Every RPM Canadian Content #1 single discussion thread 1964-2000

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bunglejerry, Aug 17, 2020.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The U.S. ish:
    [​IMG]
    This saw release in two other countries, both on Decca. The UK . . .
    [​IMG]
    . . . and New Zealand:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Paul C likes this.
  2. W.B.

Not to be the last time in Mr. Jacks' case. We'll see when we get there.

Pelvis Ressley and bekayne like this.
  3. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I couldn't resist.

"Concrete Sea" peaked at #16, #2 at Vancouver's CKVN and #7 at CKLG, #8 at Toronto's CKFH and #12 at CHUM.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  4. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

That makes "Put The Bone In" sound like a #1 hit. :sigh:

bekayne likes this.
  5. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #23 for the first of two weeks the week of September 2, 1972, , "Sun Goes By" by Dr. Music. I'll reverse the usual order: here's the superior album version first.

Here's the edited version that charted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiraoEJ5eBw

[​IMG]

"Sun Goes By" was first released as the B-side of "Gospel Rock" was back in January of 1972. "Gospel Rock" would make the Top 20 in Vancouver (#14 CKVN, #20 CKLG) and #65 nationally the week of April 22.

[​IMG]

"Gospel Rock" was pulled and "Sun Goes By" issued as the A-side, with a new B-side, "Glory Glory". The new 45 would peak again in the Top 20 at Vancouver's CKVN (#12) as well as #17 at Toronto's CHUM. It was a regional hit in the U.S. Midwest (Top 30 in Cleveland, Dayton, Saginaw and Flint).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx1qCyeiFy0

"Sun Goes By" was written by Steve Kennedy, who had earlier hit #1 with Motherlode:
    Sun Goes By by Doctor Music –
    Follow the bouncing ball:
    [​IMG]

Both "Sun Goes By" and "Glory Glory" (but, oddly enough, not "Gospel Rock") would be on the groups self-titled debut album.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The album was a hit, peaking at #23 the week of May 27 and spending 23 weeks on RPM's charts. And at that moment, leader Doug Riley decided to wind things up in order to spend more time on studio work. The group would re-form later in 1972 but without would made them unique, the vocal section (only Steve Kennedy, who could also play sax, would be in the new version). They would reach the charts again, but not approach the magic of "Sun Goes By".

Paul C and colinu like this.
  6. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The same week, at #34 for the second of three weeks, Greenfield sounding like Cat Stevens with "New York Is Closed Tonight" b/w "Roll On John". It was #1 for two weeks on the Adult Contemporary Chart, and a big hit in Vancouver (#7 CHVN, #9 CKLG)

[​IMG]

Greenfield was Barry Greenfield. Born in the U.K., raised in then-Rhodesia, he came to Vancouver with his family at the age of 16 in 1967. Three years later he would return to his birth country to make his musical fortune , ending up in Manchester. His first single would be produced by Graham Gouldman with what would become 10cc backing him. Here's the A-side "Sweet America" (we'll hear his re-recording of this later) and the flip-side, "Dorothy's Daughter" (released in Canada on the Axe label)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iThcKh-nI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0u8GNiJbxc

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul C likes this.
  7. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #59 for the first of two weeks, "Hey Baby" by Crowbar

[​IMG]

As the above ad states, the single was a double-A side with "The Beaver And The Eagle"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKj-bYYiKE

Both songs were on the band's new album, Heavy Duty, also released in Australia and the U.K. (with a different cover). It would peak at #55, nowhere there the high mark of the "Larger Than Life" live album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytB2scwwhsQ

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #71 the same week of September 2, Tommy Graham covering Neil Young's "After The Goldrush" (b/w "Right On"), #23 on the CHUM chart. It had a picture sleeve in Germany.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The album Planet Earth by Tommy Graham And Friends would be issued in the U.K. with "After The Gold Rush" as the lead track. Graham would chart some more.

[​IMG]

9. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #37 the week of September 9, "Feelin' Better Already" b/w "Music Man" by Everyday People.

[​IMG]

Produced by Steve (Dr. Music, Motherlode) Kennedy and Terry (Rush) Brown, both songs were from their only album. Another song from the LP, "I Like What I Like", would be released in the U.S. in the summer of 1973 and become somewhat popular dance tune.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3GxL2gXd0

They would record one more single "To-Day I Feel Like Being Happy" b/w "Music Man" (again). It reached #31 on RPM's Adult Contemporary chart (June 16, 1973).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The band would break up in 1974 and go their separate ways. Bruce Wheaton and Carson Richards would later return to the charts with Molly Oliver, Pam Marsh would become a session singer. As for guitarist Chris Paputts...you know, the only one not smiling in the photo above? He would switch to bass, change his name to Chris Hate and join the Toronto punk band the Viletones
    Canadian Bands.com - Viletones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sA4KoIHqc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_Zx777KCc

Hate (now calling himself Chris Haight) and two other Viletones would leave the band in 1978 in order to form The Secrets.
    Canadian Bands.com - The Secrets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfCN3YmpMLo

Paul C and Mr. D like this.
  10. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

11. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #78 the same week of September 9, "Carolyn" b/w "Woman, Man, Land" by Terry McManus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the label was a reference to an album on A&M. The previous single, "Love Is Wine" (which didn't chart) named the LP as Startin With Brand New (A&M SP-9002). I can find no evidence it was ever released. McManus would chart again, under a different name.

