Experience Hendrix extend Sony Deal ...................

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Over all I think EH have put out some fine releases over the years, even pre Sony.
    It took EH a few years to grow into the role and I would like to think they are still open to furthering that growth by becoming a class leader just as Jimi was at the forefront of music back in the day.
    Things that need addressing?
    Parity of release worldwide.
    Expanding Dagger.
    Better web site.
    Better customer relationship.
    More transparent.

Are Sony the perfect partner for any or all of these? Only time will tell.
    What I do know, there are some exciting releases to come.

2. Gordon Johnson

AYE 50th birthday (Hendrix - Are You Experienced) *

the MISSED 50th AYE was discussed here!

Yes, missed. Should I celebrate Christmas 2017 next week or leave it till summer 2018? Should I celebrate Easter and call it Christmas?

EH have had control of the Hendrix Catalogue since 1997, 20 years. 20years to plan any and all of the 50th releases, what did we get for the Are You Experienced 50th? A few lines on a web page, far out man!

As for keeping the celebration for the US AYE 50th, well in truth that would be a joke as this is
    A/ Not the original album
    B/ Not the 50th anniversary of the original album release

When you say missed opportunity, this is it. dates been and gone ................... missed opportunity !

crozcat likes this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Do you mean vinyl that NEVER entered the digital realm at any stage?

I have no idea, EH and Sony remain tight lipped on this even when it comes to US pressings. Some may say they are being dishonest to the customer!
    The question is, did the metal parts get shipped to Europe from the 2010 masters done at Sterling NY? I don't think they were but that's just me thinking as I don't have the pressings [only the US ones].

I also don't know what happens if / when they do use the stampers in the EU when it comes to later pressings. Do EH / Sony send fresh stampers for a re run of a title?

I do know that when it comes to some of the EU pressings they are clearly from a digital source and the mastering has been found wanting.
    My advise is to buy from the US on release and pay double the US costs when factoring in shipping ......... watch out for other charges too!

4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I think the 1997 "core three" CDs are reasonably true to the sound of the original LPs, and I'd be surprised if any further remastering didn't make things worse in terms of too much bass and brick walling. I would however be glad for extra CDs with demos and the like. That said I listen mostly to JH mostly on original vinyl.

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sure, to each their own and all that. They are too dynamically compressed for my tastes:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database - AYE 1997
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database - Axis 1997
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database - ELL

The original CDs from the 80s were significiantly more dynamic. As I've stated earlier, if they go in on new transfers from the masters, particularly on SACD, I'm all in. Right now my "go to" digital version of these three is a needle drop of the 2010 AAA LPs. I love 'em, but that's kind of sad when you think about it.

Edit: In an older thread I posted waveforms of the Japanese Blu Spec release (uses the most current EH mastering), the original Repirse CD and a needle drop of Axis: Bold as love in cased anyone is interested.

Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge Blu-Spec 2 cds to be released

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    hvbias and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Another sign of mismanagement by EH.

DTK and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Are there proper outtakes from the Axis sessions floating about, enough for a deluxe

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wouldn't doubt it.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bite your tongue........you might give EH ideas, whether they exist or not!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

...or, for the very reason that it has been in circulation for eons (and in reasonably good quality), EH doesn't consider it profitable to release the OOS material. Might actually be a smart piece of management, from a strictly business standpoint.

DTK likes this.
  12. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I think there are almost 30 takes of Bold As Love. The one on the purple box is awesome! There's got to be a few other decent takes to hear.

jhm likes this.
  13. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I have those. They are low quality but very interesting.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I definitely see your point, however to date they've been marketing (via Sony/Legacy label) to the mainstream (I'm not counting Dagger Records here). While I agree many hardcore fans will have this material already, I doubt the general population have heard a note of those outtakes. There are many (IMO) worthy candidates for a companion disc to Are You Experienced on those discs. Add to that Eddie Kramer's "studio magic" and I'm sure already great sounding tracks could be made to sound even better. Assuming that was true, it might be enough to even get the hardcore to pony up for another copy of this classic. Look at the recently released Sgt. Pepper's 50th Deluxe for the Beatles. Some of those outtakes definitely circulated amongst collectors before the set came out, yet apparently it's sold very, very well.

