Every UK #1 Single of the 1950's Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by W.B., Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

Giving this a listen right now. Passable, but not a patch on the Mel Carter version over a decade later, and there is probably no song that has risen in my estimation from then to now more than that one. I always say: whenever a song was recorded in different decades, the '60s version is (almost) always the best!

Randoms likes this.
  3. W.B.

Apologies for the label, but this did see release in both speeds on US London, though only the 45 label for this is available for show at this time:
    [​IMG]
    As with Ms. Atwell's record, only the 45 is available for view among US equivalents:
    [​IMG]

4. W.B.

At this point (1953), the song had already been popularised in the U.S. by Karen Chandler:

From what I can see, this version didn't even dent the UK charts.

5. W.B.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. W.B.

Came out in the U.S. on Coral (9)-60985; no labels for either speed as yet.

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I think that's closer to Muriel Smith than to Mel Carter ...

8. W.B.

Finally, a temporary respite from all the new stuff.

9. W.B.

Actually, the reverse: Ms. Smith's version owed something to Ms. Chandler's.

10. W.B.

And with . . .
    . . . the last of the 'charter' entries from the first weeks of the chart depart the scene.

Randoms likes this.
  11. John54

John54 Senior Member

Fair enough, I was only noting a general similarity, without regard to release order ...

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I know I heard How Much Is That Doggie as a child. I've always assumed it was by Patty Page. But I lived in England for a few years in the 1950s so possibly I heard it there by the this British singer.

As for Pretend I first came across this song thanks to Gerry and the Pacemakers. :)

I went to my cd rack the other night, looking for my Nat King Cole collection, and sadly it seems to contain very little from this period in his career. :(

Randoms and Silksashbash like this.
  13. John B Good

Listening to Terry's Theme from Limelight. Very affecting. Don't think I've ever seen the movie.

Randoms likes this.
  14. John B Good

And had to listen to a song called - Oh, Happy Day by The Johnston Brothers. Wondered if they were American, but see on Wikipedia they were British, but not brothers. The song sounds almost the opposite of happy, but I liked it.

Randoms and Yam Graham like this.
  15. Frankie Laine - I BELIEVE
    I like this. Did Elvis cover this?
    More familiar with another version somewhere...
    3/5

Randoms and Silksashbash like this.
  16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

As far as I can see the Karen Chandler version was not released here; her first UK release appears to have been in October 1954 on Vogue Coral. I also cannot see a US release for the Muriel Smith version.

Two other versions were released in the UK alongside Muriel Smith - Alma Cogan (HMV); Jimmy Young (Decca); with the Orioles (London) released a couple of months later

17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

He certainly did

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

US original by Don Howard (released in the UK on Decca's London label)

Oh Happy Day (1952 song) - Wikipedia

John B Good likes this.
  19. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Doggie - I guess it's meant for children. I remember liking it as a kid.
    I believe - perhaps falls a little short of what it could be, but it's fine.

It's a great recording (and an obvious influence on Tiny Bradshaw's "Train kept a-rollin'"), but then I don't think she ever did a bad one.

Yam Graham, Randoms and John B Good like this.
  20. W.B.

Which version I'm familiar with is The Earls' (US vocal group) from 1963.

Yam Graham likes this.
  21. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

A minor correction and an update. After pouring thru this book, I discovered these bubbler charts are not add-ons to the Record Mirror chart, but are rather a collective add-on of new and upcoming records to all 5 major UK charts from this 6.75 year time period 1954-1961. What Colin did was to average all the individual record dealer charts each week (up to 60) as published in Record Mirror, then remove all past and current hits that had appeared on all 5 major UK charts (not just RM), leaving just the newbies. If he had strictly done a RM bubbler chart, then some records would have stayed for a longer duration, and more records (which jumped straight into the other 4 main charts) would have been added. Still though a very fab book for us UK chart freaks.

I then did a check on the RM issue for the week of 12 Feb 1955, looking at all 27 of the individual weekly dealer charts, and determined there were 97 total records available for a full RM chart. A full Top 97 position RM chart! And with more weekly dealer charts in the months and years ahead (up to 60), the possibility greatly exists that weekly Top 100+ charts could be compiled from this data. Something that is not available with any other UK chart, unless their individual dealer charts happen to show up one day, which is very unlikely at this late point in time, but you never know!

Randoms likes this.
  22. W.B.

If you've seen my '70's revisit thread, you'll notice how there is now accounting for the "other" charts on "official" #1's, plus (if any) their US chart positions. And as no doubt you'd know, US charts were as screwy in their own way as the UK's. But yes, all this is of interest to chart aficionadi.

Finchingfield and Randoms like this.
  23. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Right, gotcha, and thanks. :D I just felt obligated to inform that there's now another resource out there to provide even more record chart positions for the 50s than heretofore known. The more the merrier! Cheers, and carry on... :cool:

24. W.B.

Well, if I had a hat, I'd certainly tip it viz your shout-outs.

25. W.B.

#9 of 1953 (#10 in total) - "I'm Walking Behind You" by Eddie Fisher With Sally Sweetland
    (#1 for 1 week - 26 June 1953)

The UK single:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The US single:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wikipedia entry - in the U.S., also made the top of Billboard's and Cash Box' charts.

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.