Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I use it between 85-100 on my 103D; no audible quality loss. Love that I don't have to leave the couch to adjust volume anymore; what a lovely feature.

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I've set my OPPO 205 to fixed output, since I'm not using it as a preamp. If I set it to variable and reduced output, I would need to increase preamp volume to obtain a comfortable listening level, which I'm sure would increase noise needlessly from preamp. At any rate, my OPPO set on fixed output works out to achieve the lowest noise and distortion.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have used the 205 with several amps both passive pre and active. Found no overload issues and thought the sound is a little better with fixed output.

4. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Did you contact Cambridge about the 650? I ran into a problem with my CXU and they were very helpful, even though the warranty had expired.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I know people say the variable output doesn't degrade the sound, but hooking up my Oppo 105 and Sonica DAC directly to my amplifier and using the built in volume control never sounded right to my ears.

Sterling1 likes this.
  6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Are you comparing with the $3000 preamp in your profile, and without? Haha...

I haven't specifically tried either of my Oppo's without a dedicated preamp but I have in the past with other equipment and your experience is the same as mine. A preamp does add something and it is usually something good.

Crazysteve likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Only a good preamp. Helps smooth things out, straight in it can be a little edgy.

Hymie the Robot and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. knish

knish Forum Resident

Oppo Models 95 thru 105: Slow Motion and Zoom Control?

My Cambridge 650BD player which I love in lots of ways (save for its enormous and poorly designed remote from hell) is now making loads of disc reading errors, even with DVDs and BDs in immaculate condition. Electronics repair, refurbishment and close loop supply chain for electrnics manufacturers who does factory service for Cambridge says it’s the decoder board and there are no more available for this 11 year old player. And they apparently can’t or won’t troubleshoot the board to the circuit fault level, even if there are no proprietary chips on that board. So as this $850 is player is obviously headed for Craigslist or the trash I need to start hunting for an Oppo player.

Assuming I can find the best model for my needs, parts availability should be no problem as Oppo confirmed that they service all of their BD players. But while the newer models will perhaps be serviceable the longest, I need a composite video output as for the time being I prefer to use the player with the 32” Toshiba CRT TV in my bedroom (lols accepted). Thus only models 95 thru 105 are of interest.

Wide range slow motion and zoom control I find to be indispensable fun as they allow you more intimacy with the action, albeit at some loss of picture quality. The Oppo 95 manual says it allows multi slow and fast speed video playback (muted sound) and multi mag views of DVDs. Can any owners confirm this?

But sometimes manuals generalize on specs and/or features among models. So can anyone confirm that models 103 and 105 also have multi range slow motion and zoom control over DVDs?

And models with slow motion and zoom control of BDs would be a VERY BIG plus!

Finally, is slow motion and zoom control equally accessible via both analog video and HDMI outputs in models 95 through 105?

9. The Pinhead

My 103D, 2014 model, doesn't have composite video out, only HDMI. And I'm positive all following model don't either. I should know; I had to ditch my beloved CRT when I bought the Oppo.

10. knish

knish Forum Resident

Finally, a heartbroken CRT person who understands, not that I will probably miss it too much when replacing it with an OLED. I was hot to go for the Oppo 95 but just learned that it too has no composite output.
    That accursed 2011 Analog Sunset. So I’ll have to go with the 83.

Here I am at post 41512 if you care to chime in. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...ad-technical-talk-only-1384.html#post58900616

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The "diagnostic" port is a composite video output, but it will not output downconverted HD video. The same is true for the composite output on the 83. This is a legal limitation, some kind of misguided anti-piracy measure. The component outputs on the 83, however, will push HD.

tmtomh and The Pinhead like this.
  12. The Pinhead

I hear you; I was aware the Oppo didn't have composite outs, but it was a long-overdue upgrade, and I don't regret it. Still miss my CRT behemoth though. With SD content, esp transfers from scraggy VHS, it was very forgiving.

13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Hi all

I’m new to this thread and to Oppo. I’m sorry for this request which has surely been asked and answered already in this long thread.

