Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Why not state your feelings about it?
    You're not going to take anything away from those who liked it.

JimW likes this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This didn't have the apocalyptic endings of the previous two seasons, but obviously there was quite a bit of resolution.
    I think smarmy Emmit got what he deserved.
    Too bad for Nikki, but hey man nice shot for the Trooper!
    I like how Emmit just throws the stamp on the ground, the "Rosebud" for this entire season.
    I'm a little fuzzy on the math: Burgle is charging Varga with six counts of murder-the four Stussys I get. Who are the other two? She mentioned a state trooper, but Nikki killed him, unless there's another trooper I'm forgetting.
    Heartbreaking line: Sy-"Good as new". Yikes.
    Continuity error? Emmit's car suddenly works after breaking down. Plus, they didn't find Emmit's phone at the scene to tie him there?
    It was probably Goldfarb who texted Varga.
    And in the end...I think Varga went to jail. At least that's what I'd like to think happened.
    Good but not great finale (this series sets a high bar), still a great season of telly. It looks like there'll be more, and who knows maybe more Wrench.
    Ok then.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I believe she was charging him for the murders that took place at that old abandoned building where Nicky and Wrench ambushed them. Even though he didn't kill anybody, it was murder during the commission of a felony, so he would be liable.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

4. That's just it. It required no explaining. I thought the points made were relatively obvious and not even all that complex. Not sure what you were watching.

5. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

To have told us which of their views of "how it's going to be" was correct would have been a cheat. Too bad about Nikki but she could have walked away with her life or she could have run away with the money but for her it was about love. Stupid, stupid love. Best ep10 so far.

sberger and JimW like this.
  6. That was the most provocative part to me as well. Not for discussion here, but it sets up an interesting dive into the merits of the insulating value of faith compared to different merits of constant evaluation and re-evaluation of reality.

JimW likes this.
  7. JimW

That would be a very interesting discussion. Too bad it's against forum rules (tho I certainly understand the need for those rules).

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My post was partially a reaction to a link posted a few posts before mine. It contained a well thought out essay about the entire Fargo series. The piece felt a lot smarter than the script of this latest series, which at times, felt outright stupid to me, especially the finale. The old '5 yrs later' shtick, a deux ex machina writing tool usually used when a writer's run out of ideas. Felt lazy. Overall, the entire series was drawn out, took way too long for them to tell the story that was told. For the amount of time implemented, it should've been a lot better. It was a writing problem. Of course, this is only my opinion.

EVOLVIST and GodShifter like this.
  9. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Loved the show even though I am not sure what happened.

Is it possible a UFO stalled Emmits car?

Is Gloria the robot, not literally, but metaphorically? She can help, but nobody seems to want her help and nothing ever comes of it. The whole sci-fi story and subplot seem to take up too much time for it not to have a larger meaning.

It was hard for me to tell, were we watching the second hand on the clock or the minute hand?

JimW likes this.
  10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I had considered that, and it makes sense with the elevator picture. But I don't think a trooper was killed in that incident.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I believe a trooper was a casualty outside the building that the "massacre" took place.

JimW likes this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Don't think so, it was the earlier murders. He was (potentially) a victim of the ones at the building.

Anyway, decent finale, but let's face it the whole season was a dud. Season 1 8/10, Season 2 9/10, Season 3 4/10.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don't care what ya'll say. I liked this season very much!

Mazzy, Cronverc, sberger and 5 others like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too.

Season 4: wouldn't it be a hoot if they went into the future?

GodShifter and JimW like this.
  15. JimW

Brilliant! This never occurred to me, but reading it, this sounds right. Very interesting and I wish I could go back and watch this season again now that it's over; I woulda saved them all on my DVR, but I only have room to archive one season at a time (and still have room to record my Orioles every night)- and that honor currently goes to Better Call Saul. I look forward to the replay of this season before S4 next year.

I'd pick up the blu's, but will wait until the series ends and get the whole set- I'm tired of buying individual seasons of shows I love, only to have a series set come out w/ some great extras that I want, but won't rebuy the whole series for.

I have a feeling that there's some great ideas/themes that can only come into relief viewing this season as a whole- and viewing the series as a whole.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  16. JimW

We are facing different directions my friend. Far from a dud, I really liked this season. Earlier, I was thinking this season may be my least fave, but the finale brought many things into relief such that now it might be my fave. Regardless, great TV imo.

And regardless of whether Varga was a target at the ambush, he and his men went there for illegal reasons- they were going to kill Nicky and Wrench- they just got outdone.

17. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Yeah, in ep 9 bar scene, Gloria overtly told Winnie that she felt like the android in the story. I guess some of you missed that.

jriems, GodShifter, sberger and 4 others like this.
  18. JimW

I do get tired of that swooshing sound of things going over my head...

19. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Unlike many here, I liked this season a lot. For reasons I won't bother listing, it might be my favorite. However, I disliked the big showdown scene with Emmitt and Nikki.

1. What happened with Emmitt's car? It stalled out, presumably because Nikki tampered with it, to get him isolated. Why did it work again to allow his escape?

2. Nikki was the righteous avenger. Murdering an officer of the law is completely out of character and not the final action I wanted to see from her.

3. How was there no evidence left on scene to show that Emmitt was there? His phone, tire tacks, ect.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I agree. It should have been obvious to even an amateur sleuth that there was another vehicle and another person at the scene.

GodShifter and rufus t firefly like this.
  21. audiomixer

Yes, it was his time, his end; thus the darkness.

JimW likes this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was confused by the situation with Emmit's car, too. I would not say that Nikki was the righteous avenger so much as the instrument of cosmic vengeance.

JimW likes this.
  23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Of course, the other way of looking at it is that the darkness is his home like Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

audiomixer and JimW like this.
  24. JimW

So- it was a showdown between cosmic avenger and earthly authority; I like that. They cancel each other out, which allows the weasel to escape for a while- until the partner comes to finish the job. But what does that make Mr. Wrench? The lover of cosmic vengeance whose more concrete ties to this world allow him to finish what she cannot?

25. audiomixer

:laughup: