Eurovision 2022 thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ognirats, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, Ukraine will have to host it next year. Could be interesting!

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well if Ukraine can't host it we may have to anyway

3. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Sweden has already offered to host for Ukraine.

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  4. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Ukraine to host. No fear.

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I thought it odd that Denmark, San Marino, Malta and Ireland were cut early on. All were 'proper' songs, enjoyable, not Eurobeat drivel. Still, fun was had. It'll be a long year......

6. Evethingandnothing

Surprised that Serbia did so well on the public vote. I liked the song, but didn't expect it to do well.

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The European public do not seem much interested in mawkish and/or bombastic ballads, so that's another point in their favour.

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The only thing that could have made me watch the eurovision was if Voyager Australia had been the aussie contribution.

They are REAL musicians in a REAL band who earned their stripes. Not some fakeass freakshow cooked up for the event.

But then again, as always, i was away playing a gig. With real musicians in a real band.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

Yeah, all of those Eurovision songs are written and played by plastic toys that you get in cereal boxes.

LivingForever likes this.
  10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it won last year by a real band full of real musicians?

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Good thing they didn't invite a big shot real artist for a guest performance à la 2019 :winkgrin:

12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

The land of AC/DC, INXS and Midnight Oil needs to rethink its Eurovision stance. The selectors seem to think it's one big drag show, so they choose their acts accordingly. As we saw tonight, the public don't care for sob stories, especially when there's a war going on.

ChoonyFish and JulesRules like this.
  13. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

So many people with chips on their shoulders about "real music"! If Eurovision's not for you, no problem - no need to watch or spend your time sharing how much you hate it. (Cue all the "I can say whatever I want in this thread" responses; fine, you do you if that's what brings you some level of joy.) I find plenty of "real music" to enjoy in the contest, even if not all of it.

Anyway, congratulations, Ukraine! While I wouldn't for a moment suggest that the current situation didn't have an impact on voting, I think it's unfair to suggest that the song itself wasn't worthwhile. It might not have won in a different year, but it could have - nothing about it says to me that it's not deserving on its own merit. It's catchy as all get-out!

I do feel bad for Sam Ryder, though - he was just a generally lovely personality throughout the contest period, gave a great performance, and accepted the result with grace and positivity.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I thought that was an episode of Star Trek where Madonna was assimilated by the Borg.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

My annual take on things, for what little it's worth:

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by our (the UK's) entry. Despite the fact I haven't missed a Eurovision final since I started watching about 10 years old, I've no wider interest and don't follow any of the shenanigans leading up to the night. So I hadn't heard Space Man before, and really thought it was quite decent - in Eurovision terms - when it came on. My favourite song of the evening. Closely followed by...

Iceland. There's a theme here, as my next couple of favourite songs, were rock bottom. Iceland reminded me of a more lightweight First Aid Kit. I liked them. And I quite enjoyed Germany too, whose song sounded derivative of something I couldn't put my finger on, but was performed with some heart I thought, and didn't deserve to be totally overlooked. Estonia were OK too and did better in the scoring than the previous two mentioned.

Being of Italian descent, with a Neapolitan mother, I thought Italy were dreadful - I'm surprised that song's such a big hit there. Maneskin were good in the interval though.

I wasn't enamoured by Ukraine's song, although it was one of a relative few to throw some traditional sounds into its makeup this year, which was appreciated. It's a song contest, but there's a natural feeling of solidarity which is likely to play a part - but it was a proper tune and it was easy to see how people voted for the song.

Not a particularly classic Eurovision night, IMHO, but fun for a lot of us, including us viewers in the UK. It was like the old days for a moment, seeing our name up there in lights for seemingly the first time in forever. I hope it leads to our contingent putting in a similar effort in future - you do a decent song, put on a decent show, and folk will give you a decent score. It's not rocket science. It's been a long time since we really did that, hence a long time since we've been on the left-hand side of the scoreboard.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  16. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

what did you think about this year's Danish entry? Starts slow like a ballad, but turns into a very engaging pop/rock tune with a good hook. I think it deserved to do better.

Reddi - The Show

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    ognirats likes this.
  17. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Dutch entry was good too, I don't understand the lyrics but it sounds very melodic and emotional

S10 - De Diepte

18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I also liked Portugal song

MARO - Saudade Saudade

19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

interesting performance, engaging beat, and I found myself singing along to the chorus biti zdrava, biti zdrava :)

Konstrakta - In Corpore Sano

Max Florian and ognirats like this.
  20. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Not sure it's a chip on anyone's shoulder. SH.TV naturally attracts folks who are more into music played on actual instruments. There isn't anything wrong per se with electronic beats and the like, but it does become a bit numbing if almost every entry has them. I think that is partially a reason why Maneskin won last time. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see a guitar (as was the case with Sam Ryder, whose song was also just all-around better than many other entries). If you go through the history of Eurovision, it started out much more "traditional". Now even the ballads have a disco-ish tinge to them.

21. DiscoFoxx

DiscoFoxx Well-Known Member

It started ok but lost when it rocked up. The skater rock style isn’t to my liking.

22. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I don’t like most songs but I have been watching the final regularly for over 20 years and not so regularly since the early 70’s.
    Lots of fun, beats any of the x-factor type shows for entertainment value. Eurovision parties all over
    Europe and great voting with all the associated politics.
    Europe population is around 800 millions. Viewers of Eurovision semi finals and finals around the world number close to 200 millions. Clearly it makes a lot of people happy.

ChoonyFish, rfkavanagh and JulesRules like this.
  23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

ESC is so boring since nearly 50 years.

DrZhivago likes this.
  24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, the Dutch song was nice and I'm glad she sang it in Dutch but I can't help but think that doing so cost it a few votes. Eurovision went through a period where it was stuffed full of songs written by Swedish songwriting teams, I don't think Azerbaijan have ever been represented by anything but, however that seems to have changed in the last few years.

25. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I stopped watching Eurovision long time ago. Probably around the time when they expanded it to all former Eastern bloc states(countries) and introduced the tele-voting. It quickly degraded from there to become the kitsch parade and somewhat populist political pissing contest.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.