Fairport Convention: The Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'd recommend Pure & Crooked from 1990 or thereabouts. It's outstanding.

Timjosephuk and The Lew like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Angel Delight is a great one. Rosie is the only one of the first nine Fairport albums I don't love. Nine is fantastic.

Because there was so much Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson music to get (I need a lot more of his) I haven't got any Fairport albums after Nine. I will pick more up in time. So much music, so little money!

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think there's a tendency among the Hipperati to disregard any Fairport album that doesn't feature Richard Thompson and/or Sandy Denny. They're both brilliant, for sure, but it does mean that there's some wonderful stuff that gets overlooked.

Agree with you on Angel Delight. Phenomenal from start to finish.

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There's a lot of great stuff on Rosie, I reckon. The Trevor Lucas songs, The Hen's March, Matthew Mark Luke & John etc. Unlike many fans, I even like the two Peggy contributions. What makes it sound slightly uneven for me, are Swarb's songs (the gospel writers aside). They are all lovely but they are such a different style to the rest of the material, it gives the album a slightly schizophrenic feel. They would have been a much better fit on Rising For The Moon.

Having said that, it's still an album I spin quite regularly so I've obviously got used to its Janus like approach over the years. :)

Agreed on Nine. It's terrific. Babbacombe Lee is the one I struggle with, for some reason. I must try harder with it.

Hope Chemically Altered doesn't mind us discussing these albums out of order!

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hopefully not!

I haven't played Rosie much or for a very long time. It's the only one I don't own as I got given a promo CD-R when it was remastered. I tend to forget I have it. I wasn't impressed with it then, but it was a long time ago. I'll revisit Rosie soon. Probably when this thread gets to it. I like Babbacombe Lee, but it's the kind of album I have to be in the mood for. It's not a mood I'm often in!

Dignan2000 and carlwm like this.
  6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The version of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John on Live At the BBC is fantastic.

carlwm likes this.
  7. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    My all time favorite ahead of Liege & Leif et al.

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'll look it up, thanks!

9. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Like Dominoes :agree:

carlwm likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:righton:

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The LP of this was one of my first Fairport albums. Sublime stuff. The version of I Don't Know Where I Stand is my highlight. I bought the expanded remaster then the Fairport and Sandy four disc BBC sets afterwards. There's something special about Fairport at the BBC.

Timjosephuk and newelectricmuse like this.
  12. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Criminally underrated. Jack O Diamonds, Time Will Show the Wiser, I Don't Know Where I Stand, Chelsea Morning, The Lobster...if that lineup had held together they'd all be Fairport classics now.

uzn007, Kiss73, Bowland and 2 others like this.
  13. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I've always been glad that I bought the Fairport Unconventional Box Set.

Kiss73 likes this.
  14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The Dave Swarbrick and Martin Carthy sets also from Free Reed are worth every penny. Two of my favourite box sets.

The Uncoventional box set has suffered from much of the earlier material being subsequently released in other packages as well - but its a great addition and has some fabulous info within the book.

15. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I also have the Steve Tilston box which is nice.

carlwm likes this.
  16. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

If you buy from Free Reed now they've run out of the booklets and sometimes the actual box so you just get the CDs which is a bummer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Chemically altered likes this.
  17. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I bought the Ashley Hutchings Box a few years back without the booklet which spoilt it a bit for me.

Chemically altered likes this.
  18. fried

fried Forum Resident

I managed to find this and Unhalfbricking on vinyl at a car boot sale for a pound each bach in the nineties. The version of Suzanne is stunning.

Bowland, carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Think they are just selling of scraps of whats left. The haven't produced any new releases for a while.....Check out Discogs and ebay though...the Swarbrick one was on ebay for £35 the other day.

carlwm likes this.
  20. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I have them all except for the Richard Thompson. Er I dont think I have it, I'd better check :D

DiBosco, carlwm and Kiss73 like this.
  21. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Yes it is. Sandy Denny's entrance on the song with the line: "When Jesus was a sailor..." is one of the most spine-tingling moments in all of rock's history. Thompson is superb on there too with his chop-chop guitar.

Freek999, Buddybud, rtalwani and 4 others like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's the definitive version, at least in my house. :)

Chemically altered and uzn007 like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

One of the first CD's I bought after getting a CD player.

Chemically altered and carlwm like this.
  24. fried

fried Forum Resident

Even my wife who's a big Cohen fan agrees!

carlwm and Chemically altered like this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There was an issue of Prog magazine with a nice multi-page feature on Judy (and some vintage photos printed large) and included a short CD with a couple of rarities from her 'missing years' (one song A Better Side Of Me mentions St. Albans and was written and recorded by another woman whose name escapes me, but I liked the Judy cover equally to her own) and then some previews from then forthcoming new recordings. I think the same Prog also had a feature on John Renbourn if I remember correctly, an unusual issue of the mag.