Gordon Johnson and Headfone like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They could collect a few alternate versions at least. I dunno how interesting 20 instrumental takes of Fire is. And there are several Axis outtakes that have never circulated outside the tape library. They

By the way I just visited the Hendrix/Handel museum on Brook Street in London. Highly recommended, they have really put a lot of effort into restoring the bedroom we know and love from photos. A bit mind-boggling to sit in the spot where Jimi sat.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I defer to @Gordon Johnson but I question if those are really all analog. The original pressings not only sounded better, but when my friends and I compared needle drops (burned to CD on a Naim CD555 cd player) vs live LP playback the two sounded incredibly similar if not identical with the added vinyl colorations of his system though his Dynavector XV-1s is pretty transparent.

I agree there is definitely room for improvement on the CDs when it comes to dynamic range. The SACD of Machine Gun sounded even better than the original BoG LP, so I have hope!

Opeth likes this.
  17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

You actually believed him? I knew that was semi-BS the moment I read his quote at the time. Why semi-BS rather than full-BS? Because PH&A WAS to be the final studio release - of the then current Sony contract, with any further studio tracks being held back as bait for the next label distribution deal. They contracted to Sony for 2 "new" studio albums and they gave them 2 "new" studio albums - they weren't going to give Sony more than that "for free" or just out of the goodness of their hearts.

It wasnt just Kramer "presenting his own feelings on the matter". Janie also said in a separate interview that PH&A was to be the final studio album - unless we find more tapes in the future... :rolleyes:

DTK likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There's only some barely alternative mixes in duff sound in collectorland from the Axis era sadly.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Correct, as long as there's money to be made, they will milk the dead stud....

Was two studio albums actually a clause in the contract with Sony?

Like many, I thought Kramer crossed a line he should never have crossed with his Frankenstein creations. Most of them sounded disjointed, with vocals flown in and placed on the wrong beat etc. He cheapened both his own and Jimi's legacy. Bummer. The truth being there isn't any more material in the vaults fit for mainstream release. Just accept that and package the material honestly for us collectors.

DJ LX, crozcat and Maidenpriest like this.
  20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I don't know, but I strongly assume so since that's what we got. Plus the previous deal also gave us two "new" studio albums - FROTNRS & SSD.

DTK likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is highly unlikely that the copyright owners of music are going to defer to bootlegs as the primary representation of specific archival material, particularly quality performances. How many people do the boots and torrents of such material reach? EH can reach a far greater consumer-base that bootleggers, and frankly, a number of fans who have access to the booted performances will typically buy the official version as well, if anything for a potential sonic upgrade. EH has a history of trickling out material. They do not release multiple performances from session reels in one place, and by doing so, they are able to keep the vaults lined for future releases and to show there are assets for future licensing deals.

Deek57 likes this.
  22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'm hoping we get some nice box sets of the original albums in the form of the recent SGT Peppers. Hey, it could happen!!

905, DTK and marmalade166 like this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

This is all in good time for his 75th birthday, which is of course in the run up to the lucrative Christmas period!

905, DTK and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Bring on the Bernie Grundman uncompressed remasters of the core catalog, including Band Of Gypsys. Add in the mono mixes of the first two albums (and ELL, if there is a mono mix) to make these more interesting for the average punter. OMG, EH, Jimi's fans are literally dying to hear this.

25. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Kramer's role in these releases has been disappointing. The only thing I can figure is he knows Janie would release this stuff regardless and he at least has some (but not much) say in its presentation if he's involved. That is, he'd rather be inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent being pissed on. That, and I suspect he's being well compensated for lending his imprimatur to EH releases. Everybody has a price. :rolleyes:

Purple Jim, DTK and PacificOceanBlue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.