EVERY US/UK #1 album Discussion 1970-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jmac1979, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listened to the BS&T version of Sympathy, definitely quite strange

2. Jmac1979

Finally an album some were really anticipating on this thread earlier.

[​IMG]

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
    US: Aug 22-Oct 17, 1970
    UK: Sept 12 1970

Ramble Tamble
    Before You Accuse Me
    Travelin' Band
    Ooby Dooby
    Lookin' Out My Back Door
    Run Through the Jungle
    Up Around the Bend
    My Baby Left Me
    Who'll Stop the Rain
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Long As I Can See the Light

BASEDGronk likes this.
  3. Jmac1979

Certainly a highlight in CCR's discography. So many classics it almost plays like a greatest hits album

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

BST 3 - meh

Jmac1979 likes this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

A fine track list, apart from Travelin' Band ...

Jmac1979 likes this.
  6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

This has 1 gobsmackingly great song, Maybe I'm Amazed. And it has a handful of good songs -- Junk, Man We Was Lonely, Every Night, Teddy Boy. The rest, in what would turn out to be a preview of McCartney's solo career, is wildly inconsistent and often feels half-finished. The casual, informal style remains charming as hell, but Paul's always been a genius in need of an editor.

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

A good album but just so-so by Beatles standards. Spector ruined The Long and Winding Road and damaged the title track and Across the Universe. The single version of the title tune, released earlier in the year without the Spector Wall of Sludge, remains the definitive version of that song IMHO, with the "Let It Be Naked" version next.

the nightfly and Jmac1979 like this.
  8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like just about everything CCR issued (Mardi Gras is the lone exception) and Cosmo's Factory is my favorite. It does almost play out like a Greatest Hits album as just about every track is radio friendly. John Fogerty wrote so many classic tunes in such a short stretch of time, it was astounding. They released FIVE albums over a three-year span. Granted, they liked to do long cover jams of old blues standards, but in my opinion, that works just fine next to the blues-based Southern swamp that Fogerty was writing.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  9. Jmac1979

Definitely. It's amazing how much they literally did in such a small period of time. Take the two Mardi Gras tracks out of the equation and literally the other 18 tracks off "Chronicle" all were released in about the span of 24 months. That's literally unthinkable today especially when most artists will take two years between albums to begin with and yet CCR encapsulated a Hall Of Fame career and more classics than you can shake a stick at in that short time.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Blood Sweat & Tears have passed me by. Never knowingly heard a note by them.

The same is almost true for Creedence. I know the odd song but then it's mostly other people's versions. For example, the only original song from Cosmo's Factory I know is Up Around The Bend but I've only heard the Hanoi Rocks cover.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  11. Jmac1979

Judging from chart stats, BS&T pretty much were a US-only phenomenon and never made a splash there, although their popularity began to freefall after the third album. Creedence were a bit bigger there, Cosmo's Factory did top the chart there of course, but they didn't quite score as many hits, even though "Bad Moon Rising" did go to #1 there and they famously never had a #1 single in the states, being locked out at #2 five times

ARK and carlwm like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Unlike the #1 songs that often lean toward novelty songs and flashes in the pan, you could not have gone wrong just buying every #1 album so far! What an amazing time for music. Kicking off with Abbey Road, Zeppelin II, S and G's Bridge, CSNY Deja Vu, Let It Be, McCartney's first album, CCR -Cosmo's Factory all wonderful classic albums that deserve to be heard! Great idea for a thread, though over time this will become more of a train wreck as the public is often fickle and kind of stupid with their record buying habits, but we'll see.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That sounds about right.

Bad Moon & Proud Mary are the songs with occasional radio play over here. Beloved of covers bands too.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  14. Jmac1979

[​IMG]

The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
    UK: Aug 22-Sept 5 1970

Question
    How Is It (We Are Here)
    And the Tide Rushes In
    Don't You Feel Small
    Tortoise and the Hare
    It's Up to You
    Minstrel's Song
    Dawning Is the Day
    Melancholy Man
    The Balance

John54 likes this.
  15. Jmac1979

Need to check the whole album out, as I will shortly. I have enjoyed the albums I've listened to (Days Of Future Passed and In Search Of The Lost Chord) and Question is a killer single.

16. Victor/Victrola

Of the "core 7" Moody Blues albums, A Question of Balance is my least favorite, but I still like it a lot. Starting off the album with the very strong Question is a great idea, but the rest of the album is a bit of a let down, there's nothing else here quite that brilliant. It has the best cover art though.

Here's an interesting cover of Question by Nada Surf:

carlwm and Jmac1979 like this.
  17. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's the single version of Question, which in my opinion is far superior to the overly bombastic version stuck at the beginning of A Question of Balance. I often don't mind bombast but it didn't work in this case, mainly because (i) it obliterated that superb strumming at the outset, and (ii) also obliterated the ringing 12-string in the slow section.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  18. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Question Of Balance - The only Moody Blues song I ever liked was their version of Go Now. By the late '60s they morphed from pop to semi-prog, and I felt a distinct antipathy toward them.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love A Question of Balance. Probably my favourite from the classic seven. Certainly the one that I play the most. The songwriting is first class, I reckon.

Wasn't aware of a single edit for Question. Despite the fact it was a huge hit, I've never heard it on the radio. Keen to hear it!

Jmac1979 likes this.
  20. Jmac1979

[​IMG]

The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
    UK: Sept 19-26 1970

Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Carol
    Stray Cat Blues
    Love in Vain
    Midnight Rambler
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Live with Me
    Little Queenie
    Honky Tonk Women
    Street Fighting Man

ARK and carlwm like this.
  21. Jmac1979

Definitely live Stones at their prime. Sadly their 1969 US tour is best remembered for a tragedy, but this is a band at their zenith and releasing a live album was a masterstroke, especially given they mostly took 1970 off so their contract with Klein would lapse.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Ya Yas - I've always found it underwhelming; part strutting, part ennui.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't know much by the Stones beyond a few hits and Steel Wheels. Throw in the fact I'm not a huge fan of live records and I guess this one won't be for me.

Is Little Queenie the Chuck Berry song? If so, and people like it, I'd like to point them in the direction of REO Speedwagon's second album, REO/TWO, where REO do a storming version!

24. Victor/Victrola

I just listened to this CD today. It's classic Stones - the band that practices very hard to sound like they never rehearse.

ARK likes this.
  25. Jmac1979

[​IMG]

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    UK: Oct 10 1970

War Pigs
    Paranoid
    Planet Caravan
    Iron Man
    Electric Funeral
    Hand of Doom