[​IMG]

John54 likes this.
  12. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The same week of September 9, at #27 on RPM's MAPL Top 30 Chart, "Up On The Hillside" by Bruce Cockburn. It would not make the Top 100, but reach #21 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

The B-side "Feet Fell On The Road"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_eHSafCbQ

Both songs were on his third album on True North, Sunwheel Dance (where "Feet Fell On The Road" would be "Feet Fall On The Road")

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

One of my absolute fav songs of this era. The lyrics so juxtapose the upbeat music. I remember when I first heard this song and not listening to the lyrics and thinking it was a happy song about the sun and summer. It still makes me happy to listen to this and I always crank it in the car. I just gloss over the lyrics and groove to the wonderful arrangement.

bekayne likes this.
  14. W.B.

The U.S. ish (not registered as yet on 45cat):
    [​IMG]

bekayne likes this.
  15. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

I don't know what the source is for the above Youtube clip of Greenfield's "New York Is Closed Tonight", but my 45, of which the below is a dub, is a different recording.

bunglejerry and bekayne like this.
  16. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

Here's a 45 dub of "Feelin' Better Already":

bekayne and Foreign Object like this.
  17. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

CanCon returned to the top of RPM's French language chart when yet another Quebecois teen singer reached the summit. Guy Aubin's "Chaque jour que Dieu fait" was #1 for two non-consecutive weeks, the first on September 2, 1972. An English version by Bobby Vinton, "Every Day Of My Life", had reached #14 on the RPM chart on April 29 of that year. The song had also been a hit for The McGuire Sisters in 1956.

18. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

The following week, September 9, 1972, Guy Aubin was replaced at #1 by Patof, a clown from the children's television series Patofville played by Jacques Desrosiers. "Patof Blou" was based on "Mamy Blue", of which the highest charting version on the main RPM chart was by The Stories (#36 in December 1973 titled "Mammy Blue").

The "Patof Blou" 45 had an 'adultes' side and an 'enfants' side. Here's the 'adultes' side:

[​IMG]

It's hard to fathom today that there used to be a time when there were people who did not find all clowns incredibly creepy.

bekayne likes this.
  19. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

After Guy Aubin's "Chaque jour que Dieu fait" returned to the #1 spot on RPM's French language chart on September 16, it was replaced the following week by Renee Martel's "Partir au soleil". The writing credits of "Russell-Kelley-Martel" suggest that this might be another French version of an English song, but I can't determine what that English song might be.

[​IMG]

The following week's issue of RPM did not include a French language chart.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  20. W.B.

He did two different versions: this, and another one in the next year for RCA Victor.

Paul C and bekayne like this.
  21. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

One of the great things about this thread is learning of the early music history of folks who would be part of later familiar bands like Parachute Club, Rough Trade, Pukka Orchestra, the Sattalites etc.

bekayne likes this.
  22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #34 the week of September 16, "Reflections Of My Childhood" by Frank Mills.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"Reflections" was originally the B-side of "Sunshine People" (not on Youtube), which peaked at #55 the week of August 5.

Paul C likes this.
  23. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Peaking at #38 the same week of September 16, "Africa" by Thundermug. It was Top 20 in Ottawa, #24 at Windsor's CKLW and saw U.S. action in Cleveland (#15) and Bay City, Michigan.

The B-side in Canada was "Help Father Sun"

[​IMG]

It was paired with their first single "You Really Got Me" in Germany, with a picture sleeve

[​IMG]

It also had a picture sleeve in Holland, where the B-side was "Will They Ever" (the B-side of their first single in Canada). It would also be the flipside on the U.S. and U.K. releases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was released as a single due to popularity as an album cut, and go on to spend 19 weeks on the RPM chart. They will chart again with the release of their next album.

Paul C likes this.
  24. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #47 the same week, Marty Butler with "Time" b/w "With All The Love In My Heart"

[​IMG]

Neither side is on Youtube. Nor for his next single, "Can't You Hear The Music" b/w "Pillow For My Mind". It would reach #42 on the Adult Contemporary Playlist in December of 1972.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    His next charting single would be from his second album, and that one is on Youtube

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #83 the week of September 16, The Bells with "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", #2 on RPM's Contemporary Adult Programmers List. The B-side was the golden oldie, "Moody Manitoba Morning", both songs taken from the Fly Little White Dove, Fly/ Stay Awhile LP. Which was two album's ago.

[​IMG]