Fargo - Season 4 starring Chris Rock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Aug 3, 2018.

1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I surely appreciate that, but I was more concerned with the detailed backstory to the money -- and the screen time it took play out-- if it ultimately had no relevance.

If the end result was just to have Satchel end up with Rabbi's money, why not just have Rabbi show up at the old spot, retrieve the money from the wall, and then head off to get killed in a "Wizard of Oz"-like showdown with Colamita?

My point was, why introduce two new characters and set up two scenes if it does not play into the ending of the episode or the ending of the series?

EddieMann and GentleSenator like this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i guess there's still a *chance* things could still get connected, but you're highlighting what i have up until this point considered a general quirk of this show. lots of odds (emphasis on odd) & ends that exist for some temporary shock, awe, or fun only to never go anywhere or get resolved.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this weeks show was an hour of my life that i will never get back. what a waste of 55 minutes. the whole show could have been done in 5 minutes.

by far the worst 'fargo' show yet, the wife said remove it form the record area, but i'll finish it, i think there are 2 or 3 more weeks.

spanky1 likes this.
  4. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

I agree, the last show was so bad, terrible. The whole season is a bloody mess.

Captain Groovy and spanky1 like this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]

C'mon dude, the bloody mess scene was in the original film...

ex_mixer, GentleSenator and Cronverc like this.
  6. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Latest ep (11/22) -- I'm thinking that COVID affected the shooting/editing of of this season. I've no evidence of this, but I'm guessing that has had a major effect on the pacing of this season.

The Odis Weff arc was weird throughout this episode -- it essentially played out exactly as the audience expected it would, but it seemed to be strung out way too long. Once he played decidedly joined forces with Loy, how did he think it was going to play out with the Faddas? There was something missing from this character because, IMHO, we never fully felt complete sympathy for or understanding of this character.

In addition, there's quite celebration around the police station house after the Fadda bust, but there was no reaction shown to the downright massacre at the train station from a few weeks ago when more than a dozen cops and a large amount of civilians were murdered during the raid.

Gaetano's death didn't come across as Cohen "plot shock," but as just a forced and cheap way of wrapping up a character before the end of the season.

I'm confused on how Loy having the elder Fadda's ring would somehow be a major bargaining chip to end a gang war -- It's not as though Loy and crew were ever on the rack for the elder Fadda's death...

7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have always been a big supporter of this franchise, but this season has gotten progressively farther away from the quality of the previous three seasons. I'll watch it until the end of course. But man, I just don't know anymore.

8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Yes, it seems from their reaction that it's obvious and I already feel dumb not knowing for sure.
    So maybe the purpose is to show just how next level smart those two are.

I can only think it will be planted on a rival to get allies to turn on each other.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

Watched the final episode of the season, thank god that’s over. So bad, waste of time.

10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I'm still trying to be diplomatic, but... man, were my wife and I disappointed.

This episode really needed a scene confirming that Satchel grows up to be Mike Milligan? Really? As though we didn't know that about five episodes back?

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I didn’t mind that so much. What bothered me was the almost wholesale, “ok, who’s left? Who else do we need to shoot?” I will say however that I kind of figured out ahead of time that Cannon’s operation was going to be incorporated into the other. All in all an average season.

Shawn, GentleSenator and BEAThoven like this.
  12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I trust you folks enough to say that I don’t think I’m missing much, can’t get it yet in the UK anyhow, no matter, the first 3 seasons are so wonderful, even after repeat viewing, the characters are so strong, I’m not getting the same vibe here.

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Man, the whole Josto and Oraetta "wrap up" storyline... I feel this one was dragged out way too much because they had the most footage to work with... The overhead shot of Josto and Oraette walking to the ditch -- I felt that played in real time. For a short episode, that sequence sure took up a lot of "real estate." Perhaps this whole sequence was filmed prior to COVID?

The Zelmare/Loy final scene was weirdly structured and executed... rushed and "shortcutted" because, perhaps, it was filmed after COVID and all that?

Just throwing this all out there because one of the reasons I enjoyed "Fargo" so much was it avoided all these simple mistakes of network shows and such.

Vidiot, GentleSenator and EddieMann like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

I am going to refrain from critiquing this season until I can (soon) binge-watch it. I still say that is the best way to watch this show.

15. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

It is the best way, get it over as quick as possible!

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Lot of haters hating here

Excellent season!!!

imho

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I thought it was the second best season of Fargo so far. Season 2 being the best, so I like how they were related.

Lonson likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bad show, overall 3/10, i truly wish i hadn't gotten into it in the beginning.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i really did enjoy watching the season from start to finish, but it all rang pretty hollow. a bizarre series of eleven episodes, and not in the bizarre way i'd come to love about the show. none of it was really compelling.

not much else to add that wasn't already said by other folks in the thread. a nice distraction, i guess.

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Not even the Raising Arizona allusions could save this season.

21. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Didn't see the other 3, only watched this to see Rock in a dramatic role.
    No rhythm to the season - a lot of stops and starts.
    And commercials every 6 minutes! Wore the ink off the FF button.

22. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I was ambivalent about this season, I mean past seasons have been better IMO, but I did like the final episode.

23. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

This season was pretty meh overall. While I have rewatched the others several times, I won't bother watching this one again.

ex_mixer likes this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

no commercials on hulu

MrSka57 and rogertheshrubber like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I loved the show up until the last couple of episodes. Then it turned into a whole lotta "WTF?" I also thought the montages and Johnny Cash song at the beginning were very pretentious. I'm like, "get to the friggin' point!"

By god, they did take care of every possible loose end with the finale. But kind of with a sledgehammer.

I think producer/director/showrunner Noah Hawley has a specific style and pace that he likes to tell his stories. Legion had similar issues and a similar style, but I think was good overall.

We avoid the commercials by watching 4K HDR on Hulu -- but ya gotta pay for that. The show does dip to black for a commercial break, but then it comes right back up and continues.

Hawley explains a lot of the plot lines here, the connection between Season 4 and Season 2, what altered the show because of the Covid Pandemic-forced break (they shut down for almost six months and only shot the final episodes in September):

'Fargo's' Noah Hawley Reveals What Happens Between Seasons 4 and 2 - Variety

'Fargo' showrunner breaks down that season 4 finale, and drops a season 5 tease

BTW, there is a major story hole in this season, and I'll post it here...

Why the hell didn't the little kid just CALL his father, the mob boss, to tell him that he was OK while he was hiding on the road for weeks?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020