Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24, 2022 science-fiction action dramedy)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Apr 7, 2022.

1. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

According to Wikipedia, about 23% of the population of Malaysia is ethnically Chinese.

dougotte likes this.
  2. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

My wife and I watched it tonight. My wife didn’t like it…it’s not her type of movie. I liked it but didn’t love it. Very funny and thought provoking in parts. But, I also thought it was too long and some of the jokes crude.

wolfram likes this.
  3. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I'm in agreement with critic AO Scott who said it's basically a relationship movie of a woman rediscovering and repairing her love for her family. All the crazy multiverse stuff is an over the top depiction/distortion of her thought process of rediscovery. Great movie, some of the effects are a bit cheesy but nonetheless remarkable for its low budget and apparent lack of real CGI professionals working on it.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Suddenly, everything is clear.

Max Florian and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Love the title.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

The movie would work better
    if it was book,
    first,

Went tonight, and I surprised by the walk-outs

Hard to follow

7. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I watched (well attempted to) watch this a few months ago streaming.
    I got it but didn't get it. I lasted about 30 minutes.

MichaelH and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It is remarkable and the efficiencies should give studios pause. Movie was imaginative but too much desert and not enough main course.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You know, I didn’t even think about that until you mentioned it. But I just watched the film for the first time, at home on my couch, and I never once picked up my phone or even paused the movie to go to the bathroom.

I nearly always fiddle with my phone while watching things at home. This one for sure kept my attention.

10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I watched it last May at the movies and absolutely f*****g hated it. Couldn't bear all these stupid jokes (like the Hot Dog Fingers or that goddamn Bagel, though that one at least served a purpose) and it felt like it went on way too long. I may give this another try some day, but it baffles me this thing has 11 Academy Award nominations. Then again, the reasoning behind some Oscar winners is just not understandable to me, anyway.

Morpheus, PH416156, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  11. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Watching it now.

[​IMG]

12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well then, you missed the last two hours, which not only explains it, but provides a nearly
    perfect happy ending. I've never understood walking out of a film (unless it was real garbage) but after watching this three times, it's now one of my top 5 films of all time. The main reason of course is Michelle Yeoh's stunning performance, but the entire cast is amazing, and it needs to be seen several times to appreciate
    all of their performances. BTW, go to the video on youtube
    There are probably a hundred videos on youtube about the film, the cast and the meaning of the film,
    but this is, for me, the best. The critic makes terrific observations, why he loves the film, and he adds some
    great humor throughout. Many long clips, and major SPOILERS throughout. But if you've seen the film,
    I highly recommend it. It has his narration as text also at the bottom of the screen, so watch it
    full screen. Also, go to youtube to read the many comments of this video to read how people
    have reacted to the film. I agree with all of them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  13. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

You don’t have to keep hitting return like you’re typing on a 1950s typewriter. Your line breaks are totally different to everyone else’s.

14. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

My wife watched it today. I was working ona project so i heard more than I saw, and it sounded like a Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who, and all the Michel Gondry films mashup…...and it was too long.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  15. poppys

poppys Senior Member

It's a film you have to pay attention to - and be informed by sensorially at the same time. Outstanding.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched about a half an hour and turned it off. I didn’t know it was an American film. I thought the sense of humor was so way off that it was a foreign film. And not a good one.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ever since the woman who inspired Chris rock to get slapped went on her #OscarsNotEnoughSmiths, It’s bending over backwards to be inclusive to the point of “the shape of water” to “parasite”. Oh sorry just bringing out my pet peeves again. Once upon a Time in Hollywood!

18. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

Watched it tonight with the whole family - other half and teenage kids - and we all loved it. Hit the spot completely for us. The humour and the action scenes were great fun, but it was heartbreaking too - it essentially encapsulated basic but vital human values about how we define ourselves and others, and what we miss in-between those broad brush strokes which we use to paint our lives. I thought it was quite zen - in an absurdist rather than serene way. A very special film, one of the best I've seen in ages.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Just watched this. Loved it, I think. Still recovering and processing.

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I don't think the country of origin would have to do anything with it. Many of the "foreign" films (in quotation marks because to me, as an austrian, pretty much everything I watch would be "foreign" from my POV) that raked in the awards are fantastic, like Parasite. EEAAO just happens to be a highly acclaimed film I completely disliked when watching it. Probably
    it's got more to do with the style of the two directors, which just didn't happen to resonate with me at all.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, I find a lot of foreign directors approach to comedy always involves highly stylished characters played to the peak of hysteria. I suppose you see the same thing on American sitcoms... which is why I never watch sitcoms - which are "playing to the pit." So I equate that style of directing with lesser productions. I've always found mainstream Asian films and actors tend of over-emote a bit. There's always lots of shouting, too. lol. I always feel like cartoonishness of the caricatures is meant to carry the comedy, rather than the script or story. And caricatures get old fast.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Note this caption on this photo from a BBC review. "Cartoonish" is the operative word for naming bad directors, IMO.

[​IMG]

23. poppys

poppys Senior Member

You have to allow the ADD of EEAAO to take control of your personal ADD. It's counterintuitive to delivering the plot the way we're used to. If you can't do that you'll miss the story trying to sort chaos.

Max Florian likes this.
  24. The fix is in. Shakespeare in Love.

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Is it vulgar? Not a fan of Superbad/Hangover type comedies.