EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

I really liked "Pump" back in '89, but the overplayed slow stuff like "Cryin'" and "Amazing" from Get a Grip gave these guys a Bon Jovi-ish "we really want to be on radio" vibe which didn't sit so well with me. I had jumped off the fan wagon by the time this came out. I also liked the movie and I'm not ashamed to say it. The song however? Nah. Just schlock....
    2/5

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I got so sick of the Aerosmith ballads that I sold my copy of the "Get A Grip" album. I think "Pump" was the last great Aerosmith album.

Hey Vinyl Man, ARK and sunspot42 like this.
  3. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Before I go on I'll admit I like Amazing better than this, but I quite like I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. It was my No. 8 favorite song of 1998 - but having said that, it wasn't that strong of a year. There was a lack of good rock songs around this time and at least this one fit that bill.

For any vinyl collectors, there was a limited edition 7-inch single that included a heavier-cardboard picture sleeve with the Armageddon info on it. Cool to have!

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

She wrote it! :help:

Wild Horse and Grant like this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yeah it’s one of those but the guys put in the time and paid the price, I give ‘em this one!

Wild Horse likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This went to #1 and not "Janie's Got A Gun" or "Walk This Way" with Run DMC. There is no justice.

It's textbook Diane Warren schlock. But at least it sounds like a hit, unlike so many of the dreadful #1 singles of the past 2-3 years, which have been generic, dull garbage.

"Miss A Thing" is so over the top it's almost borderline Meatloaf.

One of the very last big hits from a legacy act. They were already largely vanishing from the upper reaches of the charts, and if it weren't for the fluke of Elton's Diana tribute, that probably would have been more apparent to listeners like me at the time.

MongrelPiano and Grant like this.
  7. Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

Quite enjoyed the 80's comeback....Permanent Vacation and Pump, but this is just not my thing.
    Oh for the days of Sweet Emotion ehh?

2/5

8. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I’ve never been a fan of the song but I appreciate Aerosmith fully leaning into the camp of it all. Mark Chesnutt was one of the best country singers of the nineties and his cover of it is unlistenable for me because he takes it too seriously.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith

I liked this song too, Until I found out if it was about Barbra Streisand! Loved this song, still have the CD single when it was released.

"In 1997, Diane Warren was watching Barbara Walters interview James Brolin and Barbra Streisand. Brolin said he missed Streisand when they were asleep, and Warren wrote down the words "I don't want to miss a thing", before there was even a song.[7] "When I first heard it," recalled drummer Joey Kramer, "it was just a demo with piano and singing. It was difficult to imagine what kind of touch Aerosmith could put on it and make it our own… As soon as we began playing it as a band, then it instantly became an Aerosmith song." "(Chamberlain, Rich (May 2017). "The stories behind the songs: Aerosmith – I don't want to miss a thing". Classic Rock. No. 235. p. 26."

It was of course also imagined to be performed by Celine Dion, because of course it was!

"The power ballad was written by Diane Warren, who originally envisioned it would be performed by "Celine Dion or somebody like that" "Diane Warren: How I wrote I Don't Want To Miss a Thing, If I Could Turn Back Time and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". Shortlist.com. July 26, 2016."

10. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

In the summer of 1998, The Smashing Pumpkins released their highly anticipated follow up to "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness", "Adore". Having lost their touring keyboard player to an overdose and with talented drummer Jimmy Chamberlin out of the band due his constant battle with addiction, Billy Corgan, who was also dealing with the death of his Mother, took the band in a new gothic, post-punk direction. Fans who were used to the straight forward rock of the previous two releases were not impressed with the new look and sound of their beloved Pumpkins. However, those of us who grew up in the 80's with The Cure and Joy Division were quite thrilled with this effort. Mostly on momentum and reputation, the first single "Ava Adore" found its way to the top of the MuchMusic video charts on August 14th, 1998. Here is "Ava Adore" from the very underrated "Adore".

ronm, sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Oatsdad

I think I like "Miss a Thing" a) because I liked the movie and b) because Aerosmith gives it a little "edge" lacking from the other artists who do Warren tunes.

