Fairport Convention: The Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Steeleye's version is excellent as well but in, truth, change the lyrics of one of them and most people would be hard pressed to realize that they were branches from the same tree. They are at least as different as Taurus and Stairway To Heaven, if not more so. :D

Steeleye's effort is as folk (as opposed to folk rock) as the band ever get. John Kirkpatrick gives it a real country dance authenticity, as you'd expect. Fairport take a different approach and - essentially - a different melody/arrangement and rock it up splendidly. I love the way that it seems to spontaneously burst into Sheriff's Ride for the solo. Both winners for me then! :righton:

I would love a new traditional album from Fairport. It would make a nice stop-gap between contemporary ones. :)

WHMusical and Chemically altered like this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks my friend. Much appreciated! :)

adriatikfan and carlwm like this.
  3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I chose It's Alright Ma, It's Only Witchcraft because it's one of the few examples we have of RT in full on Sixties Guitar Hero mode that we have, a position he fills admirably here with his acidic stinging lead. See also Mr Lacey and another choice of mine below...

Agreed on the long version of Reno, Nevada from French TV, Ashley Hutchings talks about it being a good representation of how they played live at the time, and you can definitely hear the jazz influence in their improvisations which Ashley also writes about in the first album notes. It's a real shame that we don't have decent live recordings from this era although I do have this from later in the year after Sandy joined

Fairport Convention w/ Sandy Denny
    Concertgebouw
    Amsterdam, Holland
    1968-09-xx
    SBD > VPRO Dutch Television Broadcast

1. I Still Miss Someone
    2. Like A Bird On A Wire
    3. If You Feel Good, You Know It Can't Be Wrong
    4. I'll Keep It With Mine
    5. Mr. Lacey

There are a fair few great versions of She Moves Through The Fair from the '60s (I'm particularly fond of Davey Grahams' both live and studio) but this stands tall amongst them. the band cast a beautiful atmosphere and Sandy gives a gorgeous performance floating above...

A Sailor's Life has long been a favourite of mine with it's trance-like sound that I remember reading in an article by an Indian musician shares a lot of similarities with some forms of Indian classical traditions. Although I love both versions I would say the released w/violin is the better take although on the alternate take you can hear RT better in guitar hero mode.

Ah, Matty Groves :winkgrin: I love the story being told here, it's funny as hell and again Sandy really sells it (of course she does! :p ) whilst the bands grooves along splendidly. And having just listened to the track again I have no idea why I discounted the superb instrumental section and can only plead mea culpa!

And I just had a quick listen to Poor Will and The Jolly Hangman and it sounds a lot like RT's later solo work - which of course means it sounds great!

4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yes...that Sandy Denny box is stunning...I missed it too!!

Gavaxeman, WHMusical and adriatikfan like this.
  5. Yes I misse it as well.

I haven't really tried, but I wonder how much of that box set could be cobbled together from other releases.

David

WHMusical likes this.
  6. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I feel guilt (almost) for admitting I actually got a copy of Sandy Denny (19Cd set) when it came out, but by fluke. Had ordered it from my Local IRS and assumed it would come in, then the next month I see ONE on the shelf on my annual visit to Freakbeat Records in Sherman Oaks (L.A.). I though, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I would just have a safe copy for later. I snatched it up right quick! As it was, my Local IRS was never able to get it in, so I was left feeling VERY lucky to get one!--especially as I had not had such luck when the Sandy Denny on the BBC Cd came out in the late 90s and was immediately withdrawn. Luckily, later, it got the box set treatment.

Anyhow, it really is a dazzling 19! Cd set, almost too much to take in, and most, but not all of it redundant, if you own the previous Denny box sets: Who Knows Where The Time Goes (the first box set I ever bought (on Lp) back in 1985, before I owned and Denny LPs and FC Lps, except maybe two) and Boxful of Treasures. Both of which I have kept. If it is any consolation, though i have never fine tooth combed through the set, I have yet to hear alt. versions or demos and such tracks that were superior to the versions on the first Denny box set, but then, YMMV.

During a recent excavation thru the early years Cds in this set, I did come across very nice early Denny covers of her then boyfriend´s ¨Blues Runs The Game¨, and her hero´s ¨Go Your Way My Love¨.

Finally, the book and the paraphernalia which came in the box set are really cool and arty. But, not at the silly prices I hear this goes for now. I count myself lucky in this case.

cheers!:cheers:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  7. Chemically altered

Lucky is an understatement. Good on you son!

