EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't see that happening. And, was it you that said you weren't paying a lot of attention to MTV in 1986?

Yeah, because either the Black Music Departments weren't promoting them to pop radio, or the pop music departments were ignoring the music. And, i'm not pulling any of this out of my ass. There's plenty of documentation out there about how label A&R was run in the 80s. It was also about the time when the distribution deals started. Motown and A&M were among the first two labels to sign deals with MCA. DefJam was absorbed by CBS. The eventual absorption by labels, and the corporate merging later in the 90s and beyond would have an impact on marketing for R&B, but that time had yet to come in late 1986.

I wouldn't hear any R&B station again until the year 2000.

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Oh man this one was BIG. That doesn’t equate to good of course but it was everywhere for a while. Even inspired a lamer cover a few decades down the road. Upbeat as well

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Not MTV but we did watch Friday Night Videos pretty often. I tended to be wiped by the end of the week and went out on Saturdays instead. The R&B acts were actually getting decently-budgeted vids in '86 and '87, I remember seeing quite a few from acts I hadn't heard of before.

This didn't arise from the goodness of the label executives' hearts, because they didn't have any. It was chasing after Michael Jackson, Prince and Tina Turner dollars. And then Whitney and Janet.

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

What I'm reading about the R&B scene, and especially as far as the charts go, sounds like a replay of the late '50's after the initial rock 'n' roll onslaught and the established "good music" purveyors sought to bury it once and for all, and the charts went into a stupor that never really recovered until The Beatles came along.

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

And the final #1 of 1986:

Girlfriend - Bobby Brown December 27, 1986 2 weeks

HIs first #1 single as a solo artist. I've had this for years and never listened to it. It's a pretty nice inoffensive song. It's interesting to hear him transitioning from a teenager to a man. You can kind of hear the younger voice battling the older voice. It sounds like they did it on purpose.

This song was no indication of what was to come in just two years. Don't be giving it away!:tsk:

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sounds oddly retro, like something from 1971. Kinda surprising although not too far removed from the New Edition teen cheeze I suppose.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  7. W.B.

Actually, there are two "Don't be giving it away's" here. The other has to do with the song title. In just a year from hence.

Grant likes this.
  8. W.B.

Meanwhile . . . let us get to the year-end review of the Top 50 for 1986, shall we? Whatever numbers didn't make #1, as always, will have a YouTube link in the text. Let's go:

1. "On My Own" by Patti LaBelle And Michael McDonald (?!?!?!)
    2. "Do Me, Baby" by Meli'sa Morgan
    3. "Secret Lovers" by Atlantic Starr (peak position #4)
    4. "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne And Friends
    5. "Nasty" by Janet Jackson
    6. "Kiss" by Prince And The Revolution
    7. "Rumors" by Timex Social Club
    8. "There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry)" by Billy Ocean
    9. "I Have Learned To Respect The Power Of Love" by Stephanie Mills
    10. "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz (peak position #2)
    11. "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie
    12. "Your Smile" by René And Angela
    13. "What Have You Done For Me Lately" by Janet Jackson
    14. "All Cried Out" by Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam With Full Force Featuring Paul Anthony And Bow Legged Lou (peak position #3)
    15. "Don't Say No Tonight" by Eugene Wilde
    16. "The Rain" by Oran "Juice" Jones
    17. "Word Up" by Cameo
    18. "Closer Than Close" by Jean Carne
    19. "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker (peak position #2)
    20. "The Finest" by The S.O.S. Band (peak position #2)
    21. "Do You Get Enough Love" by Shirley Jones
    22. "The Sweetest Taboo" by Sade (peak position #3)
    23. "Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent" by Gwen Guthrie
    24. "Guilty" by Yarbrough And Peoples (peak position #2)
    25. "Who's Johnny" by El DeBarge
    26. "You Should Be Mine (The Woo Woo Song)" by Jeffrey Osborne (peak position #2)
    27. "Tender Love" by The Force M.D.'s (peak position #4)
    28. "Digital Display" by Ready For The World (peak position #4)
    29. "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston
    30. "Saturday Love" by Cherrelle With Alexander O'Neal (peak position #2)
    31. "Caravan Of Love" by Isley Jasper Isley
    32. "Give Me The Reason" by Luther Vandross (peak position #3)
    33. "Crush On You" by The Jets (peak position #4)
    34. "Let Me Be The One" by Five Star (peak position #2)
    35. "Go Home" by Stevie Wonder (peak position #2)
    36. "You Don't Have To Cry" by René And Angela (peak position #2)
    37. "If Your Heart Isn't In It" by Atlantic Starr (peak position #4)
    38. "A Love Bizarre" by Sheila E. (peak position #2)
    39. "Going In Circles" by The Gap Band (peak position #2)
    40. "Count Me Out" by New Edition (peak position #2)
    41. "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" by LeVert
    42. "Headlines" by Midnight Star (peak position #3)
    43. "When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going" by Billy Ocean (peak position #6)
    44. "Shake You Down" by Gregory Abbott
    45. "Do You Still Love Me?" by Meli'sa Morgan (peak position #5)
    46. "Greatest Love Of All" by Whitney Houston (peak position #3)
    47. "When I Think Of You" by Janet Jackson (peak position #3)
    48. "I'm For Real" by Howard Hewett (peak position #2)
    49. "Love Zone" by Billy Ocean
    50. "Count Your Blessings" by Ashford And Simpson (peak position #4)

Oddly, I remember #3, 10, 14, 19, 22, 27, 30, 33, 35, 38 and 43, among those that haven't been examined due to their missing the top spot, and outside of the more obvious (i.e. Whitney's hits).