I’m looking for a great-sounding SACD player to play one or two discs only. I’m a vinyl guy but have a couple of silver discs I’d like to play occasionally. Which Oppo player (or other brand I guess) would you recommend up to $500? I’m open to used of course.

Thank you in advance.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm not sure of Marantz or Yamaha pricing but I'd start there. For less money, Sony has a couple of Universal Players at lower price points that will play SACD, DVD-A, plus 4K and other movie formats. For 1 or 2 discs that may be all you need.

15. The Pinhead

For those 1-2 cdS you got :

:laugh:

SandAndGlass and Dorian75 like this.
  16. knish

knish Forum Resident

That’s apparently only true with the model 103
    http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_User_Manual_English_v1.2.pdf as p. 13 says that using composite output makes only the SETUP menu accessible.

But checking the 83, 93 and 95 manuals shows no such restriction. In the 95’s manual, language anywhere close to be so interpreted is on p. 53: Component and composite video output may not be available or may be limited to a lower resolution based on content source limitations.

But my sources are only DVDs and BDs, never from streaming any other HD feeds. And my Cambridge BD player always delivered the expected SD quality from them via composite.

However, I will confirm this functionality among all of these models with Oppo Support today.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. knish

knish Forum Resident

Slow Motion & Zoom of Blu-Rays Via HDMI?

As I will certainly expect to be moving from CRT to OLED quality TV sometime next year, and as you all no doubt use your Oppo’s HDMI output, there’s also little doubt that user adjustable slow motion and zoom control effects of DVDs can be outputted via HDMI.

But have you found that both slow motion and zoom does or does work with most Blu-ray movies? This was never possible with my Cambridge 650BD player.

Oppo 83, 93 and 95 owners please reply.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  18. knish

knish Forum Resident

BINGO! Oppo just confirmed that composite output works in 83, 93 and 95.

19. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

How has your kit worked out? I just ordered the same as well.

20. The Pinhead

All Oppos here are sold with the hack, allegedly made by Oppo for their export products. Mine works like a charm (103D)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

It works fine; no problems.

22. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I ordered that kit for my 205 about a year ago and it works fine. I watch a lot of Arrow and Eureka blu-rays so this mod kit is essential. Prior to that I had a 95 and bought a mod kit, which was external. Never had a problem with it...

23. knish

knish Forum Resident

Oppo Repair Service NYC/Long Island?

When it became clear that decoder boards were unavailable to repair my Cambridge 650BD player I purchased a used Oppo 95. The ad said it works fine and should arrive next week. I got the 95 because I presently need analog video connectivity until upgrading to OLED TV or better (otherwise I'd have jumped on the 105 and its neat headphone amp for monitoring movie sound quality). Oppo Support has no phone but said via email that they still service all Oppo BD players. Presumably therefore all of the most failure prone parts are still available.

But when repairs are needed rather than shipping to Menlo Park might there be authorized Oppo or otherwise highly experienced service companies in the New York metro area or Long Island? Ideally, they will also be knowledgeable and aggressive enough to quickly troubleshoot circuit faults to the (non-proprietary) component circuit level-which CA's outsourced factory service https://www.panurgyoem.com/ was apparently unwilling or unable to do with the now discontinued decoder boards they said killed my player.

And thanks to Panurgy and Cambridge I also ended up initially wasting very serious money on a new transport mechanism which obviously didn't need replacing on this brick.

panurgy oem - Google Search

Of course, I'll ship the 95 to Oppo if that's clearly the best move though it’s nice to have more local but very reliable options.

And please share any feedback and experience about Oppo US Service Support.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  24. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Others may correct me if I'm wrong but I think Oppo is the only authorized company to service their equipment.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Don't screw around with anyone but Oppo to service your 95. Send them an email and get a repair order number then ship it to them. Oppo service is outstanding and among the best in the A/V industry. Their repair rates are also extremely fair most often at a flat rate including return shipping. Quick turn around times as well.

My personal experience with Oppo service has been incredible with no issues at all.