Excellent CD finds this weekend!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quentincollins, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd Thread Starter

Damn, it's been a good weekend for CD shopping.

I went to a flea market yesterday in Everett, WA and found a BRAND NEW & SEALED copy of Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall concert (the Phil Schapp reissue) for only $5!! Damn, that made my day. Hell, that made the weekend!

Then I headed to Half Price Books in the same city for their Memorial Day 20% off sale and picked up the Doobie Brother's Toulouse Street for only $5.18 total!

And just little more than a couple hours ago I bought the original Mercury release of the Scorpions Love Drive for $6.08!

Let's see, that's three CD's, one being a brand new sealed 2CD set, for only $16.26.

Hell yeah, it's been a good weekend! :cool:

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I spent way too much money this weekend. But it's rained the whole time, and what am I gonna do? Read? Clean the house? Yeah, right.

First, I grabbed the Beatles EP set from the forum fund-the-Marantz sale, along with the DCC RED ROSE SPEEDWAY, so that's $100 right there. Missed out on VENUS & MARS.

Then I won an eBay auction for the MFSL gold disc of Tony Bennett and Count Basie. Another $25.

And in yesterday's credit card statement were the charges for some hard-to-find titles I ordered off half.com, including discs from Charlie Rich, Pylon, The Reivers (formerly Zeitgeist), and Del Fuegos. I love that I'm tracking down all these relatively obscure Amer-indie bands from the mid-eighties for cheap, but that added up to another $50.

What's my problem, Doc?

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I just started collecting music again, but this weekend led me to find:
    MFSL: The Who-Tommy
    MFSL: Rush-Signals (2 copies)
    MFSL: Eric Clapton-Just One Night
    MFSL: Ultradisc II Sampler
    MFSL: Moody Blues-On The Threshold of a Dream (gave it to my papa)

Man, I forgot how much fun it is to rummage through all the used CD sections!

4. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Personally, I've been taking advantage of Circuit City's $9.99 2-day sale on all CDs... primarily by taking advantage of Best Buy's price match! :)

Too many titles to list, but definitely a lot of bargains to be had, including several brand new releases.

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Not trying to rain on one's parade but......

It's probably a lot more exciting if 'ya been away from it for awhile.

I swear there's never any turnover at the local CD Warehouse store. Same old stuff all the time it seems. I think the employees scoop up all the good stuff.

Their prices ain't that great either, and I see customers come in all the time with used CD's and they always say they don't have any money today.

Don't really know what keeps 'em in business.

Sorry Cliff, just hadda get that off my chest.

Happy hunting! :thumbsup:

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yeah, my favorite used CD shop used to always come through with some unexpected gems, but now they screen their incoming titles for eBay-worthy rarities. Even the stuff in the bins is marked with "out-of-print" stickers when appropriate. No more $14.99 gold discs or $8.99 OOP Blue Notes for me!

7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Actually, I wouldn't disagree with you John. Their prices can tend to be high, but I always double-check with them, and more often than not, it's much lower than what's printed on the CD. I paid $6.49 for a mint copy of Rush-Signals. $14.99 was printed on the disc case. I also noticed that of the several stores I went to, all the same MFSL titles came up. There definately isn't much available, but I just started collecting MFSLs, so any available means another added to my collection :)

8. stever

stever Senior Member

My God, I just got done doing the same thing! Circuit City, at least here in Lincoln, doesn't have near the selection that Best Buy does. My wife wasn't happy when the total was rung up! :)

9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Did a little ebaying myself, grabbed 2 goldies: Blues Hoot & McCartney's 1st.

Also, thinking about scooping another CCR sacd on Tower's 25% off sale.

10. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I picked up Procol Harum- Classic Tracks & Rarities - An Anthology, which is a 2 CD Set, for only $9.99 at Circuit City...just "under the wire"...before the store closed at 9:00 today!

On the shelf, tucked away with "who knows what"...was a 15 track 2002 EMI sampler called New Noise Volume 3, that caught my eye too. It was marked "GIFT CERT" on the price sticker.

Total purchase price....

$10.00 even! (sampler rang up $0.01...yes 1 cent!)

11. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Nice work, guys!

I only found four titles I was interested in at Circuit City (heck, the location closest to my place doesn't even carry CDs... I ended up shopping down in Mountain View), one of which is going back tonight anyway.

But I really cleaned up at Best Buy, enough to the point that I'm not kicking myself too hard over the handful of titles I forgot about.

That "$0.01" thing is common at Best Buy as well. What's interesting is that those value-added discs -- which are designed to be paired with specific titles -- sometimes just end up in the racks. I've picked up the Springsteen 2-track live disc and an Our Lady Peace 4-track live disc under those circumstances.

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

I just picked up Bowie's Sound and Vision set (everything but the outer box) for $18!

13. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Killer Bees

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I picked this one up used, excellent find. :)

Attached Files:

14. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

A VERY good weekend:

Ten Years After Shhh/Cricklewood Green MFSL
    Jethro Tull Passion Play MFSL
    Red Hot and Blue: Tribute to Cole Porter MFSL
    XTC Oranges and Lemons MFSL
    Springsteen Tracks Promo
    Count Basie Basie in Paris MFSL
    Sonny Rollins Saxophine Collosus DCC
    Ted Hawkins Next hundred Years MFSL