Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Good to know. Wish I had a 205, though it was said in many posts I found last night that my TV does have issues with the 205 also. Wish that wasn't the case, when it works, it has a gorgeous picture.

I did read that the Sony 80, 85 & 90 are all significantly different from each other electronically.

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

A bit weird...........

Hope you figure it out.
    Have you read the User manual?.......maybe you have to use a certain HDMI input and "enable" it correctly

3. moomoomoomoo

Yes, I have well over 10 hours into this & have also let Sony "take over the TV remotely" & they said everything was set up correctly. I think it was a 3rd world rep; the store gave me more numbers to call & said if i don't a resolution to call them back. This is turning into a nightmare. I accidentally knocked a very nice Vizio off of a table & broke it; then the first of these that was delivered had a cracked screen, & they took 12 days to re-deliver.

This store also only carries 3 brands: Samsung, Sony & LG; & are the only store left in the area that offered free delivery & set up. I was told that another re-delivery of a different set might or might not be free. Grr. The Sony is also currently $50 cheaper that was on Black Friday!

Linger63 likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Does your Sony set have known issues with other manufacturers Blu-ray players? Have you tried contacting Oppo about the issues with the 95 and the Sony? Does the 95 have the latest available firmware? Do you have an AVR in between the 95 and the Sony? Have you tried different connection options such as HDMI output 1 or 2?

Maybe try picking up an inexpensive Blu-ray player like the Panasonic DP-UB420 on sale at Best Buy. That way you'd have 4k playback and save the 95 for audio duty only. Also eliminate issues playing recent Blu-rays that the 95 might have trouble playing. A friend bought the UB420 awhile back and it's a great player. It has a number of streaming apps and plays DSD files from a connected hard drive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panaso...VwZJbCh1vvALNEAQYAyABEgItovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  5. moomoomoomoo

1. I don't know. Learned about the Oppo-Sony issue while Googling something related.
    2. Yes, though that was before I learned it was a known problem.
    3 No. I have old firmware intentionally that plays iso's. Oppo was forced to remove that feature.
    4. What is an AVR? It's plugged into the TV by an HDMI cable, I've tried 4 different cables; the most recent being a 4k/120 that's supposed to go up to 8k/60.
    5. I've tried different inputs on the TV. Oppo did inform me that the HDMI #2 out put used a different, inferior processor to HDMI 1. Remember, this issue did npt occur AT ALL with 2 other older sets (A Vizio & A Samsung).
    6. That is a possibility. Is the 2k picture quality equivalent to the Oppo? I've been told that especially for DVD's, Oppo is about as good as it gets. I'm not going to replace my video collection a 4th time for 4k (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray)

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

AVR = Audio Video Receiver. If you have a Best Buy near you could try the Panasonic and compare the PQ to that of the 95. I'm not sure how the 1080p playback of the 95 and the Panasonic would compare. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Panasonic compares quite well or betters the 95. I'd think a 4k disc played with a capable player on your Sony would be very impressive. Not suggesting that you replace your video collection. Just that you'd have 4k playback capability if so desired.

7. moomoomoomoo

Thanks! The Oppo is an audiophile audio player amongst other things; so I always use the Analog outputs. If i was wealthy I'd get a megabuck external DAC & connect with SPDIF, but i'm not........... That's a lot of why I'm so frustrated: I'm disabled & low income & spent almost $1k on this TV with sales tax (Wa is 10.3%)

I'll keep the Panny in mind, but if I go that route, there are region free Sonys on line pretty cheap. I would assume Sony would be compatible with itself!

I'm still deciding if I can live with this or if I'm going to return it for a Samsung or an LG (the only 3 brands the store carries). They also haven't yet told me if there would be a pickup & delivery charge; though I have asked the question. The store wants me to call Sony again. I will, though the last Sony rep was pretty thorough other than not knowing there was a known issue between Oppo's & some Sony's (though I didn't know either or I obviously wouldn't have bought it!).

