Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Agreed that the entire slow roll off/“apodizing” filter craze is nonsense. They perform much worse in the frequency domain than a properly implemented FIR filter and as far as in the time domain, they don’t perform better, but rather just differently. Whether you have a tiny bit of pre-ringing and a tiny bit of post ringing (as in FIR filters) or no pre-ringing and a significantly larger amount of post-ringing (as in slow roll off/“apodizing” filters), neither is able to perfectly reconstruct square waves (but rather, they both can do so almost perfectly). But for actual music? There is not going to be an audible difference. I’m not just saying that—this was borne out by actual listening tests by engineers and beta testers in product development I was involved with.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Sound the same as the original file before it was subjected to the MQA compression scheme.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Or even higher that 2.8MHz, and in some converter topologies a 4-bit stream is used, and in some PDM is used rather than PWM.

4. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The X-ART (AMT) tweeters—and, by extension, their amps—in my ADAM Audio A7X powered monitors are capable of reproducing frequencies up to 50kHz, and so is the RME Fireface UFX audio interface to which they are connected, when running at a sampling rate of 128kHz or higher (yes, 128kHz is an available rate on the UFX). It has nothing to do with a leaky reconstruction filter. Your argument may hold true for consumer audio devices, but it certainly does not in the professional space.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Bill Mac, Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  5. I wasn’t taking professional equipment into account, so I’ll defer to you.

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I recently bought a seven year old Oppo 105 - and just wanted to say that compared to other universal Bluray players I've owned, it certainly does deliver the goods on improving Bluray picture quality, and a boost on the 5.2.2 surround sound in my system. I am very impressed with it. I currently have three different flavors of the Sony platform running in different rooms / systems - the x1000es, the x800 and UHP-H1 in my main HT, bedroom and woodshop respectively. (I've owned a couple others before that).

Then initial impressions on CD playback quality are also quite good --- definitely not hearing the infamous "Sabre glare" that gets tossed around by some.... maybe they need to upgrade other parts of their system. Or maybe I don't have "golden ears." :)

I am running 2 channel on the Oppo over XLR and it sounds very, very nice. I also recently purchased a Denon DCD-S10 3/L (it has four BB 1704's), it too is a very nice player, and currently doing some of my own comparisons - but the Oppo is every bit as good as this standalone, well reputed 30lb CD player! OK, I might give a slight edge to the S10...... but it's subtleties, they are both very good.

I posted more thoughts in a Sony x1000es thread I created a while back -- I just updated that thread, if you care to read.

But I have a question to the long time Oppo owners --- the 105 is a 7 year old player, and it leaves me of course wondering about how much more life it has left in it. The one I bought was in pristine condition, and supposedly had low hours on it.

Are Oppo repair centers still doing fixes at a reasonable cost, and do you think they'll be viable for the longer term? I see the Oppo Product Support site is still up and active. I know nobody has a crystal ball, but maybe someone has some insight on the current viability / outlook for the Oppo support arm?

I realize the answer might be discussed somewhere in these 224 pages, but please forgive me if I don't try to read it all and find it..........:D Just trying to get a feel with what others are concluding.

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Congrats.

I don't know if these are still available, but I purchased some replacement lasers for my 103 and 105 off of Ebay several years ago. That is about the only thing that I would be concerned about failing over the next 20 years.

JediJoker, tmtomh and TheVinylAddict like this.
  8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I have Oppo's original DVD/CD player, the DV-980H purchased new from MD. To this day, it still performs admirably. :righton:

9. Oppo continues servicing units to this day, almost entirely through email. It's my understanding they contracted this out to a firm for some period of time that hasn't been publicly disclosed. The last new Oppo units shipped out about two years ago. While I would hope this service continues in some form, I can't imagine it running forever for what is essentially a defunct company.

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  10. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I bought the DVD-1600 today. I can’t seem to resist DVD-Audio players when they’re around $20. Currently enjoying John Hiatt’s Bring the Family quite a bit.

Does anyone recall what these cost when first on the market?

tmtomh likes this.
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Here's what I know. My BDP-95 seemed to crap the bed a few weeks ago. A few back and forth emails with customer service and then I was sent an RA with a link to pay $120 for the service and the shipping. I took the plunge because I'd be lost without the player and I've had it for about 10 years-bought it new. Anyway, I shipped the player out and believe it or not OPPO diagnosed, repaired and shipped my player back to me *the same day they received the unit*! How cool is that? I've never had better customer service. The player is working great now. If you love your unit, I say send it to be repaired.

Mick Jones, Guss2, Jamcoy and 11 others like this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

$499

JediJoker, tmtomh and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a few questions regarding the Oppo app and using Tidal with the 103 and 105. I just figured out how to connect to Tidal using the Oppo app and playing back using my 103 from my iPhone 6s. The 103 is in my main system but I also have a 105 in a small bedroom system. What I'd like to do is also stream Tidal to the 105. Is it possible to load a second Oppo app just for the 105? If not is there a way to use the Oppo app for two different players? Thanks for any advice on this :)!

14. TheVinylAddict

That's cool you had a good experience with yours. :) Good to hear.

But the bolded part - the point I was making / asking about was how much longer will one be able to send theirs in for repair.... mine isn't currently broken, I only purchased it a few weeks ago. It's working great.

But no need to answer, I know the answer - nobody has a crystal ball and knows for sure.

