Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Right. Unfortunately, a very small proportion of the music market. The enthusiast market!

2. The most elegant solution for those folks IMHO would be to ditch the dedicated music server hardware entirely and instead set up a QNAP or Synology NAS to store their music AND run Roon Core, and then hook a USB DAC to the NAS. You would then control playback (and configuration, settings, etc.) from an iPad. Right now, only certain QNAP and Synology NASes can run Roon Core, but using a NAS instead of a separate server or computer and renderer is ideal. Less complexity, less network traffic and latency issues, etc.

3. In other words, it’s not as simple as just asking the HomePod to play tracks off Apple Music. However, you could ask your phone (or computer) to do that, and then playback would be through the HomePod. It’ll work, but probably not the solution you are looking for. Also, Hi-res files will be downsampled to 16/48 for transport over AirPlay 2. Redbook will be at full quality.

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As is the entire market for a $2000 Sony hard drive!
    I'm sure you're right but for those not wanting to use a computer the Sony is a good solution.

5. I wasn’t arguing with you or any of the points you made, or disagreeing with you, but rather was just adding on to your points. Sorry if it seemed that way!

mongo likes this.
  6. Agreed. It’s a nice piece of hardware but it is for a very limited market.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The OPPO UDP-205 is an AirPlay device? :confused:

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Isn’t it? The Sonica line is. I guess I am mistaken!

9. SamS

Nope. And unfortunately the Sonica products don't support AirPlay 2, which is a brilliant way to manage multiple speakers and/or output devices.

10. Based on the above comments, I’ll have to revise my statement above. The UDP-205 does not appear to be able to stream media, at least not through AirPlay. However, if you relocate your hard drive to computer running iTunes, you will be able to stream the music files to a HomePod. If your 205 is connected to your home network, it probably could access the hard drive files as well.

11. Right, but they support AirPlay (the non-“2” version) and are able themselves to manage multiple speakers and output devices—of the Sonica variety, at least.

12. SamS

True, but once you go AirPlay 2, it's hard to go back :)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. It certainly makes it easy. It is so simple to use, with such a basic interface, that it’s easy to forget how much complicated engineering come into play. It’s hard to make things work effortlessly!

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm going to ask a silly question: Can I directly stack two Oppo's on top of each other without fear of future damage from the weight? Specifically, a 103/203. Right now I have them on separate shelves but I need to add a new component to the stand and I'm debating my options.

15. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I think you'd be fine with regard to damage. I'd put the component you use primarily for disc playback on the bottom.
    What do you plan to use the 103 for that you can't use the 203 for?

16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 105 sitting directly on top of an Oppo 93. No issues.

17. Pizza

I use both. I have region free cards in both but I keep one set for B and the other for A to make it easier.

18. Pizza

Thank you for the reply.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Nice...........hmmm
    Now that's an OPPO MAN!

Btw, just got my second Silver edition 105 today that I bought on Christmas eve..
    :O :-O :-O.
    Beave

Pizza and David P. Hill like this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Pics?

21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

23. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

The 20X refers to the Oppo 203 and 205. This update is the one for HDR 10+ and a few other things. I was all excited until I found out my LG OLED tv doesn't support HDR 10+. I will download it anyway when it becomes official.
    The beta version is only available through usb download or a disc sent from Oppo.

24. aroney

Yes, hence the "20X". :D

scobb likes this.
  25. aroney

Yes, there are other improvements as well, so worth it whether you have HDR capabilities or not.

TMRY likes this.