WHMusical and carlwm like this.
  8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I briefly had the similar massive John Martyn Box Set on order at a sub £100 price from amazon Germany that got cancelled due to a misprint on price ..very annoying

9. A good friend had the 4 CD version of The Notes and The Words, the Sandy Denny box. When visiting him a few years ago I noticed he had it and I asked if I could borrow it. No problem, he said. I subsequently lost the damned thing! We don't talk about it anymore. I have no idea how I managed to lose it in transit between his house and mine, but I did. I never even listened to it !

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I guess I was blessed just to know someone who got that massive 19 disc Sandy box... a reason to play lotteries for?
    [​IMG]
    I'm just assuming there is nothing solo released since that's either not BBC, not in this, or terribly high quality?

Chemically altered and Gavaxeman like this.
  11. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

What is The Notes and Words? Did you lose your mate's Sandy Denny box set?:whistle:

Becca Bear, I cannot make heads nor trails of your sentence above and below this box set picture. Please clarify if you can. Did you get the box? Solo? BBC:confused:?

12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It’s a 4-CD set taken from the Big Box:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it’s expensive enough that you don’t want to lose your friend’s copy (or your own). :)

13. I've been listening to the expanded Heyday CD again (great collection of songs) and noticed a couples of flaws: Severe ticks and skips in Nottamun Town around the 50 second mark and severe saturation distortion in Fotheringay. I suspect the Nottamun Town issue is a manufacturing defect, as this BBC track (same performance) is included in the Unconventional box without these ticks and skips. Not sure why the compilers didn't pick the excellent 'Symonds On Sunday' performance of Fotheringay without the Brian Mathews blather and saturation distortion (plus its an excellent performance). A real head scratcher of a choice.

14. Chemically altered

I don't have the answer but I always enjoy your posts that reference these types of different tracks found on compilations. They add a lot to the album discussion and always make me seek them out when listening to them. :edthumbs:

adriatikfan and Pete Puma like this.
  15. Thanks :).

This thread's re-emergence got me listening to Fairport again (a cyclical thing for me).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  16. beccabear67

Sorry. I was trying to suggest that I was able to make copies from the set I was allowed access to (and didn't lose). Only the bits I didn't already have mind you, for my own self only, but it might be considered a sort of cheating by some. I've done this fairly often when one friend or another has a box set with otherwise unavailable stuff I don't have/can't have/can't afford. Obviously I'd much prefer to have the physical item, but at least I can supplement what I have gotten.

I'm thinking this 19 disc Sandy box is still the final words on everything she recorded outside of groups. I think I have all the groups and BBC material I want already between vintage vinyl and modern CDs/bonus tracks on reissues.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Chemically altered and WHMusical like this.
  17. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I too missed the 19-CD Sandy box... I did manage to get the BBC box, the 1985 Who Knows (on both vinyl and CD), and the Notes and the Words 4-CD set (gift from a good friend)... that plus her main albums and I think I'm good. .. oh, and Sandy Deluxe with the live disc... Rising for the Moon deluxe with the live disc... .. maybe it never ends!

I am hoping to find the Fotheringay box at a decent price soon....

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. beccabear67

I must have the same Heyday as I was disappointed in the sound quality on some tracks as well, just assumed that was the best available of that particular BBC broadcast at that time (sometimes better does show up as you noted). I have many really low-fi tracks taken off the air at the time from the BBC by someone or other in their home; placeholders until something better might one day surface. As with old B&W Doctor Who episodes, we can always hope! There's a very early Beatles with Pete Best like that. Better than nothing but sad when you can imagine how great something would've sounded originally.

19. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Just came to comment..a great group and I have several of their albums.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Always great to see some love for Fairport! :righton:

Got any favourites?

lemonade kid and Kiss73 like this.
  21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I managed to get a great used copy of the Fothingay cd box set at a reasonable price - really good album and nice set of extras - need to find a good used version on vinyl now

lemonade kid and carlwm like this.
  22. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I have an original vinyl and it is well worth the search!

:cheers:

Gavaxeman likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just picked up Bonny Bunch of Roses today and enjoyed it on first listen. The production is a bit dry though, but also very clear. I'm happy to have this and it will be played more. I also got Lindisfarne Live for £2 in excellent condition.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've had the single through my hands a couple of times and remember it being the album version of If (Stomp) on the B-side. If there are any differences they're miniscule and it's not a different recording.

lemonade kid and NumberEight like this.
  25. Chemically altered

Two really good albums. Enjoy! :)

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.