Faces - How do you rate them?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great band. Stay with Me rules!

The MEZ likes this.
  2. Sounds about right. When they were good they were very, very good, but when they were bad, they were meh.

lennonfan1 and uzn007 like this.
  3. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Debris is one of the most poignant songs I've ever heard.

4. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Five Guys is great, a rare box set that actually caused a lot of people re-assess them as a band. Of course, it makes the case better than the albums they released in their time. Those were a little spotty. But they really played all the music on Five Guys.

I refuse to compare them to the Stones, but the evidence shows that they a very good band whose albums didn’t quite capture what they were really doing as well as stuff captured on stage and at the BBC. By picking from all those sources, Five Guys shows them in a better, more well rounded way. They were a kickass band that probably deserved better.

5. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

I love that band just for the lyric. I'd kick Miss Judy's peroxide poodle!

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Isn't it "cross-eyed poodle"?! Either way (peroxide or cross-eyed) it's a great lyric.

7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Because of this thread I just spent 3 hours listening to the Faces, and I have to say, on first impression, NOT GREAT.

Some good songs but the great songs are few and far between. No great albums either.

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Boo!

To be fair, it took me much longer than one afternoon for me to appreciate how great they are.

9. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I would have LOVED to see these guys open for the Stones.

10. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

For the time frame considered, almost a toss-up, but I'd have to give the edge to Faces. Rod was certainly a better singer than Mick ever was and made three great albums with Faces (the first three). The Stones released Sticky Fingers -a pretty great album-in that period, and Exile On Main Street, which was 3/4 good at best. Both groups' albums were spotty in terms of material, but Faces were warmer and more fun. So this poor man has to conclude: Faces were not second to Stones. And I'd come to that conclusion if were rich.

Surferghost likes this.
  11. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

It’s $78 on there at the moment, the 5 guys boxset is $25. I might have to jump on both of these. Great prices on there, I assume it’s all legit?

12. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Yes - absolutely legit - I've ordered from them many times, including the Faces box set I mentioned. No worries...

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  13. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

An amazing band for a short time just as good as the stones and far looser.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Definitely the latter.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Why isn't Overtures and Beginners (live album) available on cd??

16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It is/was.. Maybe unavailable now because it was on the Mercury label not Faces label Warners, could be a rights issue ?....

17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Any band with Ronnie Lane has got to be pretty damn good.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great band in their own right! First Step (originally credited to the Small Faces, but their first with Rod), Longplayer, and A Nod is as Good as a Wink... (my favorite) are 3 of the greatest rock'n'roll albums ever made and A Nod... doesn't have to take a back seat to anything by the Stones. I haven't heard Ooh La La, Snakes and Ladders, or the live album, but I remember the reviews being mixed and leaning toward unfavorable. Are they good?

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Changed the title to make it less of a "Faces vs. Stones" discussion and more of a Faces discussion.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Accomplished rockers . . . but not very "deep."

22. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Oh, pish-posh. Rod made them do that one.

a customer likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

One of the best bands ever.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Love 'em. The Faces, that is. Pretty much every serious Stones fan in the 70s was also a Faces fan and the Ronnie Wood connection brought the Faces many a fan from the Stones when Rod Stewart was asking (rhetorically) how sexy he was?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I remember it being in print on CD for a very short while, late 80s maybe ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.