Fanny...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mju-Sick, Sep 12, 2021.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A great read, although she's certainly not sentimental about any of it!

Hall Cat likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Their kids are incredibly talented as well - Eric and Julie Slick. Eric was the drummer of Dr Dog and Julie is an amazing bass player. They used to be 2/3 of the Adrian Belew Power Trio.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

4. pghmusiclover

Fanny posted that the story I quoted above requires a subscription, so they posted it on the Fanny website.

From Facebook:

The New York Times published an article this morning about Fanny and Bobbi Jo Hart's documentary "Fanny: The Right To Rock." It's an interesting read, but unfortunately it is behind a pay-wall and some have expressed they could not read it.

With that in mind, I have posted the article word-for-word at the FannyRocks website with credit to the author and a link to the NYT article. If you can't access the article on the NYT website, you can read it in its entirety at FannyRocks.com.

New York Times Article Reprint – Rock Band Fanny

5. Yep. I saw them play with Adrian. They were awesome.

RAZORMADE and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. pghmusiclover

7. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

They are back again!!

Aggie87, Greenalishi, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  8. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Better late than never! This "upcoming" doc has been doing the festivals for over a year and aired months ago on the Canadian TV network that commissioned it.
    Note that the photo here is of the pre-Fanny band the Svelts — Fanny in matching outfits is unimaginable! The Times has a caption, but the reprint doesn't.

RAZORMADE and SG47 like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes! :)

10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Sure does, but in that lengthy and interesting interview, she says (paraphrasing) that she isn't a fan of Janis!

11. bangkok19

bangkok19 I drank to your health, but ruined mine!

I've had my mint-cond vinyl copy of MOTHER'S PRIDE since the 70's... I recently bought the Real Gone CD for the bonus tracks.

There is a brilliant demo version of BESIDE MYSELF on that CD however (and very unfortunately).. the NR took a bit of the 'sharpness' from it!

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He hired them right out of the Paul Green School of Rock Music, the precursor to the School of Rock franchise operation.

13. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Saw the documentary on Saturday night along with a Q&A/performance with Brie Darling and Patti Quatro. The doc is well done and definitely worth checking out whether you are a fan or not.

14. manco

manco Forum Resident

So they were the female version of Vanilla Fudge?

15. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Huh? They were rockers with great chops, but very melodically minded. Even the drummer was always creating little arrangements for each song, and never soloed.

16. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

Not having examined every post on this feed, I must put a nod in for their Beat Club performance of Ain't That Peculiar.

A band clearly on form and a handy bit of slide playing into the bargain.

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

joy stinson and jay.dee like this.
  18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The band are good as well.

19. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

From June Millington's YouTube page :

" Yesterday I was in the IMA barn in studio B, checking ProTools out to see if it was behaving. It was! and in the process I found this Fanny rehearsal track, me Jean Alice & Nicky working at Fanny Hill, super-early days. I mean, the bridge wasn't even written! The first comp was somewhat cobbled together for a backing track for my audiobook - still in progress - of "Land of a 1,000 Bridges" and the second is as is. You know, if I were to give us a grade I'd say we were in the Third Grade (I almost put us in first!), busy trying stuff out. You can hear Jean working through bass parts, me working through guitar ideas - ok, I'm practically in kindergarten! - Alice has a lotta stuff going on (she's so *good*!) and Nicky's busy comp'ing away. By that I mean, playing the simplest chords/groove over and over again; it could be boring, but I don't know that she'd ever had that job before (I never asked), and we were all just trying to improve individually, and as a band, as fast as we could.

I almost censored myself from putting this together but thought, I always talk about how much we played - fooling around and rehearsing, I don't mean performing and recording - some folks might find this really interesting. And they like us, they'll forgive our boo-boos!

So, please enjoy. Most of the photos are from the Linda Wolf stash, some you've seen before but I discovered some new outtakes ... and maybe six photos were taken by Bob Riegler, our pal the Vietnam vet who returned to LA and managed to discover and hang out with us. Lucky guy! The main thing was: stay out of our way, and don't bother to talk too much. Too busy, you know? It all worked out, and he left me the negatives.

What a trip to hear this again. Memories ...
    xx

June Millington
    Artistic Dir., IMA
    www.ima.org
    "

20. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

The obvious (to me) question is...:

With this resurgence of interest (the documentary, the newspaper features, etc)...

Is there a chance of the Fanny BoxSet (First Time in a Long Time) being re-issued??

jay.dee and RAZORMADE like this.
  21. pghmusiclover

Greenalishi and RAZORMADE like this.
  22. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Older brother and sis had their first album with hey bulldog …it was very good.

23. joy stinson

I may still as well…bought the album then as did older bro and older sis.

24. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Yes, Fanny Hill is a great album, but it's actually their third. Recorded at Apple Studios. Fanny Hill – Rock Band Fanny

joy stinson likes this.
  25. joy stinson

Thanks…I didn’t know as hadn’t read about them in the music mags then. I knew album was recorded at Apple studios. I didn’t know about them till the Fanny Hill album.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022