Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I use a Harmony hub and a Firestick 4k streamer. For a total of $75 you really can't go wrong. My HTPC does CD rips better but pretty much everything else the stick holds its own.

Mooserfan likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Oh I see; good point. It's gonna work wonders with my 32¨ 720P LCD Philips then, which is all I need. And since it's a 103D,will add the possibility to stream Netfix into an otherwise dumb TV.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The new OLED's must have improved greatly in the last 2/3 years as on my 2016 LG OLED it's tuner and upscaling is virtually unwatchable when comparing it to my Oppo and even my 5 year old Panasonic PVR (the first one with 4k upscaling)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Does anyone know if the Sherwood Newcastle SD-860 outputs DSD from its RCA outs? Rather than converts it to PCM first.

5. The Pinhead

Not only the displays have improved. My wife bought a lowly (albeit new) Panasonic DVD player (no BR capabilities) and it did a more than decent job of upscaling a Gary Numan DVD to 720p; a low bit rate affair, shot on a very dark stage, with lots of motion, strobos, and smoke, which was unwatchable 10 years ago on expensive Samsung equipment. Little to no detectable artifacting on her 32¨ JVC TV.

JediJoker likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I have to say I've been really impressed by the picture quality of Panasonic players it's just a shame I've always found they've sound a bit thin and weedy via analogue outs but not a problem if you're using HDMI. I did try an LG PVR once and it was as bad as their TV tuner and up scaling so maybe it's just the LG OLED's (and other brands could be better) that benefit from an upscaled external source?

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

Might I add I had to ship my Oppo Nuforce 93NXE back to Oppo in California from Nova Scotia, Canada. They kept me in the loop all the way, repaired the unit very quickly and called to let me know how much return shipping was to N0va Scotia. I had it back Very Fast. Simply one of the very best service repairs I ever experienced. They were truly a class act. Customer Service was among the very best.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure if the Sherwood Newcastle SD-860 outputs DSD over the analog outputs. But from what I've read the Sherwood Newcastle players are not the most reliable. The players were released in 2006, so even if it's NOS the technology is dated.

I'd suggest an older Oppo player like the 83 or 93 over the SD-860. At least you can still get Oppo players serviced. Sherwood Newcastle universal players were being sold NOS for I believe $149 awhile back. I was tempted but when asked about servicing them the seller was not sure about parts and actual service centers.

JediJoker, tmtomh and CBackley like this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yeah, my Sherwood kind of sucks. It’s really fussy about some hybrid discs. I have a Sony SACD player from 2003 that’s still kicking and doesn’t have as many issues.

JediJoker, Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I threw my Sherwood in the trash years ago.

ti-triodes and CBackley like this.
  11. The Sony UPB-X700 does not play DVD-A, just to clarify in case someone sees a deal and thinks it is also a universal player like the UBP-X800, UBP-X800M2, UBP-X1000ES and UBP-X1100ES.

mdm08033 and tmtomh like this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Which model? I don't see any SACD players in your profile.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I was super tempted by the Nuforce mods (and then the modright mods) before I purchased my DAC. How did it compare before and after the mods?

14. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The specs for the UPB-X700 indicate that it does play FLAC, WAV and DSD music files. Best bet for DVD-A discs would be to rip them to FLAC or WAV files and then the audio files will be playable on the X700.

15. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I was also very happy with my Oppo repair experience a few months back. The only thing that upset me was UPS: UPS charged more to ship to Oppo than what Oppo charged for shipping back to me & the repair combined.

I am finding that consistently UPS is by far the worst of the large shippers.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You are paying retail for shipping.

Manufacturers and other businesses have shipping a discounted rate.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I keep the faith that Oppo return to the players market.

Audiowannabee and Reese like this.
  18. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Me, too. I'm also hoping the next Star Wars movie will be as good as the very first one and that they work out things in the Middle East. You gotta dream.

19. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I dunno. I recently bought a Sony X800m2 and it's not a big step down from the Opp0 203 that I paid twice as much for.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Not going to happen. The company that designed and marketed the players is no more.

21. The Sony players feature-wise cannot compete with the Oppo’s but from a video standpoint they are at least as good and regarding stereo analog output audio quality, the x1000es sounds better than the 203, although nowhere near as good as the 205.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

And how do you guys regard my 103D in that respect ? I know it doesn't compare to the series ending in ¨5¨ (which I couldn't afford anyway) but I'm more than happy. It's a warm sound that works surprisingly well with my vintage receiver and Klipsch floorstanders. Please don't sweeten my ears and tell me your true opinion (you won't bring be down) I did buy it for redbook mainly but of course it replaced my elderly Pioneer DVDP (no HDMI out) as well. And being able to play all the FLAC files I had burned to CD-R in order to to be able to listen to them from a USB stick instead is a hoot.

Today I bought my first Blu Ray title :

[​IMG]

23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Hello I looked on line but could not see any analogue audio outputs on the Sony X800m2 and presume it has no DAC. Is that correct? I have an Arcam analogue amp and the advantage for me with my Oppo 103 is it has analogue stereo outputs and does all the digital to analogue conversion.
    I am looking for a machine that does what the Oppo 103 does really just to play all the files I have on usb. If it plays sacd and blu-ray as well that is a bonus.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    JediJoker, scobb and Sterling1 like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sony 1100ES if it is now available in UK. Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K Blu-ray Player Review

Flaming Torch and JediJoker like this.
  25. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

No, it doesn't have an rca output. It's HDMI only.

I presume it has a DAC because I don't think my receiver can play DSD. It will play both stereo and multichannel files ( flac and dsf) off a USB or network if hardwired (doesn't have built-in wifi)

Flaming Torch likes this.