Examples of ridiculous CD prices

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by thnkgreen, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

You can't get them for that price in a charity shop here. No chance.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I'm in central Michigan; I'm referring to "all sources" as in charity and non-charity shops. The longest lived local shop usually has 8-10 feet or so of "free" items outside the door even; I've found things that I wanted there...

c-eling likes this.
  3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My local library had a copy. So I made a copy of it.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Also, you never know what might turn up. I've found CDs that I never knew existed.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

How many stereos do you have to sell to many a living at $10 per stereo. A lot. The general rule of thumb is never sell to a dealer unless you have no other option. And I will donate before bothering with decluttr or music magpie.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I saw one of these sets sell for over £230 the other day on ebay. The seller had a lot of OOP box sets.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Very nice. I don't see one listed on discogs. Not even a Japan JVC copy, which I assume must exist.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Either that, or the listing is part of a money laundering operation.

10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

There are other ways to hear music now so it's not the end of the world. But that's why I'm so confused as to why this stuff goes for hundreds of pounds - they are just digital files on a disc. Ok, it's OOP and the packaging is nice ... but I still don't get why anyone has that amount of money to burn.

Dave S and thnkgreen like this.
  11. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

Owners like that truly don’t get it. Do they really think people are going to walk into their shop planning to drop premium prices for a used CD/record on impulse? Absolutely not. On eBay, the high selling premium used records aren’t impulse buys. Buyers are on there looking for it. Plus there are way more potential buyers on eBay than people who walk into their store. They need to be realistic.

12. ILovethebassclarinet

"Limited production," I'd guess, a policy that has always struck me as being contrary to "actually selling product," not to mention nonsensical; selling is far easier when what you're selling is actually available.
    As for the library, I was doing that with LPs years before the first CD was in a store...

idledreamer likes this.
  13. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Oh yes, me too! As a kid I would get records from my local library (I think the limit was five at a time) and record them to cassettes.

Man, some of those records were beat to sh1t!

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Several years ago a small shop opened near me that sold cream puffs. I went inside once. The pastries were literally bit sized, not as large as cream puffs usually are. They were $4 each or "discounted" to $20 if you bought 6. I laughed and walked out, thinking that there was no way that shop would survive with those prices. I'm not sure whether it's still there now due to the pandemic, but it was still in business for several years at least. So, even though my reaction was that the store owner was crazy for thinking that anyone would spend that much money on such a small amount of food they obviously got enough customers to keep the lights on. What something is worth and/or what's a fair price isn't necessarily commonly shared. It's like that for every product.

15. ILovethebassclarinet

Reminds me of telling my wife years ago that all of her jewelry had "an intrinsic value of $0 to me," even though I did/do understand that that's not the case for her or many other people, just as her interest in lots of the music I enjoy is non-existent.

ARK and Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hasn't been submitted yet for this one.
    Thankfully the seller posted very detailed pictures :laugh:
    I don't think a Japan JVC exists, those were done by Sony.
    In 1987 JVC US were doing a few Sony titles. (a couple with new/unique mastering's) I've been able to get/verify 4 ELO JVC's so far.
    Apparently Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees US JVC is unique and according to a few members (the one to have).
    @princesskiki has a theory these may be un-credited 'club' issues.

princesskiki and Dave S like this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I know early pressings of CDs can be pricey but some of the prices on Discogs are crazy and a lot of them seem to be in Russia as well which has always struck me as shady.

c-eling likes this.
  19. ILovethebassclarinet

20. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Another excuse I have heard lately for not paying people a fair price for their cd's/books/movies/etc is that "the economy is really bad right now". I took roughly 100 cd's and a handful of boxed sets that I was no longer interested in to a different music store here in town. They held the items over night, then called me the next day offering me (I can't remember which) $50 or $70 for everything. I almost laughed out loud. I had spent way more than that on the boxed sets alone. The excuse I got was "yeah, we know it's not a lot of money, but the economy is bad right now". I turned down their offer. Like I said above, thank God I don't need the money anymore like I used to when I was in college.

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Collectors often have a competitive streak. If you are earning $100s per hour, then a couple of hundred for a CD is no problem. Someone dropped 325 Euros on discogs for a still sealed copy Neil Young's Original Release Series 5-8. And I thought the £42 I paid was expensive.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

This is where pictures of the hub are a necessity.
    To complete my ELO CSCS series a couple available were only located from sellers in Russia. They were legit.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. parman

parman Music Junkie

Man the days of $2-3 LP's disappeared around here more than 10 years ago

nosliw and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

What part are you located in, the palm? The fingers? The thumb?
    EL's OK, but Ann Arbor's where I've headed when I want to 'see things that I haven't seen' since around 1969... I hear Grand Rapids is a good place, but I've never gotten there much over the decades.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Those early silver to centre Polygram discs that @carrolls posted are almost impossible to fake since the machines used to make them are long gone. But they have to be truly silver to centre. No small plastic inner hub.

nosliw and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.