Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I don't think there is an automatic update, just a notification. This is the last known firmware for that model OPPO BDP-103D Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

Did any firmware version remove the SACD rip functionality? I seem to recall someone mentioning this but never investigated. I am on the previous firmware and have been able to rip SACDs on my 105 just fine.

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Ripping hasn't been removed on 103/105.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me. Oppo said:
    Try doing a Factory Reset (Setup Menu > Device Setup > Reset Factory Defaults) to see if the issue persist.
    Is the player accessing the files via network or an USB attached storage device?
    Haven't had a chance to it yet.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Are you running this firmware? Main Version: BDP10X-83-1226 I didn't know it existed, was thinking about updating nearly three years later!

There did seem to be a minor release gapless fix: Resolved an issue with gapless playback. (BDP10X-83-1226B)

JediJoker likes this.
  5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I ran the last update form my BDP-105 and the unit lost gapless playback altogether. Just so you know. I had it before an loved it but now it's gone.

6. Hymie the Robot

Same without the B at the end...

7. Hymie the Robot

So yours has the B at the end? Did you have to do it manually?

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Downloaded to a USB key and proceeded with the update as instructed.

9. Hymie the Robot

B or no B?

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I cannot recall. I've done the update the week it came out.

11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I am playing hi-res files on a USB. I haven't updated in awhile. I'll try that then a reset if that doesn't work.

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I could never get gapless to work.

13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

That makes playing The Firebird a bummer.

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I don't know if your 105 is like my 205; but, on the 205 gapless is only available on the front usb port for music on thumb drive. My usb rear port connected to c0mputer will not do gapless.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sorry; never connected my 103D to the internet, or am planning on doing so. The menu has an ¨enable gapless playback¨ option, but have not played any files that required it. Does it play gapless with the original 2014 update that came with it ?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My experience:

Enabling gapless (for files obviously; any disc works perfectly) is described here...

BDP-103 Media Files FAQ - OPPOwiki

Note that this works only for WAV / FLAC / APE (whatever that is).

Kind of a kludge, when any cheapo CD/DVD player or optical drive has nailed this since Day One, but I do it. Most of my files are ALAC, and while I can convert everything to FLAC readily enough, it's still a chore to browse through 700 "album artist" folders to spin something while watching football. Kinda spoiled by JRiver on my 2-ch system I guess.

Oppo isn't the only one to come up short on gapless. These handshake-type issues have plagued music lovers even before HDMI was introduced. Which itself was a slapdash effort at enabling copy protection for movies.

Making all this worse is the fact that few people seem to complain about this. Whenever I've discussed this with a vendor or retailer they seem genuinely surprised.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The problem with firmware updates is the old concept of "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away".

When you do a firmware update, who knows what is happening. As specially the taketh away part.

I have this theory that if something is working as I perceive that it should, why not leave it alone.

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I was always upset they never fixed gapless playback with DSD files...a shame. And I would check to see if you have the B level firmware. my guess is you downloaded the previous non B firmware and never got the final update nor did you realize there was a bug until now...

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

If it aint broke.................:agree:

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I largely agree with this. I love my Oppos - my previous 105 and my current 205 - but they have the same Achilles heel as almost every other DVD/Blu-Ray/universal disc player with USB and/or ethernet ports: Their streaming interfaces and features suck compared to a dedicated streaming device.

For that reason, I only use them as either disc players or external DACs. In other words, when I play digital files through an Oppo unit, I stream from a "smart" device like a computer or streaming appliance. I don't stream from a "dumb" device like a USB stick, hard drive, or network DLNA server. That way gapless playback of every file type is supported, because the "smart" device takes care of all that - the Oppo just does the digital-to-audio conversion and controls the volume - it basically becomes a digital preamp.

I realize this is a more difficult way to use an Oppo when you have an '03 model vs an '05 model since only the '05 models have the asynchronous USB DAC input. But it is possible to hook up a headless Mac mini or a cheap Intel NUC computer, or any old computer to a 103, as long as it has an HDMI output: As far as I know, the Oppo 103/203's HDMI input allows it to be used as an external DAC.

The Pinhead, gd0 and JediJoker like this.
  21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm in complete agreement. When something is working perfectly, you should fear updates.

The primary exception to this rule is when updates may be easily undone.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Oppo indeed weren't the only ones, but Apple had sorted gapless over a decade ago, so it never fails to astound me that it is *still* an issue.

And while Cambridge saw fit to add network connectivity, USB ins, etc, to their universal players, seemingly the app was only good enough for the network players. Go figure...

gd0 and tmtomh like this.
  23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I get gapless from multi-channel FLAC downloads but only via a thumb drive connected to my OPPO 205's front usb port. It's kind of important when playing The Firebird.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

Not all streaming sticks are dumb. I get gapless playback and bit perfect audio from my Firestick 4K connected through the Oppo HDMI input, and streamed from my Plex server.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I read the wiki, the issue is gapless has disappeared from the OPTION choices in my 103. Again, I need to try some fixes as Oppo suggested. My 203 plays gapless with no issues from my external HD.

Jerry Horne likes this.