Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What function is that?

2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

That would be the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, correct? Or am I confusing that with another product?

DarkSideOfTheMoo, jhm and BGLeduc like this.
  3. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Streaming apps; Netflix et all, I suspect.

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  4. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

All my main equipment Vincent 236mkII, Esoteric sa-50, Definitive Technology bp7000, 7002 are all 10 years old at the end of this year. Never sounded better. In fact DefTechs Chet, the wonderful and and knowledgeable parts and tech guy has giving me on the very cheap all the parts to almost make both bp7000 and 7002 new speakers.
    I needed a tweeter and a bad amp and from then on got many parts for almost nothing? Love DefTech and Oppo was very similiar and Im sad. John M.

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, other than streaming apps - or perhaps SACD-R playback ability - I can't think of what features a Sony Blu-Ray player like that would offer that the Oppo doesn't. (Not saying that as a fanboy; I literally just can't think of any other features.)

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

103 has a Netflix app.

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I hear you Bill. That’s why I hold on to my old equipment for a few months when I buy something new. Helps to sort things out. :)

BTW, check Craigslist. I got an absolutely mint 105D for $600 from a guy who lives 3 miles from me. He was dumping it when he got a 205. Never hurts to look. :agree:

tmtomh, The Beave and Bill Mac like this.
  8. The Oppo 203/205 players just became more valuable - Samsung announced they are halting production of 4K UHD players and exiting that business.

9. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

There's not a whole lot of titles on 4K is there? I'm hoping the Beatles films get released, among a few others.

10. There are a decent amount of titles being issued on 4k media and 4k streaming.

11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Holy chit!
    Well, the oppos just went up again in value!
    Man, this just gets more intriguing......
    Beave

12. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I have an Arcam CD93, which does not decode HDCD, but still sounds great.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. The Beave

But what about the cd50?

14. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

?

15. Apparently Samsung is getting out of the player business altogether. They are quitting manufacturing both Blu-ray and UHD players.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My main CD player (Leema Acoustics Stream) is eleven years old now. Still a great player, albeit as a transport only now, though it's not too different, tonally, from the Roksan K3 DAC that's now handling the conversion duties.

apesfan likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

The Arcam CDS50 is SACD/CD only, but can handle FLAC, WAV, etc., files. The usual suspects really. The chipset is Sabre ESS9038, so no HDCD decoding.

18. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Mostly newer releases?

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

20. Not necessarily. There are a lot of older films being released on 4k. Here is a more or less current list of what has been released on 4k UHD—it doesn’t include streaming video released in 4k:

List of 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Titles – HD Report

21. The Beave

Yes, this mini beast :

Arcam CDS50 SACD/CD Player with Network Streaming

Way short of what the OPPO ‘s play, BUT....if you only use your OPPO for 2 channel audio only, like I do, then this is a contender. It’s got the same ESS SABRE DAC that the 205 uses and it does SACD. I don’t have any DVD-A discs so the only thing this is missing is HDCD decoding, but I have an Emotiva CD-100 that does HDCD!
    XLR’S and rca outputs and it’s a dac also and a streamer.
    Steep at US $1200 but we here in the USA can buy the U.K. model for £599, which is $773, which is much cheaper than buying it here fron MD or Crutchfield for list.
    I just don’t know much about Arcam, this unit, like the OPPO ‘s are made in China, but other than that, don’t know much about the player. Looks nice and clean and it has auto AC power supply so it ranges from 100 volts to 240 volts, all that you’d need is right US Power cord.
    But anyway, the saga goes on, nice to still have OPPO discussion here.
    Beave

22. That looks really promising as a CD/SACD/network file player!

I’m not sure if it utilizes the ESS9038PRO that the 205 uses, or the less capable ESS9038K2M.

Arcam uses the 9038K2M variant in its SA20 amplifier, instead of the TOTL 9038PRO.

See here:

Arcam SA20 Integrated Amplifier Review

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    tmtomh likes this.
  23. The Beave

I would say the k2m then although searching the net google was not our friend on this question.
    But it is an interesting alternative for OPPO enthusiasts that are 2 channel only users.

Now the reason I’m even interested in the arcam is to have something new to play with. Since the OPPO 103 is doing video duty in the family room, the 205 and 105 are doing duty in the living room stereo rack, but they’re overkill realistically in the stereo, if I got the arcam and it sounded as good as the 205 then I might be inclined to let the 205 go to someone who can utilize it more to its potential especially in a video situation, which mine will never be in.
    Plus, you know, the hobby and the relentless pursuit of something different and new new.
    Pathetic ......yeah, but this might be a win win situation for me and someone else....
    Now a question for you smarties out there, if I did buy a U.K. Arcam unit and mated it with the proper USA power plug I should just be able to plug it right in and go right. The players power supply will do the converting and I should be good to go correct?
    Beave

24. Brother_Rael

I think if you can select the voltage required on the Arcam, then yes. If not, you might need a step up transformer?

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, you need to check to see if it has a 110/220v dual-voltage power supply. If it does, you're good to go with a simple converter plug.

Billy Budapest likes this.