Ever lost a record and you have no idea where it went?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ANALOGUE OR DEATH, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Sean, Comet01 and EddieMann like this.
  2. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I lost an entire box set when I moved house: the John Lennon Anthology. Didn't notice for a few years, until I felt like listening to it. I looked everywhere for it, in every logical place. It turned up about eight years later when we finally unpacked a completely different box of random stuff, and I then vaguely remembered being quite pleased with myself at the time because it perfectly filled a gap in that box.

Lost In The Flood, ARK, drift and 6 others like this.
  3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Just recently realized I no longer have my copy of Purple Rain that I bought not long after its release. Can’t fathom that I would have sold it off as it held sentimental value. Absolutely no idea what happened to it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Any number over the years. Some have resurfaced. Currently Number 1 MIA: Peter Tosh, Legalize It SACD. No possible reason for it to be more than 10 feet from the stereo. That was a pricey disc, too, as I recall.

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

This why I rip everything and keep them on multiple NAS drives. Never misplace a recording again.

6. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Left some vinyl LP's and 45's at parents when I left for college. Don't know where they wound up.

"Band on the Run/19 Hundred 85"
    "Born to Be Wild/Magic Carpet Ride"
    "Comfortably Numb/Run Like Hell"

7. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

After I started getting CD's I traded in some vinyl that I regret, but honestly I think some just disappeared.

Kiss: Unmasked, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Dressed To Kill, s/t, Dynasty...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Johnny Cash: Live at Folsom CD just vanished around 2006. Picked up used copy last year.

The Pixies: Doolittle, Surfer Rosa CD's may have been sold/traded by me, but I'm not sure why as I like both albums...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

I lost (it was probably stolen) a copy of that 8 L.P. Beatles Box from Japan (“From Liverpool” I think it was called) probably 35 years ago. It bugs me to this day. No idea how.

Lewisboogie and Sean like this.
  10. It happens, and if my experience is anything to go by it’ll turn up in a place you never would’ve expected. Never mind radical misfiling, I blame elves.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Similar situation here...lost a Nat King Cole box set and two Sinatra MFSL SACDs. Luckily I had already ripped them before the move. Four years later, I found them in a box labelled “Joseph’s school stuff” (my son) filling the remaining space in the box.

ARK likes this.
  12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Did your parents have garage sales?

ARK likes this.
  13. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

No, they held on to everything so I must have traded them in somewhere along the line...

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Lost an entire box of LPs...I was moving from a storage unit into a new place and I either left it at the curb or someone walked off with it. I still regularly think, "oh, I'll throw on...oh. S**t". :(

Lost In The Flood, D.B., Sean and 3 others like this.
  15. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I wanted to play Sgt Peppers this morning. I went to get the CD and COULD NOT FIND IT.

P.S. I did check, the picture disk is still there.

webdoggy likes this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Absolutely. When I got back in to vinyl circa 2012, I was missing a few albums, that are still missing to this day. I have absolutely no idea where they went, my only guess is, perhaps I lent them out to someone and never got them back. I have also "lost" records in my Ikea Expedit - by pushing them in too far! You can't see the spine and the artist/album name. This at times has gone on so long, I actually repurchased the record :)

LeeGriffin and cgw like this.
  17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I can't find the CD of "Still" that introduced me to Joy Division. I bought this disc right before I left for a 5 year stay in Europe. It was the soundtrack to my earliest days in my new home which involved a lot of long walks through the Czech countryside. It made it back to the states with me but got lost somewhere. I suspect I accidentally left it in a rental car.

D.B. likes this.
  18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

As a kid, I had an HR Puffnstuff EP, with a color, hard-cover sleeve, on the Capitol Special Products label. I think I obtained it via mail by sending cereal boxtops.

I still have all my 45s from when I was a kid, but I can't find this. It is heartbreaking.

LeeGriffin and Buddybud like this.
  19. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I’ve lost a few LPs over the years, most notable ones include Sex Pistols- Never Mind The B*ll*cks original UK pressing and Siouxsie and the Banshees- Nocturne double vinyl original UK pressing. No idea what has happened to them although I suspect they were ‘borrowed’ by a friend at some point.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I have moved many times over the years and every move resulted in the loss of albums.
    I feel your pain.

Sean and Tanx like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Or...they are named I got divorced records.

Buddybud likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Sean and ARK like this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I just found a disc from a Nick Drake Fruit Tree boxset is missing so I'm going through all of my CDs to see if I put it away in another case.
    I'll probably end up buying the single disc (Five Leaves Left) which is cheap enough although it will probably be a different mastering.
    Also, there is a good chance that the missing CD will turn up after I buy the replacement!

Sean and GyroT like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Talking of Prince I have a really bad one, I'm absolutely convinced I bought and kept sealed the Rainbow Children vinyl LP, I'm sure I bought it direct from the distributor and filed it away, I even thought I knew where it was then a few years ago my brother mentioned what it was worth so I went pull it and it was nowhere to be found, I have the Japanese and another CD version, but that LP is really bugging me, my Black Album has disappeared as well.

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

So I bought the 2017 ' Sgt Pepper's ...' box set and had all the discs out for easy access for listening.
    After a month or so I went to put them back in the box but could not find the album-remix disc. Looked and looked and looked for it to no avail.
    Thought to myself : well, so be it. But after some time found I couldn't be without it so bought another copy.
    The next day found the ' missing ' disc misfiled amongst some Beach Boys ones. No doubt put there one drunken/ high evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.