Not much edge... but a little. :shrug:

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Yes, but there are still a couple of monstrous legacy act splashes still to come.

13. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

It's because the 12 year old girls that keep sending those boring Diva ballads up to number one liked the fact it was a ballad. :D

If they can't swoon to it or dance to it, the 12 year old girls ain't buying it.

Grant likes this.
  14. Wild Horse

They're probably not, but I wonder if Aerosmith was the last big 70's artist to hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100? Possibly the last band, at least.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nope, we still have a legacy "band" I suppose to come at #1.

16. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

I don't Believe you! Or was that next Year?! haha.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Smooth response!

ARK, Hey Vinyl Man and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Ugh, Aerosmith finally tops the chart but has to do it by bring in the ultimate ringer of song craft, Diane Warren.

Unlike most of you, I don't find Warren offensive and she wrote some fine tunes in her day but this is bottom tier. I would declare this the worst top ten soundtrack single of the nineties but luckily Jimmy Page sold his soul to Puff Daddy for "Come With Me" on the Godzilla Sountrack a month prior to this. I won't post that garbage here but 99 cent singles got that into the top five easily. Sony saw a window of opportunity for Aerosmith to finally have a Billboard number one via a limited pressing run much like they did with Celine earlier in the year so they jumped. It added some luster back to the band as they so far had been selling much less product for Sony than they had at Geffen. I'll give it 3 stars but it belongs lumped in with some of the more pandering efforts of Heart & Starship as far as recording outside material to keep the hits rolling in.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is true. This was the time when females officially overtook males as the group that bought most of the music and listened to the radio the most.

Wild Horse and sunspot42 like this.
  20. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Well, I did miss this one.... And I didn't miss a thing as it turns out. :laugh:

I mean, I like Aerosmith and am happy they had their chance at the top. But I'll just pretend it was for Dream On or pretty much any other single they ever released. God, this is such a cliche fest. Warren was cutting and pasting every half-azzed, shlocky sentiment she could think of into this Meisterwerk, especially in that formless middle eight.

I didn't see either of the '98 meteor movies - ArmageddonOuttaHere or Deep Impact - back then. It feels like Armageddon has lasted longer in the cultural memory, but from what I hear, Deep Impact was more cerebral and also not by Michael Bay, so it's almost certainly better.

Hey Vinyl Man and sunspot42 like this.
  21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Moving on again . . .
    832 (11th of 1998): "The First Night" by Monica
    (#1 for 5 non-consecutive weeks - October 3-10 and October 24-November 7, 1998)

First time we saw her at the top, was in a duet with Brandy that clogged the summit for a quarter of the year. Here she's now on her own, using portions of Diana Ross' "Love Hangover" to try to attain a power for her number that the original had had 22 years before. And like most songs that weren't ballads written by Diane Warren and her ilk, this couldn't get to the top of Radio & Records even if it used a pole-vault; there it got no higher than a measly #24. It did somewhat better in the UK, where it managed to peak at #6. During this period, #1's in the UK included a number by a girl group that wasn't the Spice Girls that, in the next year, could only aspire to #67 here; "Girlfriend" by Billie [Piper]; "Gym And Tonic" by Spacedust; and for the pièce de résistance, a record that would be named the #1 song of the year over there - and within the next year, do likewise in this country and be named ditto.

ARK and SITKOL'76 like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Better when Diana did it. Yawn.

MongrelPiano likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No memory of this thing. Yet another song that rips off a vastly superior original. At least it's got a little more energy than the usual R&B dirge from this era, although it still brings "Love Hangover" down.

MongrelPiano likes this.
  24. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

"The First Night" - Another one I remember clearly, and have never liked. The gradual descent into the tuneless morass of 21st-century pop music is beginning in earnest here. It's just the same groove and "melody" repeated ad-nauseum.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. Wild Horse

The First Night

There's a bit of a hook, but it just goes nowhere.

R&B in the 90's was as generic as hair metal in the 80's.