DCC Archive Eric Johnson queries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

I post this here realizing full well there's practically no chance I will get these answered. Oh well.

First up, ICE lists a DVD-A of "Ah Via Musicom" coming out 12/11. Does anyone know anything about it? Is there a DVD-A info page that might have some info? Anyone?

#2 - I saw a 180 gm pressing of "Mariani" with a couple of bonus tracks recently. Does anyone have any idea what this is? The only versions of Mariani I've heard were via a grey market Italian CD (boot?) which was a crappy LP rip with several bonus tracks of EJ playing Hendrix covers live.

I didn't bother asking the slack-jawed yokels at the store about the LP. The last time I tried that (with a weird John Fahey LP), the exchange went something like this:

Me - "Do you know anything about this LP?"
    Yokel - "No. Do you want to buy it?" :mad:

(continuing with the theme of crappy salespeople)

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sorry I can't answer your questions but....

Look at the bright side. If the sales people had to know their product in order to sell it, the store shelves would be empty.

Delivery guy: Do you know anything about SACD?
    Sales guy: No but I'm sure I can sell a SACD player.
    Delivery guy: Sorry, can't deliver this new product here. :rolleyes:

3. Mike

Mike New Member

I don't know the lp you are talking about, but I guess it's a boot judging from this info I just pulled this off the net.

6. What was Mariani?

Mariani was and is Vince Mariani who with Eric on guitar and Jimmy Bullock on bass recorded a demo in the fall of 1969. They pressed 100 copies to use to promote the band in order to get a major label interested. The records were in white covers and were autographed by the band. The band played approximately 10 dates in the central Texas area. No deal was ever struck with a major label and the band broke up in the spring of 1970. The album is now a major collectible worth over $1000 at last count. The album has been bootlegged numerous times with the most recent being a cd from an Italian company which is a horrible out of sequence version taped off a very bad copy of the album. It neither gives credit to the actual musicians nor gives accurate information on Eric's contribution. Eric neither sang or wrote the compositions on the album.

4. Unknown

Thanks for the info, Mike!

5. Mike

Mike New Member

Your welcome. If you ever come across a good copy of the boot (or decide to shell out $1000.00) please post, I would love to hear it. The first time I saw Eric Johnson around 86-87 was a true display of guitar incredulosity. I don't think anyone in the club knew what had hit them. I was in a daze for a week. :eek:

Mike

6. Unknown

As I said, I used to have the (crappy) Italian boot thing. I dropped $25 for that thing, and wound up selling it. I made a tape copy, but I think I got rid of it as well. Besides the bad sound, it wasn't particularly interesting musically, either.

If you don't already have everything, be sure and get the Electromagnets CD on Rhino, the Alien Love Child CD, and "Seven Worlds."

7. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Patrick, did you get a chance to see Eric Johnson on tour this year with ALC and Derek Trucks opening up for him. I saw him at the Moore theatre in Seattle and it was by far the best EJ concert I ever saw. He was having a lot of fun and didn't look as stiff and uncomfortable as he did on the G3 tour. He was moving around the stage quite a bit, his singing was more agressive. His new Live CD is great. I hope he continues with this band and direction he going in.

Best, ED

8. Unknown

Ed, does this answer your question? :D

[​IMG]

Incidentally, on 11/27/2001, I posted the following to the King's X newsgroup:

"It seems like EJ has loosened up tremendously in his live performances. The
    first time I saw him was '96, and he seemed really uptight. The other shows
    I've seen ('98 and 2001), he's been much looser."

Sound familiar?

9. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Patrick, you stud you ! This was a great show to see and from what I hear the tour was a lot of fun for both groups. For the encore they just tore it up with the old Memphis Slim / Bluesbreakers tune Steppin' Out. We had front row center balcony for this show and it just killed me. Such a night ! Before this, the last time I saw EJ in person was either 91-92 opening up for Steve Miller in Saratoga NY where I live now (again) and he was great, but kinda stiff and spoke too quickly between songs. He came back on for the encore to play with Steve and pretty much handed Steve his ass. I wish I could've caught EJ when he toured with BB King a few years back. I saw a video from this tour and it looked like it was a lot of fun as well. First the Dregs, then SRV and EJ, I'm lovin' what your listening to ! I hope your not going to tell me your into Britney Spears as well, I don't think I could handle the disappointment.

Happy Listening - Ed

10. Unknown

Sorry, no Brittney, but I don't mind looking at her.

The first time I saw EJ, Adrian Legg opened. For Legg's last tune, EJ came out and joined him. That was very cool.

If you want some idea of other stuff I like, I have posted a more or less complete of all the concerts I've been to here.

11. Unknown

While I'm thinking about it: how about that Derek Trucks? Not too shabby. After I saw those ALC shows, I bought his two CDs. I believe one of them is OOP. Have you heard his cover of "Giant Steps"? Wicked.

12. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Yeah, Derek Trucks is real good. I'll take him over Jonny Lang & Kenny Wayne Shepherd ANY & EVERY day of the week. I have Derek's 2 CD's and they're smokin'. His stuff has a lot of variety to it, yet you know it's him. I wish a lot of the new "talent" that comes out these days had his kind of talent. Is his version of Giant Steps available on CD ? I think he played it live when I saw him last Winter but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'd say he's due for a new album as well.

Happy Listening - ED

13. Unknown

D'Oh! I meant "Mr P.C.", which is on the first album (but you knew that).

Regarding the Mariani LP, I e-mailed the manager of the store and found out it's on the Akarma label:
    www.akarmarecords.com

Anyone know anything about them?

14. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

You had me excited there for a moment with Giant Steps ! Thought I may have missed something... That Mariani Album...hmmm, I have the Italian CD and don't exactly give it heavy rotation, but I'd be curious to know what kind of condition the master tapes are in for the purpose of remixing and remastering beacuse that CD is pretty hard to listen to. As for the LP, I couldn't tell you but I'd love to know. ;)

Happy Listening - ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.