Experience with today's hi-end integrated amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jh901, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've owned Luxman's flagship integrated amp, the L509X, for a year now. It's an absolutely fantastic amp that grows on me every day. I've never heard their Class A amps which I'm also sure are amazing, but its their "separates in one box" product and definitely delivers.

Tim 2, Raylinds, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love my McIntosh MA9000. 300 watts per channel, has a great DAC and phonostage, and it sounds amazing.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope to land a "purist" integrated with no phono or DAC. Ideally, I'd like any extra cost to be invested into the line stage, power supplies, and amp section. Perhaps Luxman offers a special edition of the L509X?

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There's no DAC in the Luxman (I pair it with their exquisite DA-06). It has a phono stage I've never used but I don't believe one needs to worry the budget for such subtracted from anything critical. I feel the 509X follows in the tradition of "Japanese statement products" - its their TOTL, no compromises or corners cut product. They'd simply charge more if they needed to.

jh901 likes this.
  5. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

The Vitus' DAC module is optional. It is pretty damn good, being based on one of their standalone DACs.

That Luxman is well worth a listen (being a biased owner of a Luxman CD/SACD player).

Tim 2 and jh901 like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Luxman probably isn't purist enough. Tone controls I don't need and meters that I would turn off when listening. Quality amp but too much of the cost goes into a esthetics. Likely as this is the retro look the Japanese market demands. Rather expensive as well. I think there is better sound for less if you look around. Doesn't have to look ugly. It's hard to find a purist super integrated which should be true dual mono design to compete with separates. Maybe more options with tube amps than integrateds strangely.

In this comparison a lower model Luxman didn't exactly impress the reviewer enough over a 20 yr old Denon.

jh901 likes this.
  7. jh901

The meters, tone controls, and especially the phono stage are superfluous. That said, there simply won't be many semi-affordable integrated amps that will tick every single box. Vitus, Gryphon, T+A, and Pass are some of the established uber hi-end. Stripped down, hardcore editions of those may not exist even with a special order. Oh, and $$$ becomes fantasy for some of us!!

Yeah, true dual mono. And, for me, legit end to end balanced.

I don't believe that for a moment.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Awww @#$&, the entry level Luxman didn’t impress a YouTube video?

Formal apologies for mentioning the brand. I should know better. :shh:

macster, Blank Frank and jh901 like this.
  9. jh901

Pretty sure most of us will ignore that.

You're experience is far, far more valid. How many have this Luxman integrated in a secondary stereo!!!? That said, I'm coming to hear your Audio Note speakers. Don't try to starve me out of the sweet spot either. I can fast for a good 17 hours!

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

not a fan of luxman either. my old $2500 rogue audio cronus magnum sounds better than the $9000 L-590 AXIII to my ears. they look impressive though.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have a customer who owns both as well. The Cronus definitely bests his old Luxman separates, but the new Luxman amp is also pretty sweet. Not the same as the Cronus for sure, but neither are bad at all. I suggested that he get the Rogue separates, RP5 and Stereo 100, which I know rocks, for his big system but I think he is a bit brand affixed and can't peel himself away from the big VU meters.
    -Bill

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The luxman is sweet but not as trasnparent. the class A fog as it seems to be.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's accurate about the sound, but it's not just about the class of operation. Class A amps can be designed to be dead silent and very transparent to the source. It's likely a combination of thermal noise and gain stage design which give the Luxman its signature sound. The class A operation does likely add to the warmth in this case, but it can be due to a lot of other factors as well.
    -Bill

jh901 and avanti1960 like this.
  14. jh901

Competing integrated amp threads! Who would have thought. Hahaha.

My separates are nearly certainly stiff competition up until the Pass Labs or Gryphon Diablo 300 territory. Well, at least as far as SS is concerned.

I've nearly gotten my power and signal cable situation upgraded as far as I'm able to. About time to get an integrated in here!

Stay tuned.

Tend to doubt class A is incapable of transparency. Aren't most cost no object SS amps class A?

15. Blank Frank

I think Sugden would disagree about Class A fog, likewise Krell.

Mad shadows and jh901 like this.
  16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have heard-never owned-Luxman. Only because I couldn’t spend the money-they are excellent amps and you have a gem! I have a Yamaha A-S3000 which has similarity to the Luxman in sound, features and heirloom build quality( I only bought it because a Buddy had a employee accommodation-approx one-third cost purchase). Enjoy your amp.

jh901 likes this.
  17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Tim 2 and Mr.Sign like this.
  18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Have a listen to the Vitus SIA 030. 30 watts class A- incredibly transparent...

19. Blank Frank

The guy I bought my R-101 from was incredibly impressed with the SIA 030 and not just because he sells them - his eyes glazed over and he started to drift away when talking about it...

Tim 2, jh901 and varyat like this.
  20. jh901

I wouldn't even dare home demo. Heck, I'm "suffering" as it is having borrowed Shunyata Alpha speaker cables. Thought I wouldn't experience much. Wrong! LOL. So now I'll be waiting by the mailbox for a couple weeks.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have always loved Luxman gear. Not only does it sound great and is well built, but they look great.

Tim 2 and jh901 like this.
  22. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Forum Resident

My vote is for the Gryphon Diablo 300. I've wanted one of these ever since I heard the Mephisto last year. Just look at the massive power supply with huge toroidal transformer. It's high current at 300 watts per channel that doubles in to 4 ohms. Yes it's expensive at 20 grand for a fully loaded design. But compared to what? It's a bargain compared to CH Precision and any of the other Swiss brands in the uber high end integrated category. I describe the Gryphon as lush and warm sounding but at the same time has a lot of resolution. I heard they match well with speakers that are neutral and have high resolution like the Focal Diablos.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Anyone thinking about integrateds in the Luxman/Gryphon/Vitus price range should absolutely also check out the Riviera Labs Levante. It's one of the best I've heard.

LEVANTE - Riviera

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. Sdp

Sdp Well-Known Member

I just bit the bullet and bought a I1 from CH, Holy Cow it's good!!!

jh901 and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. jh901

AVM Audio

^I've had the Ovation A 6.2 ME for several months now. Lacks the sticker price of the elite integrated offerings from Audionet, Vitus, Gryphon, CH Precision, and the like, but I feel that it offers remarkable sound quality and, perhaps, unparalleled value. Of course, "value" shouldn't necessarily be a consideration for audiophiles. I get that. I decided to invest a good bit into Shunyata products. I could have gone cheap there and maybe ended up with the Gryphon or similar. That said, with no budget constraints, I'd have Audionet amplification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.