8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

This is weird. Have you tried the obvious fixes like disabling ARC (or whatever Sony calls it), resetting the OPPO, shut off Deep Color, PBC, BD-live or clearing Persistent Storage? Honestly, it sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. You might also try turning the equipment on in a certain order to see if that works.
    Since you don’t have the latest FW update in the 95, you might be dealing with something OPPO fixed later. There was no better company in fixing problems when they were in business. They worked with me for weeks when I discovered a glitch in the 103D and they added the patch in a later FW update.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Linger63, Bill Mac and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

ARC is only on input #3 which I have avoided.

Per Sony (I s/w them today), I would run into a locking frequency issue with any recent TV & my 11 or 12 year old 95. The new sets are HDMI 2.3 & while I'm not sure if the Oppo is 1.0 or 2.0; it's definitely not 2.3. I had no idea of these issues, or I probably would have gone pawn shop hunting.

So I'm apparently stuck with it. I just ordered a faster, more highly regarded 8k HDMI cable (Talkback). The problem did improve with a no name 4k cable, I hope this helps more.

I did clear the cache last night. It made no difference.

I suspect this was never dealt with on the 95. Possibly on the 203 & 205.

And if it came down to it, the ability to play SACD-r's is more important to me than newer firmware; for video I might consider a $200-300 region free Sony or LG blu-ray player from various Net retailers.

ti-triodes likes this.
  10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Try changing the input on the Sony from deep color (4K) to 1080. If there’s a handshake issue between different versions of HDMI that usually fixes it.

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

Thank you! I will try that!

12. moomoomoomoo

I don't seem to have that option. I have 2 sets of HDMI options:

1. HDR Mode: HLG/HDR10/Auto
    2. HDR Range: Limited/Full/Auto

Right now both are set at auto.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My 205 works just peachy with the Samsung smart tv I have it connected to.

14. moomoomoomoo

Probably your firmware is much newer than mine. I have a 95 & am using 12/12 firmware so I can play iso's.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I believe I have the latest firmware.
    That's another dig against digital playback, as one's playback hardware/software can become obsolete. I know, it's happened to me.

16. moomoomoomoo

I didn't have a clue that the TV standards had changed. I thought all the old firmware would do negatively was cause copy guard issues & some glitches (mostly again audio). Bad joke is on me. I doubt if even the latest firmware with the 95 would solve anything. They stopped making the player years ago.

17. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

I'm using a Sony X900H TV, but the set up should be similar. On the TV go into "Settings." Choose "Channels & Inputs." Scroll down to "External inputs." Scroll down to "HDMI signal format." I don't know what input you have your Oppo plugged into but whichever one it is, set it to "Standard Format."

ti-triodes likes this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

Thank you very much. I checked and it's already set up as you suggest.

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I have a question. I've been getting a terrible audio ground loop hum from my 95. I've had it since I moved into my current home in 2016, but it's gotten much worse with the new TV (and as it turns out also with a new streaming cable box from Comcast).

I s/w the very helpful Oppo repair team. They said to try unplugging the coax input from the cable box. They were correct, it totally went away.

Unfortunately,

1. It's not realistic to unplug the cord from the cable box every time I want to play music

2. The coax cable comes into the house through a hole Comcast drilled in the wall; there isn't a jack, so I can't get a higher quality or ground lift coax cable.

So my ? is: Does anyone know of a device that could be screwed onto the termination of the coax cable to damp or eliminate this effect?

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Plug-Style-Eliminator-Cleaning/dp/B07W682STV/

One might work, but N minus 1 might be the best bet, with N being the number of grounded (3-prong) devices hooked together in the chain.

Bill Mac and moomoomoomoo like this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

Thanks! Thing is I need something that will screw onto a co-ax connector. It isn't the power that's causing it. The Cable box was still plugged into the wall & into the TV when the hum went away. Oppo specifically asked me to remove only the coax input to the cable box & that worked.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Is the cable grounded at the service entrance?

Bill Mac and moomoomoomoo like this.
  23. moomoomoomoo

I don't know. I did find out that there is a jack in the wall, so buying a truly shielded cable if there is one known to cure ground loops is an option.

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I understand, and there are other solutions to be sure. But an AC-based ground loop breaker like the Hum-X can solve the issue regardless - ground loops occur because the components are connected to each other, whether by coax or RCA cables or whatever. You don't have to break the loop at the interconnect cable in order to address the problem.

25. moomoomoomoo

Thanks!

tmtomh likes this.