Favorite AXPONA Rooms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Apr 13, 2024.

1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

So as not to hijack avanti1960's thread, thought I'd start a new one to share my favorite axpona rooms. I don't have avanti's depth of knowledge so my reporting won't be as sharp, but hopefully folks will enjoy my casual take.

If anyone else is here today, feel free to add to this thread.

Starting on the 3rd floor, I really liked these Lyngdorf Cue 100s. Nice looking and sounding with deep bass.

[​IMG]

Room 318 is Atohm Speakers and Atoll electronics. Very nice sounding system (I think the large floorstanders were playing when I was in there). Clean, deep bass, detailed across all frequencies.
    [​IMG]

llatpoh, jonwoody, Tony-A and 20 others like this.
  2. rischa

Totem Acoustics in 378 sound excellent. I didn't catch the speaker model or electronics (too shy to ask). I appreciate the systems that maintain detail and have articulate bass in the hotel rooms like this one. So many of these show systems are pure mud.

[​IMG]

(Apologies for the pic quality, I'll try to do better)

Encore, jonwoody, llatpoh and 11 others like this.
  3. rischa

Still can't get into the Rogue/Magnepan room. Tried 3 times yesterday and once today. Thought getting here early would help, but nope, lol.

4. rischa

Moving on to the 4th floor, love the look of these Stenheim speakers in 480. Unfortunately the sound quality didn't leave an impression. The system is set up against the long wall, and I can't say many of the systems set up this way sound good in the hotel rooms.

[​IMG]

Encore, jonwoody, llatpoh and 10 others like this.
  5. rischa

Wow, the Alta Audio Aphridite with Infigo electronics in room 476 blew me away. I'm a soundstage guy and this system threw a great image. It wasn't about the details or frequency extension (not that they were lacking), just a deep, coherent, believable soundstage. Out of my league unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Encore, jonwoody, AudioFan66 and 14 others like this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Jackie West ~ Close to the Mystery (2024)

Wow, wouldn't have guessed those are $50,000 speakers just from the picture, but I'm obviously not very good at that game. Those carbon fiber/rohacell/carbon fiber composite sandwich cone drivers must get expensive to make :)

7. rischa

And my favorite system of the 4th floor: Philharmonic BMR with Van Alstine electronics. Just incredible considering this room beats a lot of the high-end systems on display. I don't see how the BMRs aren't my next speakers.

[​IMG]

Encore, drgn95, jonwoody and 20 others like this.
  8. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Looks like the Totem Element Fire V2.

jonwoody, 33na3rd and rischa like this.
  9. Davey

Probably won't hear any better sounding rooms for that cost, about $7000 with speakers and electronics, and you probably only need one of the preamps at a time, so if you are all digital you could drop the CA1. Looks like the Van Alstine rack has the new NP1 power amp at the bottom ...

DVA DIGITAL PREAMPLIFIER
    Regular price$2,499.00

CA1 CONTROL AMPLIFIER
    Regular price$1,599.00

NP1 POWER AMPLIFIER
    Regular price$1,199.00

jonwoody, 33na3rd, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I can see why these didn't leave an impression. The speaker cables obviously aren't big enough :D!

jonwoody, beowulf, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  11. rischa

Not many rooms caught my ear on the 5th floor. A lot of systems I wanted to like but just weren't working due to room or music choice while I was listening.

Fern &Roby in 584 sounded pretty good, but not for the price. I think Omega is probably a better choice if you're looking for single-driver/pointsource. The turntable is a piece of sculpture, though.

[​IMG]

I was really interested in hearing the Caladins with Atmasphere Class D in 512. Unfortunately just ok sounding based on what I heard visiting yesterday and again today. Beautiful speakers though, unfortunately forgot to snap a pic.

Really cool looking and nice sounding SB Acoustics Gema kit speakers with Margueles (?) tube amp in 568.

[​IMG]

On to floor 6...

Andy G, jonwoody, Ingenieur and 11 others like this.
  12. rischa

Revival Atlante 5s and Leben electronics in 628 was just killer. Atlante living up to its reputation on thuis forum. Super clean and detailed, great frequency extension and soundstaging.

[​IMG]

AudioFan66, Rick58, matro5 and 17 others like this.
  13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

The more AXPONA stuff the merrier !

post on!

jonwoody, recstar24, 33na3rd and 5 others like this.
  14. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Maybe check out the Madisound room where they have a bunch of really competent DIY designs this year and see how they compare to commercial speakers ?

cheers

velo_TX likes this.
  15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Pitch Perfect Room, I think.

matro5, jonwoody and GoldprintAudio like this.
  16. Davey

Looks like they are using the Dynavector/Well Tempered table, big Fonolab step up transformer to the left of it, pretty nice setup with the Leben gear and Atalante speakers, love to hear that myself :)

jonwoody likes this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I thought the Atohm speakers were one of the best I heard when I attended AXPONA a couple years ago. Not only great sounding, but absolutely gorgeous. I think it was the first AXPONA held at the current location.

Thanks for posting.

jonwoody and rischa like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

As a recent BMR Tower owner, I'm just going to say to anybody interested, go listen to them if you can.... I've not heard the Monitors that are set up there in the pic, but let's just say I don't have my shocked face on that you'd like them.
    Another one I believe, I'd love to hear some one day.... :) The 5's always rubbed me the right way as something I'd enjoy.

Man, I gotta plan a trip to this show next year, that is just audio eye candy all over the place!

19. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

kinda weird that they only brought the monitors to AXPONA instead of their Awesome towers.

if that were me I’d take my best speakers.

anywho

20. TheVinylAddict

Yeah,, but alternatively if you only could take one pair, the Monitors are his best seller.... economics, opportunity cost and all....

Better yet, why not take both if you could? :)

Who knows, maybe there's still a pair to set up (Towers or HT) waiting in the wings..... let's see what happens over today and tomorrow!

jonwoody, rischa and Tone? like this.
  21. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah I would probably take all three.
    I mean those rooms cost a lot of money, I’ve been to guitar expos and know the cost.
    I would wager the cost of the smaller rooms cost around $5k

so I would take whatever I had. Or not go at all.
    But that’s just me.

The real question is what would Tekton do? Lol
    Sorry I had to

Rick58, jonwoody, AudioFan66 and 5 others like this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

Best thing would be to make sure and have someone in the room that is good at PR...

... I guess I had to also....:hide:

23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Ha!

hey man I was close ! lol

‘200 Listening Rooms. Rates: $4,750 for Standard Listening Rooms’

now if you’re gonna spend that cash for a room, take all you can
    I copy pasted that from the AXPONA 2024 site

Rick58, jonwoody, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

One would think that they could have been able to roll in those beautiful Floor Standers as well, switch back and forth once in a while.

25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yup

engineers are odd ducks

jonwoody and mreeter like this.