Ever walked out of a movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Rock of Ages: It was just too sexual to view as part of our family outing
    Dunkirk: Not sure if it was just an issue with our theater or that's how the film was made but it was incredibly loud. To the point where it was too uncomfortable to watch any longer.

2. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Never.
    I was just about to do it with "New Year's Eve" (2011) but finally succeded to bear with it till the end.

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Rose (1979) - Thankfully the tickets were free promos!

[​IMG]

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Rabbit Test

Did I do it right?

rockerreds likes this.
  5. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Oh man, I'm going to make enemies if I admit this, but I walked out on the original Alien w/ Sigourney Weaver.

It was as much me as anything else. I was in the wrong mood, and I was having a hard time with the intense sound design/music. So I fled.

Bill

6. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I did have to walk out of Risky Business. The amplifier died and the theater owner informed us that he couldn't fix it. I saw the rest of the film on cable years later.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't "leaving a movie that was broken" doesn't count as "walking out".

What were you gonna do, stare at a blank screen? :laugh:

8. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Can you get a refund for what you spent at the concession stand if the movie equipment fails?

9. Oatsdad

Ya know what? I saw that issue confronted last week.

Went to see "Eternals" IMAX at my local AMC, but some snafu occurred and they told us they'd have to cancel the showing.

They offered ticket vouchers but didn't seem like they were gonna do ticket refunds. I didn't really dig into that because I'm an A-List subscriber so my ticket was "pre-paid" as a 3 movies/week plan - there's no specific ticket to refund.

Some people said they should get food refunds and went to pursue them. I didn't - I was just gonna slide into a different movie so I was still gonna eat my popcorn.

Very quickly, though, they fixed the problem and showed "Eternals", so I don't know if people would've gotten the concessions refund!

I think they would've, though. The AMC staff seemed receptive to that concept...

10. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

11. Randall DeBouvre

gene siskel said he walked out three movies:
    million dollar duck -1971
    maniac-1980
    black sheep -1996
    I saw black sheep. while nobody will ever accuse it of being too high brow, I have seen worse.

12. Randall DeBouvre

roger ebert walked out of after 8 minutes, to much controversy.
    he also famously walked of caligula.

13. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I walked out on Crash and The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea.
    It seemed like nothing was really happening in the latter movie.

In 1994 I almost walked out on There Goes My Baby.
    Kind of a 4th rate American Graffiti.

Almost no one saw it, so I figure very few even remember it.

14. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Did you at least stay long enough to see Michael Keaton's film debut?...alright,it was a non speaking part and was all of 4 seconds but it is well worth it...he's the guy in the sailor suit :wave::biglaugh:

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Actually now that I think about it, yes I did! But I was forced to!

We took my daughter to see Pitch Perfect 3. At the start of the movie, the big fight on the yacht, as if on cue when the sprinklers in the movie go off, the fire alarm in the theater starts blasting! At first, we thought it was part of the presentation, but no - it was a real evacuation. So evacuate we did. It was probably 5 degrees tops outside and we got tired of waiting for the all clear - so home we went.

16. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I know. Pretty funny!
    Do you know what an amplifier does?

17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

We all got our ticket money back and we were allowed to take our popcorn home. The biggest theater in my home town was still using a tube amplifier in 1983. Even worse, he didn't have replacement tubes.

18. Oatsdad

I knew this comment was coming! :laugh:

Yes, I know what an amplifier does.

However, given that the amplifier didn't work, I figured they shut down the entire movie and didn't just run it without sound.

So that'd leave you in the auditorium staring at a blank screen!

19. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Nope, the movie was still running as we were leaving the theater. I guess you could stay if you were a lip-reader.

20. Oatsdad

Alrighty then - I misunderstood! I thought they shut down the film due to the amplifier failure! :help:

21. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Rocky horror picture movie
    Throwing popcorn etc.
    Friend explained it was part of the experience.
    I could care less about that experience

22. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Yes. An example I recall was watching San Andreas at the dollar theater a few years ago and I got a phone call from my now ex. She'd come home early that day and wasn't particularly happy that I wasn't home, so I just immediately went home to try to avoid any drama. There have certainly been several times where I'd wanted to walk out due to the theater volume being way too loud but did not; probably a lot of examples and one I can recall off hand was arriving late for the IMAX Jurassic World and being seated in the very front row by the speakers where it was really loud.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  23. paste

paste Forum Resident

My mom was a big fan of Bette Midler, so I took her to see it on Mother's Day in 1980 and it was a double bill with Alien. After the chest bursting scene, my mom was out of there, which meant I had to leave too. So technically, I walked out of Alien, but it wasn't my choice.

The only movie I purposely walked out of was Real Men with John Ritter and Jim Belushi.

I didn't want to see it, but I got outvoted by my friends. About 15/20 minutes, my friends realized they made a mistake and we ended up going to the next theater to see Stakeout, which was the movie I wanted to see in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.