Fargo - Season 4 starring Chris Rock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have to watch this with captions. I'm not the biggest fan of having to direct my eyes to the bottom of the screen but at least I have a better idea of what's being said. Not necessarily this program, but some shows put the background music sooo loud that sometimes I can't even hear the dialogue.

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Great catch there.

That is one aspect of Fargo that I love so much -- sometimes watching it is like playing that old television game show "Concentration"!

The creators treat all seasons holistically but we're not getting all the info in a traditional linear fashion..

EddieMann likes this.
  3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Watching season two last week, the Native American Hanzee was an awful lot like Anton Chigur from No Country For Old Men. And a lot of the footage of Solverson chasing him through town in the last two episodes was taken right from that movie.

4. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

spoiler : ( Literally. ):spoiler

BEAThoven likes this.
  5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Ha!

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

He did. :thumbsup:

EddieMann and paulbright81 like this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm still enjoying the show week to week, but it really is feeling like they didn't have many ideas. while there was some action and movement in the latest episode, it was clearly all constructed for convenience just to clean up loose ends that weren't really tied directly to the main plot.

i guess the ominous "fargo" comment from loy was meant to explain the unknown sneakers who gunned everyone down at the end?

Shawn likes this.
  8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That boosts my theory that Satchel is going to become Mike Milligan . He heard his father say that phrase probably several times in his life

9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Remember they gave the stolen guns to those guys from Fargo in an earlier episode. I think it was like “you can have these guns if you help us down the road.” I recognized the main guy creeping up on them from before.

GentleSenator and George P like this.
  10. Edgard Varese

I reckon those were Dieter Gerhardt's men.

11. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Keeping all the seasons straight is a bit like herding cats, but I *think* those men called belonged to Gerhardt's rival, Kellerman. I think he was part of the gang that killed the elder Gerhardt during a flashback sequence during season 2.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  12. Edgard Varese

Yeah, sometimes I think Kellerman worked for Dieter and took over the gang (temporarily), but I could very easily be wrong about that.

13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I usually don’t complain about individual episodes, they all have elements that I enjoy and bring something to the overall plot table. But last night’s episode was (to me) uninspired and unnecessary. I read a review of an earlier episode a few weeks ago that stated the reason there are 11 this season is because they had so much extra material that they cobbled together an extra episode. They could have saved themselves the trouble and eliminated this one.

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gotta agree here. The "Wizard of Oz" allusions were a bit overplayed. The action could have moved quite a lot faster, and the episode could have "gone to color" at the 30-minute mark.

EddieMann likes this.
  15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I think this episode might be one of the few times "Fargo" shot style over substance. The look and feel of this episode screamed to have higher meaning and symbolism, but i think it got muddled. Ultimately, it just closed the book on Omie, Calamita, and Rabbi, and emphasized that "The future is now" for Mike Milligan...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    EddieMann likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Still thinking bout this past week's (11/15) ep...

We had the whole subplot of Rabbi storing his money in the wall of a grain/feed distributor shop years ago, but then the building was sold to the appliance salesmen, and they took the money after knocking down the wall... That whole sequence took up a fair amount of "real estate" during the ep, but it ultimately played no part in the outcome of the episode... Rabbi's demise could have happened without it.

If this was earlier in the season, I would wager it was a set up for plot lines later in the story, but with only two eps left, it just doesn't seem like an avenue of any consequence.

EddieMann likes this.
  17. This season is the first to have 11 episodes (all the others had 10). Guessing this one was that ‘11th’ episode/filler.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's not just that ratings are down. It's not really on anyone's "hot" list anymore. The prestige factor is way down.

I would be surprised if this ISN'T the last season.

19. Edgard Varese

I would have thought Mike's origin story would have been a bit more interesting. :sigh:

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and that is simply because it just isn't very good this year, at all.

sound chaser likes this.
  21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I had a complete opposite view and thought the episode was one of the best.

Certainly looked great in b&w.

A dedicated episode and a proper "send-off" for the best character of the season.

RIP Rabbi, you'll live on in the name tag of Rabbit.

22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

That subplot gave Satchel what he needs to survive, the gun and the money.

trumpet sounds and Edgard Varese like this.
  23. Edgard Varese

I think we'll see him at the end when he makes it back to Kansas City and meets Joe Bulo.

ubiknik, Veltri and GentleSenator like this.
  24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I just finished watching this latest one, and I must say that visually it was pretty top shelf.
    I like the herding cats analogy upstream as it does kind of describe what viewers seem to be trying to do by having all the story aspects come together in an obvious and coherent way.
    In the end for me I'm like the billboard painter (I am a billboard painter..) and I'm just trying to enjoy what is good that I can get out of it.
    The cinematography is really well done, this last episode could be enjoyed without sound.
    Gotta love the killer nurse character, I'm sure she'll be back next episode.

Cronverc and GentleSenator like this.