BTW, what was the diagnosis, root cause problem that ended up being the problem with you 95? I asked this on a different thread a couple of weeks ago, not sure if you answered.

audiomixer likes this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Sorry about that, I didn't see your question. I didn't talk to OPPO again after I received my unit. But the issue was it just stopped reading discs of any kind. Here is what the repair sheet says:

Diagnostics-Confirmed reported problems
    Problem Resolution-Cleaned disc loader and replaced the following parts: Decoder Board
    Upgraded firmware to revision BPD9x-82-1009
    Passed Standard post-repair diagnostics

I used to be alerted to firmware upgrades from the internet but hadn't received one in a long time. So I don't know what or how many firmware updates I might have missed?

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  16. TheVinylAddict

Thanks. As a now Oppo owner, making notes of what others have experienced and what are the things that can go wrong, etc.

17. TheVinylAddict

On the topic of things that could go wrong - ow many here have picked up spare lasers for their 95 / 105, etc?

I know @TarnishedEars has, and I also exchanged PM with him.... but to others that have, where did you purchase yours, especially if purchased recently?

I see three or four sources for the spare lasers on Google search, and for all the sellers they aren't "mainstream" choices, and also user feedback on the sellers is not stellar, and I don't want headaches or a used one, etc I want a seller that will send only sealed NIB ones....

Also, maybe I missed a source or two, sometimes the best sources don't pop up on the first few pages of the Google search, especially for specialty items like this.

Where did you purchase your spare laser with success? PM is OK if you don't want to advertise for a seller, or don't feel comfortable putting your purchase source on the forum.

Sidebar / rant :) .... yes, I've bought enough stuff where I am careful on the front end, make no assumptions, ask seller's questions, etc. And why I rarely have to post the "I had a bad purchase" threads which many times I feel the buyer could have been more diligent and avoided! I rarely have problems on purchases any more, I just make zero assumptions. Especially these days where everything is over classified with the over used "Mint" label, and everyone is calling open box / opened items "Brand New" or used items "Open Box" because they saved the packaging / original box. And anyone can create a seller portal, website and call themselves a seller. It's gotten pretty bad these days from my observations, especially in audio of sellers with no description, and detaisl, and over-selling condition. Especially the "Mint", "New" or "Open Box" misused classifications.

OK, off rant.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just wanted to update this post. I was able to successfully add both the 103 and 105 to the Oppo app database. Was a little bit of a challenge for me being a computer nit wit :help:. So it's nice to be able to play Tidal from my iPhone on my main system (103) and bedroom system (105). The Oppo app can be a little finicky now and then but it's easy to reboot. When searching my album collection it's a bit slow loading. If I select an album and decide to keep searching it goes back to the beginning of the album list which is a PITA. But all in all it's well worth the effort!

I'm listening to Mark Knopfler's Down The Road Wherever album using the optical output of the 103 to the optical input of the 205. The ability to take advantage of the DACs in the 205 is a nice option.

My main system is setup for multichannel music using the Emotiva XMC-1 and the 103 (HDMI). For two channel I have a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (HT Bypass) and the 205 (XLR analog). I use a Harmony 688 remote with multiple activities that makes using a rack full of different components so easy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I recently had to have a repair for my 95: it wouldn't read blu-rays at all. Would read anything else fine. I was told the decoder board had gone bad.

I hope Oppo keeps doing repair for a long time; as no one locally will touch them. I have a 2011 95 with Dec 2012 firmware that plays iso's; so it's especially valuable to me.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Did you ask Oppo not to update the firmware when it was in for repair? Normally Oppo will update the firmware when a unit is in for service. I hope OT Service is open for as long as possible. But it can't last forever.

Simon A, moomoomoomoo and ben_wood like this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Yes!!!! Multiple times on each of the 2 repairs I've had. Both times they followed my instructions. Fast turnaround & very fair prices.

FYI:

Repair #1:
    UPS shipping to Oppo $145
    Oppo repair & return shipping $119

Repair #2
    Fed Ex shipping to Oppo $26
    Oppo repair & return shipping $119

Friends don't let friends use UPS!

Simon A, SandAndGlass and ben_wood like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad that the UPS shipping was that expensive. Yikes!

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  23. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Even if they stay open they may drop older models. I inquired about my dv841 to see how much to decide whether it was worth fixing. They said we no longer repair those.

Maybe they just stopped working on dvd players or maybe they reach a point where parts are no longer available and older bdp's will be dropped too.

I have a drawer that won't open on my 841. Love to be able to use that for all discs besides blus to save wear and tear on my universal bd players- esp my 103d.

Was told by oppo to try lubricating the belt but after opening still couldn't get the tray out. Have a yt video to help on my next attempt. Would be thrilled to get it working again. I dread the day my 103 dies; hoping I go first.:eek::D

Audiowannabee likes this.
  24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My guess is that the part supply is the main determining factor in what they service. Of course at some point all service will end. But until then I would guess they'll repair anything they still have parts to repair.

JimW, superstar19 and Bill Mac like this.
  25. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I'm curious - The UPS shipping cost seems unusually high. Are the above two costs an apples-to-apples comparison (besides different times and shipping companies)?

I shipped an Oppo 205 cross-country in late 2018 for $80 via UPS Ground (dropped off at one of their main Customer Centers), which included enough insurance to cover the retail cost. I'm not sure if the 205 is their heaviest player ever, but it's got to be up there.

Thanks.

Doug

tmtomh and moomoomoomoo like this.