Anyone else available to chime in on those linked singles?

9. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Absolutely adore ‘A Love Bizarre’. Prince has his fingerprints all over it of course but it was a killer single that is sadly forgotten today. I need to give that one a spin soon

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with a bunch of those cuts. I spun a few of them that hadn't hit #1 and most weren't all that great - most felt pretty paint by numbers. But a few of them that I am familiar with are stellar tracks and better than most of the #1s from '86

10. "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz (peak position #2)
    It's rare a Caucasian act scores a hit in the year-end Top 10, especially a hit that never made it to #1 on the R&B charts. One of the best R&B cuts of the year - definitely feels like a preview of the future.

19. "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker (peak position #2)
    Sophistipop-tinged R&B - the classiest thing in that countdown. I'm surprised this wasn't a much bigger hit (and a #1 on the R&B charts).

22. "The Sweetest Taboo" by Sade (peak position #3)
    The women were really bringing the class to the R&B charts this year, weren't they?

33. "Crush On You" by The Jets (peak position #4)
    Another song I'm shocked didn't get to #1 on the R&B charts - probably their best-known single.

35. "Go Home" by Stevie Wonder (peak position #2)
    This was a big R&B number but only got to #10 on the pop charts - I have no memory of it from the time at all.

38. "A Love Bizarre" by Sheila E. (peak position #2)
    This really should have been a #1. Anyone who's following the Prince album-by-album thread knows I'm not a huge fan of her "singing", but on sexy talk tracks like this her voice really works and after "The Glamorous Life" this is easily her finest single and one of Prince's better side projects.

43. "When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going" by Billy Ocean (peak position #6)
    Shocked this only made it to #6 R&B. Billy Ocean really knocks this one out of the park.

47. "When I Think Of You" by Janet Jackson (peak position #3)
    A pop #1 if I recall correctly - her first - I'm surprised it could only manage #3 on this chart. Great single, if not the best off Control. But really, almost the entire record plays like a hits collection.

11. Grant

"Sweet Love" by Anita Baker not getting to #1 is the biggest head-scratcher.

sunspot42 and pablo fanques like this.
  12. W.B.

Now that you mention it, "A Love Bizarre" is the one Sheila E. track hardly any radio station plays today. Only "The Glamorous Life."

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  13. W.B.

Yeah, I was wondering how this failed to make it to Number One whereby you had some where I've hardly ever heard of them that got to the top.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have had her first two albums but after some time I lost interest in her music.

15. Grant

Here we go: 1987

First up:
    Control - Janet Jackson Week ending January 10, 1987 1 week

Never saw this before. The got The Time on this.

Willow and pablo fanques like this.
  16. Grant

And, here's some more about the making of the album.

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Haven't seen the full video in years. Damn she had the moves. Loved this song.

It's funny because the "Minneapolis sound" was just something Prince made up, it was really all just acts he Svengali'd, until Jam & Lewis broke off and - to some degree - bested the master at his own game, at least when it came to churning out pop hits with multiple acts. It also felt like Prince had sort of abandoned his signature sound by this point, at least to some degree, while Jam & Lewis - and another Prince spin-off producer - doubled down on it.

Audiences, as it turns out, couldn't get enough of the Minneapolis sound, and it seems like it was riding higher in '87 than it had been even in '84-'85, during Purple Rain mania.

18. Grant

Those two guys would be Andre Cymone, and Jesse Johnson. Both were in The Time.

And, as we will see, the Minneapolis aka the Prince sound would remain big into the early 90s.

The title track "Control" wasn't my favorite, though.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Control" isn't my favorite either, but damn that's a fine groove.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  20. W.B.

And to think the first big hit out of Minneapolis was "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc., which I don't think had even the remotest collection to Prince . . . no . . . ?

21. Grant

Oooh! Now that I think about it, that song does have a blueprint for the Minneapolis sound. It's in the guitar and keyboard bass.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The weedy synth line as well.

23. Grant

Uh, yeah, that's what I meant by keyboard...

Anyway, it's about this time where it seemed to me like they were going to milk this album for all it was worth.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

You'd said "keyboard bass". I'm thinking the twerpy synth melody line.

We're at single #4 for Control - 3 more are coming. She really took off like a rocket with this one, at least in America.

25. W.B.

I have heard "Control" for sure, so I do remember it . . .