Evie Sands - The Complete Cameo Recordings 1966-1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smallworld, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident Thread Starter

ABKCO have released Evie Sands' recordings for the Cameo label as a digital download. Evie's Cameo stint continued her fruitful collaboration with Chip Taylor and Al Gorgoni.

[​IMG]

1. Picture Me Gone
    2. It Makes Me Laugh
    3. The Love of a Boy
    4. We Know Better
    5. Angel of the Morning
    6. Dear John
    7. Billy Sunshine.

Evie recorded the original version of "Angel of the Morning", but record company difficulties killed the single's momentum and Merrilee Rush wound up having the US hit version.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. smallworld

"Picture Me Gone" would go on to be a staple on the Northern Soul scene.

3. smallworld

"The Love of a Boy" had been a small hit for Timi Yuro and a b-side for Dionne Warwick before Evie added it to her catalogue.

4. smallworld

Evie's final A-Side for Cameo, "Billy Sunshine", also became popular with the Northern Soul crowd. How Billy left such a beautiful woman hanging is beyond me...

geo50000 likes this.
  5. art

art Senior Member

wow.... is this in hi-res?

6. smallworld

I've only seen vendors offering it in 16-Bit Lossless, alongside the usual mp3.

art likes this.
  7. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

I want a box set across all her labels !!

Mylene, joeym3 and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd love a compilation CD at least from a label like Ace or RPM that crosses labels and includes all her singles.

joeym3 and nojasa like this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"Billy Sunshine" is on volume 9 of Ace's Where the Girls Are series. Great song

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know the song through Billie Davis version of it. I haven't heard Evie Sands version.

11. smallworld

See Post #4

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Nice to see this avail. Good stuff.
    Would Be nice to see this avail. also on CD.
    As previously stated, Definitely deserves a cross label anthology.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is fantastic. I'd only heard the also fantastic Madeline Bell version before this.

Evie Sands must have had very bad luck. She had a lot of great songs which became classics when other artists covered them. She also looked great. I can't understand why she didn't become a big star.

Neil Anderson and smallworld like this.
  14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

You know, ABKCO should do this with EVERY artist in their vaults......make every recording they did for the label available as a download, and offer a 1.29 price for uncompressed FLAC.

I mean, what good is owning the master tapes, and paying for storage if you arent going to use them?

There are MANY collectors world wide who would love to own the Complete Cameo Parkway Masters of their favorite CP artist in their own files.

Me, I'd like to get all the "Beatle Rip Off" albums they released on both CP and Wyncote digitally and in Stereo from the master tapes. It really does amaze me that so little music is available as downloads. The labels, in general, dont seem to be so anxious to digitize the "B" and "C" material in their vaults to make it available as downloads......even tho they would turn a profit on it and after the setup costs are covered, its clear profit for years until the re-digitize.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    swedwards1960 and Man at C&A like this.
  15. smallworld

I wonder if the multitracks for Evie's Cameo recordings still exist? If they do, it would be great to mix them to stereo and put them on CD alongside the original mono mixes.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is there a link to purchase the downloads?

17. smallworld

It's on the usual sites under "The Complete Recordings 1966-1968". I don't know why the "Cameo" has been deleted from the title.

18. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Evie is like another overlooked figure from the same time frame; Gale Garnett. Both have never even had so much as a cheap budget album compile. For shame!

rob68 likes this.
  19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for that!

20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I did download Picture Me Gone. Despite the MP3 compression, sound is okay and way better than on the "A Complete Introduction To Northern Soul" box set. Not sure if this song was ever released on CD otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.