EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I actually prefer her Beast Of Burden to the original.... :hides:

The video is a blast too

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There's gotta be a parody out there somewhere called, "The Wind Between My Knees"...

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

As I said, a since-deceased upstairs neighbor referred to this as "The Mat Beneath My Feet" - he thought the singer was something of a doormat in the relationship . . .

ARK, sunspot42 and 1983 like this.
  4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

It's ok, not everyone has taste...

5. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Uh, that's a bit of a stretch there, dude. :D

I don't know, at least in my high school. You would have been laughed at if you liked Barbara Streisand. I certainly didn't know any guys that had Barbara Streisand albums in the 70's.

Did you go to Judy Garland High School? :D

Hell, I remember getting a little crap from my friends because I liked the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive" :laugh:

I like your new avatar. Firefall was underrated, and is mostly forgotten.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Wild Horse

Diana Ross over Barbara Streisand any day. :agree:

Supremes had a lot of good songs. And "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was a classic. "Love Hangover" was pretty good, too.

Barbara Streisand ... yeah, I'm coming up with nothing.

7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

What is wrong with you? Do you say offensive things on purpose or can you just not help it?

ARK likes this.
  8. Wild Horse

Excuse me?

What is offensive in my post? Is it required to like Barbara Streisand here?

You're the same guy that got all bent out of shape in another thread because I said I didn't like Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks new look and thought she was prettier with the long blonde hair. o_O

Frank likes this.
  9. W.B.

Hold on to your hats, fellas. We're a bit over a half day's away from the next topper. Stay tuned . . .

And as for Ms. Midler, I have two words as to my favourite film of hers: Ruthless People.

10. Wild Horse

Good timing, we were about to have the shoot out at the OK Corral. :D

11. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I have this strange feeling the next #1 is going to get as much or more bashing than Will To Power, Poison and Michael Damien. Hope I'm wrong, though. :D

12. W.B.

In the eye of the beholder - but, as you may say, we'll see (or hear, or whatever).

13. Wild Horse

Debbie's coming back? :pineapple:

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

No, we won't be hearing from her anymore. But the bashing she got here may be tame compared to the next #1 (but again, I hope I'm wrong).

15. Wild Horse

I'm wracking my brain to think of what kind of caca is coming down the chute. :laugh:

That's okay, the least liked songs make for some really entertaining posts from people here.

MongrelPiano likes this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think the next #1 will have it easy compared to three #1's from now, although both acts are two of the most maligned acts to come from the 80s

17. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

I’m always ready to bash a deserving tune, but the next one, while not outstanding, is reasonably decent. It’s an absolute gem compared to Poison and Michael Damian.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I was surprised at the reaction to Poison. Didn't think a Rock / Power Ballad would get that negative a response, but then again there's that old expression about how you shouldn't "assume" things....

ARK likes this.
  19. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

I was floored by the adulation for “Like A Prayer”, so you just can never tell how these songs will go over.

DesertHermit, Wild Horse and Frank like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My best friend when I was 12 in 1979 got into Babs big time. He loved "The Main Event" and quickly became a Streisand superfan.

Was it a shock when he came out of the closet to me 7 years later? Nope! :D

21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

you were? Stereogum gave it a 10/10 awhile back when they were up to that on the #1's. It seems at this point to be regarded as one of the best pop songs of the 80s. I would've been more surprised if it was that way for "Who's That Girl" or something, but "Like A Prayer" at this point is usually regarded as a shining moment in Madonna's career and pop music in general.

KJTC and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

It was like when a friend (who since has come out himself lol) put two and two together about me about 20 years ago. "I kind of started thinking you might be gay when you were talking about how much you liked Cher and Madonna"

23. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

I guess I missed the accolades, and always thought it was more known for its controversy than for being good. I actually enjoy Madonna’s music a great deal, but I think LAP sucks. Had her next one reached the top I would have been here singing it’s praises, it’s fantastic. And the one after that is really good too.

24. Wild Horse

I can picture you guys as teenagers riding around in a car and you're going through the tape case, "Dude, do you want to listen to The Who, Zeppelin, Gun N Roses?" "The Way We Were!" :D

ARK, MikeInFla and sunspot42 like this.
  25. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I was in high school from 1971-74 and literally no one I knew listened to Barbara Streisand. I doubt many were even aware of her existence, except maybe as someone their parents listened to.

sunspot42, Frank and Wild Horse like this.