Fave comic books as a kid?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beccabear67, Jun 2, 2023.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

If you read comics, or magazines with comics, what were your favorites? Any specific memories surrounding them?

My earliest strong favorite comic has to have been Scamp, the Disney character that had Lady & The Tramp as parents. There was one artist who drew the comics in the '50s I later found out was named Al Hubbard. The '70s Gold Key comics I bought would reprint his '50s stories. I remember cover prices on ones I bought being from 20 cents to 35.

Here's one of the original '50s Dell Scamp comics which gives you an idea of Al Hubbard's brilliance... so lively with so few brush strokes!
    [​IMG]

Very few of my Scamp comics had covers to them though, I would cut the main figure out and glue it to something, a kind of d.i.y. 'sticker'.

Scamp had an older dog friend that was a bloodhound (named Trusty) who would tell him stories, and three sisters (who looked like Lady except one had Tramp's coloring). You usually got three full stories and a couple single pagers in one issue.

2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Only ones I remember - Classics Illustrated.

Library Eye, YardByrd, johnod and 3 others like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I grew
    I grew up in the 70's reading my Dad's rather large collection of Dell comics from the 50's. Those were the best!

fogalu, YardByrd and beccabear67 like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

They were great and you'd see them all over the place.
    Had dozens of them.

Dissidence, Karnak, YardByrd and 2 others like this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

The only Classics Illustrated I remember having was The Last Days Of Pompeii, but quite memorable! That one might've been a hand-me-down. A few other early memories were of Dennis The Menace In Hawaii being a favorite single issue along with one where he is contrasted against Aladdin & His Lamp as Dennis & His Magic Television.

I seemed to be sick in bed often growing up and comic books were one of the few escapes from being stuck in bed,; you could pick one up and put it down as needed. I'd look at the same ones over and over and maybe even make up new stories for them or try to draw the characters myself. A few folks who went on to create comics have stories of stretches in bed with comics for company. Sometimes I'd swap away ones I was tired of at school, or a random kid would just give me some! I've heard a lot of musicians on the road would pass comic books around, even seen a few photos of famous artistes with some comics in their hands!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Library Eye, Karnak and YardByrd like this.
  6. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Carl Barks’ Uncle Scrooge, or anything by him.
    Classic Illustrated, yes! They were 15 cents, when everything else was a dime. Still have 118 of them.
    Sad Sack. Not sure why, but I really enjoyed those.

In the ‘60s, it was Daredevil, Spider-Man, Superman, Batman. (I had two copies of Daredevil #1. They were stolen. Still have #2.)

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Superman and a host of others...my Mom was into comic books when she was a youngster...she had the 1st Superman comic!

8. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I think this was the only comic I actually owned as a kid, I read books. But I did like Turok, Son of Stone.

9. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I also loved Classics Illustrated and the X-Men, Swamp Thing and Thor.

fuse999, ArpMoog, Dissidence and 6 others like this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

As a child in late 50s/ early 60s anything Classic Illustrated or Dell. Lots of cartoon characters like Casper and his assorted friends, Disney stuff like Donald Duck. DC superheroes to a lesser degree, mainly in barber shops or doctor offices. Then in the mid-60s, I read my first Amazing Spider-man and my comic reading world was turned upside down. Collecting became an obsession. Good times.

11. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Archie,with my first two crushes,Betty and Veronica.

Sean, beccabear67, CDFanatic and 4 others like this.
  12. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Batman, Superman, & Justice League.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

14. rene smalldridge

15. rene smalldridge

16. rene smalldridge

17. rene smalldridge

18. rene smalldridge

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The Archie family of comic books
    Dennis The Menace
    Sad Sack
    Beetle Bailey
    Richie Rich

sharedon, Sean, beccabear67 and 2 others like this.
  20. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I remember this Classics Illustrated when I was a little kid. It belonged to my older brother and the cover really gave me the creeps.

[​IMG]

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Justice League of America, represented here by Issue #1 1960.

22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Mad if it counts- other than that, I only read underground comics like Zap or Cheech Wizard and the occasional Heavy Metal as a kid and Neat Stuff, Hate, Eightball as an adult.

skisdlimit and Library Eye like this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Action Comic from around 1976 to 77. It was considerd very violent at the time. Then 2000AD from prog 13 in 1977.

I was 6 years old but loved it. My brother still gets 2000AD now.

I used to get Marvel comics around then but once 2000AD came out...they were for little kids lol.

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Reprints of Marvel - especially Lee/Kirby FF and Thor; Lee/Ditko Spider man and Dr Strange; Lee/Wood Daredevil. Never really cared for DC stuff

Library Eye likes this.
  25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

When I was probably 6 or 7 and Uncle gave me a big box of comics and two boxes of 45s.

I must've read through all the comics in the box a dozen or more times. Favorites:

Sad Sack
    Hot Stuff
    Wendy
    Donald Duck
    Huey, Dewey and Louie