Ever walked out of a movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I didn't! :p

clhboa likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Now that I think about it, my daughter and wife have coerced me to watch several I would have bailed on if solo. A few Kevin James/Adam Sandler ones come to mind.

I know I walked out of:

House (William Katt movie)
    Honky Tonk Freeway
    Down & Out in Beverly Hills
    The Legend of Oz (because it freaked my daughter out)

I would have GLADLY walked out on “Blended” with Sandler and Barrymore, but couldn’t due to being with other people. Same with “I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry” or whatever it was called. “Grown (Groan) Ups” and “Paul Blart” were extremely painful as well, but fought through them.

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I told a friend about it. He and his wife couldn't make it through it either.

skisdlimit likes this.
  4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Just one - "Color of Night" with Bruce Willis.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This is one of my favorite movies ever. I love the pacing, the performances (Pacino is a bit over the top), everything. Takes all kinds obviously.

blind_melon1 and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Yep, I have walked out willingly on a movie playing at a local cinema before it ended.
    I have only ever done it once thus far, but the film was deserving of it -
    'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'.
    Left during the 'climatic' reveal of the aliens being contained within the hidden temple.

Now I absolutely love Indy.
    I was even fine with Mutt, his 'son'.
    I have no issues with aliens, UFOs, etc.
    What drove me out was just the lame effort this entire picture seemed to be.

The CGI effects spoiled the suspense and thrills for me.
    There was no real sense of perceived 'danger' in any of the stunt sequences or other segments ( ants, water rapids, native horde, etc. ).
    Something was seriously missing for me...even the characters introduced were 'annoying' for the most part.

It started off okay, but by the third reel I had had enough of the nonsense and got up and left.
    First time ever I didn't care to see the conclusion to the story, and I've sat through some cheesy films before fine.
    'Indiana 4' however wins the honor of my one and only 'walk out' thus far.

I have seen the film in full recently and now realize I only had about 20 more minutes to go before it was over!
    DU'oh...!
    Oh well...still deserving of a walk out.

-

7. cds4dad

cds4dad Senior Member

Just two movies:
    Mike's Murder - Went to hear Joe Jackson's music (it was the only thing worthwhile about the film) but couldn't make it through as the title character was so unlikable I didn't care who killed him.
    About Last Night - another film with annoying characters and terrible dialog.

SomeCallMeTim and showtaper like this.
  8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Transylvania 6-5000

SomeCallMeTim and Ghostworld like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thought about this for a bit, and the only two times I can remember walking out of a movie had nothing to do with the movie itself.

1) Allied - got suddenly sick about 10 minutes in and had to leave. Ended up seeing it the next week and really liked it.

2) Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - I went to see this to check out some new format the theater was trying called Barco Escape. It was advertised as a super wide 5.95:1 aspect ratio(almost surround picture) and 11.1 audio presentation. But it turned out there were only two instances during the movie for a total of about 10-15 minutes that even used the wide format. And the surround picture was these panels that hung down from the ceiling and were operated by a loud motor running the whole time of the movie. It was ridiculous, so after about 15 minutes I left and asked for a refund. Never actually saw the movie as I didn't care about it. The first was barely passable and I was only interested in seeing the video presentation.

10. Yeah, I have no idea why even walked out. It's strange because I usually remember stuff like that. Still, I haven't gone back to it these days. Perhaps I should. :)

GodShifter likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wanted to walk out of M. Night Dingaling's The Village, but my buddies were my ride home. Terrible movie.

unclefred likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Just slightly...

"...'cause she's got a GREAT ASS!"

Apparently some info not divulged in the movie but contained in the script is his character is on cocaine which explains some of his grandiose ways and sudden bursts of anger.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Eh, if you left, it’s probably for a good reason. There never needs to be a *should* in anyone’s world view. Stuff hits you or it doesn’t; no judgment.

I do think this was one of the first movies were Al just became “LOUD PACINO CHEWING UP THE SCENERY” Pacino. He’s hard to take in this.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Explains a lot. Thanks for the info.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

In the Trivia section of IMDb...

"In an early draft of the script, Vincent Hanna had a cocaine habit, which, according to Al Pacino, explains his bombastic outbursts."

"In the director's commentary, Michael Mann noted that Al Pacino ad-libbed the line "Because she's got a GREAT ASS!" and Hank Azaria's look of exasperated shock was totally genuine."

Panama Hotel likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s interesting to me that Mann cast DeNiro and Pacino as the main characters, but kept the Hanna and McCauley surnames for, obviously, Italian-American actors. Kind of weird.

17. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

I don’t think I’ve ever walked out on one Plenty I’ve wanted to, pretty picky on the movies I see. Matrix Reloaded and Sister Act (a date wanted to see it) were a close one though.

18. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

I think I was sitting next to you two. You was sighin’ and she were snorin’. Seem like some lost opportunities.

19. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I don't recall walking out myself. However, another kind of memory comes to mind.

Before it was out on DVD etc., Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 15-hour miniseries Berlin Alexanderplatz was shown over three days' time at a local arthouse cinema. The last day, a family (all adults I think) turned up just for the epilogue. I suspect they had no idea what they had gotten themselves into, and I think they made it through 30 or 45 minutes before exiting the theatre, looking very confused.

As they should have.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll contain my laughter.

This seems like one of the "WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT THE MOVIE?" types we like to make fun of. :p

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

In 1979, when I was about 10 years old, my parents heard about this new film called All That Jazz which was getting good word of mouth and Oscar buzz. So, the whole family, including me, my 12 year-old sister, mom and dad, caught a showing one evening. The minute the "Take Off With Us" scene started to, uh, "turn", my mom marched all of us out of the movie theater.

My barely high school educated parents must have assumed the "Rated R" notification on the movie poster meant there was violent dancing.

22. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"Meatballs 2"- A friend of mine wanted to see it. I finally got him to agree to leave about a half hour into it. (I wasn't a fan of the first one, really)
    "Friday the 13th, Part 3D"- Left about 20 minutes into it, I went because I was curious about the 3D effects. (Terrible)

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

See it or be it!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I don't recall walking out of a movie. If a movie sucks, I wanna see how bad it is or if it makes a comeback.

Pinknik likes this.
  25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Actually, I only chose to see three of those films (Hardly Working, Primary Colors & Rocky and Bullwinkle) myself, the rest were picked by others, or I was invited to accompany someone. I believed I bought tickets for only four of them.
    I like to think I generally have better taste in movies than most of those (although I can't for the life of me remember how I ever ended up seeing "Zapped!" with Scott Baio and Willie Aames. Even more mystifying is why I stayed for the entire movie)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.