EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Charlie went back to Denny’s home after the murders (at Terry Melcher’s HOUSE getting back to Kokomo) and left a bullet with his housekeeper, saying “This is for The Beach Boy”.

I am well versed in all things Beach Boys and by all accounts the Manson Murders haunted Dennis for the rest of his life and likely contributed to his alcohol and drug problems which weren’t that big an issue prior to August 9, 1969. It’s another tragedy as Dennis was nearly the musical genius his brother had always been credited as being, but his best material languished in the vaults for decades. He even gave away the writing credit for ‘You Are So Beautiful’ even though those in the room will attest it was his

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Kokomo got overplayed but it's a good song.

Loved the first 1/2 of Cocktail before the fight/trip to Jamaica.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Alright, now for the next one up . . .
    #674 (28th of 1988): "Wild, Wild West" by The Escape Club
    (#1 for 1 week - November 12, 1988)

Over the years, there were cases of British acts whose most famous U.S. hits had no chart presence whatsoever in their native land - two examples being "Smile A Little Smile For Me" by The Flying Machine and "Baby Take Me In Your Arms" by Jefferson. However, this is probably the only case where a British act charted a #1 single in the U.S. but did not have anything of theirs chart in the UK. And it wasn't just here on this chart; Cash Box and Radio & Records likewise declared this the #1 song of the land for all of one week.

Meanwhile, the same UK #1 as up their charts the prior week, was still at the top for this week.

4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Kind of a novelty; it stands out and it was good, silly, stupid fun.

5. W.B.

Yeah, given the UK's fondness for novelties ("Star Trekkin'," anyone?), how this one didn't "make it" "over there" is a mystery for the ages.

6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

This is an impressive run-on sentence.

It's all good - you have clearly communicated your combination of passion and disgust.

ARK, sunspot42 and Jmac1979 like this.
  7. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I've literally never heard of this song.

Not a criticism of the record - I think I may have been close to checking out of Top 40 radio sometime close to this point.

8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I remember it -- annoying at first, then grew to kind of like it. I would have sworn it was a year earlier (at least) than this.

1983 likes this.
  9. W.B.

I may've heard it once or twice, but have almost no memory of it . . .

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  10. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

"Wild, Wild West" - Kind of different for its time and catchy as all hell. Loved it then and loved it now. Not much else to add except that like its predecessor at #1, it was just good clean, pop music fun, 80's style.

By the way, did anyone else hear the line, "Sheriff's on the airwaves" as "Cher is on the airwaves"? That's what I thought it was at first and I couldn't figure out why they would throw her name in there, lol.

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Have no idea what Wild Wild West is about (47 people living in one place waiting for nuclear war?), but it's a unusual track with a lot of hooks in it. Much better than Kokomo, anyway.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It was wildly popular where I lived. It's OK, but, I never really cared that much for this song.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not a particularly good song, and it seems dated as hell...

...but it's catchy and I'm not unhappy to hear it if it pops up.

C+ song overall, but compared to most of the year's #1s, it's great! :D

1983, sunspot42 and R79 like this.
  14. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Wild, Wild West – Catchy and enjoyable. I got very tired of hearing it repeatedly when it was a hit, but it hasn’t been overplayed for me since, so it’s a nice song to revisit.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Wild, Wild West

I laugh when I hear the "headin' for the 90's" part. They probably thought it was going to be like The Jetsons cartoon.

Kinda likeable in it's overall goofiness. Musical junk food.

16. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Mile Love wanted them to stay the fun in the sun early-60's band forever, because that's when he had some importance to their sound.

Imagine being Mike Love in a band with a musical genius like Brian Wilson. :unhunh:

17. Oatsdad

U2 were accused of ripping off "Wild Wild West" for "Get On Your Boots":

"West" kinda rips off Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues", so I guess "Boots" is a ripoff of a ripoff! :D

18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Found this song annoying 35 years ago and...haven't changed my mind.

The confusing thing is a decade before Will Smith did his Wild Wild West, there was another rap WWW that came out just before this one and was big with my friends in Pittsburgh that summer

Beavis and Butthead had a cool segment with the Kool Moe Dee one. Lord knows what they would've done with Escape Club.

ARK and R79 like this.
  19. John Harchar

The drummer does kind of look like the Edge moonlighting (found the video annoying too)

But I don't hear the resemblance to the U2 song at all

Jmac1979 and Oatsdad like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Ha - yeah! Put that "Joshua Tree" era Edge hat on the dude and they'd be twins! :D

Really??? :eek:

I like "Boots" waaaay more than most U2 fans, but I can't deny it sounds a lot like "WWW"! :shrug:

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My buddy and I also liked this one. He had the tape and played it a lot while we drove around town.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

lol... It does get annoying seeing people in my age group (early/mid 40s) with a clear appreciation for Beach Boys-inspired music who simply loathe them and won't even give a chance because the association with all the late 80s Mike Love crap hinders any ability to listen with an open mind.

23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Not a fan at all of "Wild Wild West" but really love a future hit from them a few years in the future that would prove to be their last hit.

24. John Harchar

Nope, don't hear it at all.

25. W.B.

That's okay, I hear things in certain songs most don't. I say something about a song and they're "Wha . . . ?!"