EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Also what happened in these cases is that the album is completed, or near completion, and the A&R guy decided that it would fail without that one song. You know the story: the band hates it, but if they want to keep their contract or have the album see the light of day, they record and release it. The song takes off, hit #1, the band hates it, but has to deal with it. The label wants a repeat, the band rebels, they get dropped. Or, they make a sequel (In this case, it's "Jimmy Loves Mary-Ann)", the song does moderately well, and the band gets dropped anyway.

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Mystery solved!

Yeah, the media constantly focuses on negatives that divide people. We need a better media. :agree:

AppleBonker likes this.
  3. Wild Horse

I lost track of where his post was, but I was going to quote Sunspot42 and agree that "Word Up" is better than most of the sterile crap that has hit the top of the charts in 1986.

Even though "Word Up" is '80s funk, which doesn't hold a candle to '70s funk, IMO.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. Grant

Yeah, people do enough dividing on their own. We need to know what's going on out there, but don't need the media's help. By that, I mean the opinionated talking heads.

It's the same thing. Parliament, Bar-Kays, The Brothers Johnson, Ramsey Lewis, The Isley Brothers, Earth, Wind & Fire, and others, were doing the exact, same kind of funk in the 70s.

5. Wild Horse

'70s funk just seems more raw to me. I think it's the '80s production. A lot of '80s funk had that electro-funk thing going, too, which I think takes away from it. "Word Up" might even of had that a little (I'm going off memory).

But, I think everything was better in the '70s. :D

pablo fanques and AppleBonker like this.
  6. MongrelPiano

MongrelPiano "When I was young they gave me a mongrel piano..."

I would probably call this one a little bland now but at the time I was captivated by the main piano riff to "The Way It Is". I remember being in an electronics store where a tv was playing the video (age 5 or so), that might have been my first exposure to music videos. All that focus on Bruce's hands definitely reinforced the how piano-centric the song was...heady stuff for a little kid.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We still need to move to the damned next song! :D

Grant likes this.
  8. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I never owned a proper CD player. I started buying cassettes with the White Album in 1980, and pretty much bought nothing but cassettes after that. It was because of my Walkman mainly. I remember still buying the Beatles Anthology on cassette in 1996, but I finally bought my first CD to get one of their singles (Real Love I think) that had extra content.

After that I mostly bought CD, because I had a player in my computer and my car, but as I say, never had a dedicated CD player. :)

Still have never downloaded anything from Spotify. :) I'm nothing if not consistently behind the times!

9. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

The Way it Is

The smooth, easy listening sound of this song is dentist-office ready to be sure. I still think it's OK, and certainly better than some of the other recent chart toppers. My favorite part is the extended instrumental bits where Hornsby shows off his keyboard chops on an actual piano instead of on some electronic something-or-other.

As I said before, I'm not all that impressed by the way he makes his statement, to the point where I didn't initially even realizing he WAS making a statement. If you're going to Say Something, I think it's better if you don't sound like Chuck Mangione's keyboard-playing brother. Even the title of the song is very mealy mouthed. Terrible injustice? Oh well, nothing you can do about it, that's the way it is (sad trombone). I prefer either you go "in your face" with your message, or else go the other direction, and couch your opinions in pop a la the Poppy Family! Only in the seventies did you get sweet pop sounds melded with controversial issues in one frothy and thought provoking package!

Video: The video is ultra average, if that makes sense. If there were a measure for "average", this would hit 100. For a brief moment, I thought it was a parody of McCartney's video for Coming Up, with Hornsby playing all the members of his band, before I realized there was little range in the looks of the Range.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oatsdad Ain't Too Bright Part 839:

I forgot that we did officially move on to "The Way It Is"... even though I already commented on it.

I demanded that we move to that song when we'd already done so.

:help:

ARK, DesertHermit and MongrelPiano like this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"End Of The Innocence" seems almost inspired by this tune. There are certainly similarities in its piano-forward sound. We were still like a year away from a broader shift in the sound of the Top 40, but it was definitely coming - more of this folk/acoustic singer/songwriter throwback sound, as well as more electronic dance music picking up where synth pop had left off. More of the Minneapolis sound as well, which had taken on a life of its own.

12. Grant

I just peeked. No, we don't. :D

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Grant

I think Hornsby was trying to target an older audience that held those sentiments. That audience never believed in the "in your face" approach.

14. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Bruce Hornsby and the Lack of Range

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I kinda like it - it's fun!

16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

It took me years to discover that Ambrosia’s Joe Puerta was a member of The Range. One of the more obscure family tree connections out there

MongrelPiano likes this.
  17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I was hoping not to jump ahead in the timeline, but . . . that to me sounded like a Hornsby/Range song with guest vocals . . . I heard a later (than this, but preceding that) Hornsby song more in that number, though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Word Up is also kinda New Jack Swing though, so it's different than Funk.

MDNA4ever and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Grant

I don't hear it.

ARK and DesertHermit like this.
  20. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Except "Diver Down", which has five covers on it.

The Slug Man likes this.
  21. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

New Jack Swing? Nope. Definitely funk.

ARK and Grant like this.
  22. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Didn't "New Jack Swing" have 12/8 "shuffle" type hi-hat patterns, or something?

23. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I’m not sure but it certainly had elements of funk and R’n’B and a certain hardness and edginess to the beat. I don’t hear any NJS in Word Up though. You compare it to something like what Jam & Lewis and Teddy Riley were producing and it doesn’t stack up as NJS. To my ears anyway.

Grant likes this.
  24. MongrelPiano

MongrelPiano "When I was young they gave me a mongrel piano..."

On a related note, Bruce himself was part of Sheena Easton's backing band for a time:

25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Which is a shame because a lot of the originals on DD (Little Guitars, Secrets, Hang Em High) are among my favorite Roth-era songs.

MongrelPiano, kdd21 and pablo fanques like this.