EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Another song that was on the chart and radio at this point was Earth, Wind & Fire's second single from "Gratitude" which was edited from this album version:

Can't Hide Love - Earth, Wind & Fire

As the single edit has never been issued digitally, or since 1976, I could not find it on YouTube. I did recreate the 45 edit many years ago for my own collection, though.

The song was written by Skip Scarborough, a favorite of Maurice White at the time. EWF's version is a cover of a 1973 original that was done by a band called Creative Source.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Made Barnaby Jones worth watching.

:laugh:

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I much prefer the 2:50 edit. I always liked this theme, but thought the TV show was just crap. By the way, the show aired from Feb. 1975 to April 1976, so it was still on the air when this single hit #1.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Right. But on its last legs, as has been mentioned. They must've waited till the song left the charts to pull the show once and for all.

Grant and JeffreyB like this.
  5. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Gary Wright's The Dream Weaver was one of my first favorite pop albums, and I still routinely pull it out for a spin. I think it's magic!

As I've mentioned, in 1976 we lived in the middle of nowhere. There was a bonafide one-room schoolhouse (well, it was a trailer) but it only went through 5th grade.

So starting in the fall of '75, I attended 6th and 7th grade by riding a school bus ... on a 120-mile round trip daily. I got all my homework and a lot of reading done!

The bus had an 8-track player and we were allowed to bring tapes to listen to on the ride. Someone brought the Gary Wright tape and it became a frequent soundtrack for the trip.

Problem was, I never bothered to find out who the artist was, and I got it in my head that it was Peter Frampton. So when I later surreptitiously joined RCA Music Club, one of the tapes I ordered in the 8 for a penny shipment was Frampton's 1975 self-titled because it "seemed" like it was that cool album from the bus.

It wasn't, and a few days later my Mom discovered my little tape collection had swelled overnight, saw the invoice I hadn't bothered to hide, explained how record clubs worked and how my allowance wouldn't possibly cut it, & made me pack them up and return them.

I still can't remember how I finally figured out it was Gary Wright. :laugh:

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I never joined one of those in my youth since the terms were different for those living in Alaska and Hawaii, you know, shipping charges and all. Sometime in the mid 90s, I came across the RCA record club and joined that since there were no such restrictions. Got a lot of stuff cheaper than buying from the stores but unfortunately, it was the tail end of that business practice so my time with them only lasted a few years.

7. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I watched it for Lee Meriwether :)

8. Pigeon City

Pigeon City Indonesian and Asian Music Afficionado

Sorry, sometimes I don’t have enough patience. I guess I should’ve saved that for the end. What song are we on now?

9. Pigeon City

I think it’s a synth. An ARP Odyssey to be specific. An electric sitar features in some other hits around the time, though.

10. Pigeon City

Dream Weaver is nice too. It has some good synths. The 80’s synth thing I actually enjoy unlike some people. I guess I’m more into musicians being replaced by machines, even though I play guitar, flute, harmonica, melodica, percussion and other winds (not reeds, more Recorder/penny whistle stuff).

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  11. Black Thumb

I got really good at maximizing value with the two record clubs. They really soaked ya on those full-price selections required to fulfill your commitment, so you had to keep an eye out for their sales and bonuses and that'd bring your average price down.

Once the commitment was filled, cancel, wait a few weeks and rejoin with a slightly misspelled name and address so their computer wouldn't flag you as a "frequent flyer".

Really beefed up my collection that way, bought lots of releases I wouldn't have bothered with at full price.

12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Can't Find the Judge" was my next-favorite after the title track. I don't really remember the rest of the album.

13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I remember hearing Theme From S.W.A.T. a lot at the time. I never saw the TV series. I wasn't allowed to watch TV after 8:00 on school nights. Doesn't seem like I missed anything. Just as important, I don't feel like I missed anything.

I think it is a correct statement that this is the first TV theme to reach #1. There's more I want to say here, but I'll wait until the appropriate time.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm glad she finally got the long running hit she deserved. So classy.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  15. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I couldn't have hummed a note of the "Theme From S.W.A.T." I know I heard it when it was out, but after a minute or so, I'm sure I was reaching for the dial to find something else.

Or just turn it off, as I did this morning at the 1:09 point. Nothing offensive about it, just boring.

JcS

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was a little young for the TV show back then, but I liked the song and owned the 45!

Grant likes this.
  17. Black Thumb

Why yes, the series did have it's own action figures - along with the van and gear.

All sold separately, I'm sure.

[​IMG]

18. Black Thumb

Peaking at a criminally low #87 was "January", Pilot's 2nd and final failed attempt to match the US success of "Magic". It was a #1 in the UK and just a fantastic pop single.

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Any Pablo Cruise fans here? I liked their first couple of albums but then I moved on. This was their first single which failed to chart on the Hot 100 in '75 but got enough play here for me to buy the album. An underrated gem.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like Pablo Cruise, but only heard them when most people did later in the decade. We'll get there.

21. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

To be fair, he does sing 'there must be 50 ways to leave your lover', not 'there are definitely 50 ways to leave your lover'.

Hey Vinyl Man and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Alright, an excuse to post this gem

SomeCallMeTim and Manapua like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

24. Black Thumb

I unironically love the Cruise! That laid-back no worries let's have fun vibe is always welcome. Not at all surprised they caught on early in your neck of the ocean.

I'm sure a lot of folks who got into them with their breakthrough in '77 (yours truly included) assumed they were a new band even though it was with their 3rd album.

Those first two platters have a lot of good stuff on them, but I didn't get to those til the '90s.

SomeCallMeTim and Manapua like this.
  25. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

But then on the Muppet Show, he claimed to know fifty ways to love your leaver!

AppleBonker likes this.