold, platinum, or multi-platinum in many countries.

NOTHING BUT THE BLUES
    Track Listing:

CD & 2-LP:
    01. “Blues All Day Long”
    02. “Standing ’Round Crying”
    03. “Forty-Four”
    04. “It Hurts Me Too”
    05. “Early In The Morning”
    06. “Five Long Years”
    07. “Crossroads”
    08. “Malted Milk”
    09. “Motherless Child”
    10. “How Long”
    11. “Reconsider Baby”
    12. “Sinners Prayer”
    13. “Every Day I Have The Blues”
    14. “Someday After A While (You’ll Be Sorry)”
    15. “Have You Ever Loved A Woman”
    16. “I’m Tore Down”
    17. “Groaning Blues”
    18. “County Jail Blues”* (exclusive to 2-LP vinyl)

DVD, Blu-Ray, Super Deluxe Edition*
    01. “Blues All Day Long”
    02. “Standin’ Round Crying”
    03. “Forty-Four”
    04. “It Hurts Me Too”
    05. “Early In The Morning”
    06. “Five Long Years”
    07. “Crossroads”
    08. “Malted Milk Blues”
    09. “Motherless Child”
    10. “How Long Blues”
    11. “Reconsider Baby”
    12. “Sinner’s Prayer”
    13. “Every Day I Have The Blues”
    14. “Crosscut Saw”
    15. “Someday After A While”
    16. “Have You Ever Loved A Woman”
    17. “I’m Tore Down”
    18. “Groaning The Blues”
    19. “T’Ain’t Nobody’s Bizness”
    20. “Driftin” (Bonus Track)

*The Super Deluxe Edition includes the documentary on Blu-ray, the soundtrack on both 2-LP vinyl and CD, and an exclusive hardcover book with memorabilia, including a numbered lithograph, 12x24 poster, Clapton guitar string set, custom guitar picks, and an exclusive bandana. Also includes a bonus CD with 4 exclusive tracks - “Driftin’”, “County Jail Blues”, “Kid Man Blues” and “Too Bad.”

Pre-order at EC.lnk.to/NBTB

laf848, ARK, Jagger69 and 11 others like this.