Favorite Beatles Capitol Album (US + Canada)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Jul 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The most-mistreated Beatles orphan of all was "Leave My Kitten Alone"

I prefer that song
    to at least or ¼ of the Fabs released output.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    YardByrd and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm really in my own little corner with Kitten.. it never impressed me much as as a song or a Beatle performance. It's ok....but I remember all the hype it got during the late seventies early eighties period...then I finally got to hear it on the Sessions boot and kind of found myself thinking, "that's it...???"

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This dog is gonna get you
    Hit you on top of your head
    If you don't quickly retract
    What it is that you just said!

:laugh:

DK Pete likes this.
  4. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

That does not explain the same fake stereo on the 2nd half of IATW. That same fake stereo IATW part is found on the 87 CD's. That leads me to believe the reprocessing was done in England. None of the '87 CD's used Capitol processing.

5. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

There was a very particular reason for the last half of Walrus to be fake stereo. But there was zero reason for fake stereo mixes of the other three tracks on MMT to have been created at EMI in London. Plus, there is no documentation of it, as there is for the other fake stereo tracks made there.

It would not have been difficult for Capitol to have used a process very similar to that used for Walrus.

DK Pete likes this.
  6. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

This still does not answer how that same version ended up on the '87 CD's. Those were a worldwide release, which leads me to believe they were done at Abbey Road. If Capitol was the source for this kind of processing (very easy to ID as there is harmonic distortion on the treble side - very noticeable on "Baby Your a Rich Man" but I heard the same distortion to a lesser extent on all the reprocessed tracks including the IATW ending), why was it used on the '87 CD's?

7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Yes, the fake stereo last half of 'I Am The Walrus' was done at Abbey Road. The difference between the US/German and the UK stereo versions are in the true stereo first half of the song, not the last half, although the fake stereo last half did receive some re-treatment for the 2009 remaster.

There were two released stereo versions of 'I Am The Walrus' mixed at EMI London in 1967:
    • RS6/7 - This is an edit of true stereo mix RS6 and "rechanneled" stereo mix RS7. RS7 was made from mono mix RM22, which contains the King Lear broadcast.This was done on Nov 6 1967, and headed to the US the next day to be used on the stereo LP. Capitol trimmed the intro to four beats, while the German version left it untrimmed at six beats. The German version is on the 1967 Odeon EP and the 1971 LP. This mix has not been officially released on CD.
    • RS25/7 - On Nov 17 1967 a new true stereo mix RS25 was made and combined with the fake stereo mix RS7. The intro is six beats. This is the version on both the 1987 and 2009 CDs.
    RS6 and RS25 are similar but a notable difference is that the rhythm track during the "I'm crying" vocal at around 1:18 is faded down on RS6.

8. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Thank you.

Now I'd like someone to get an original Capitol pressing of MMT, put on headphones and compare the reprocessing of the ending of IATW and the 3 songs in fake stereo on side 2. To my ears they sound like the same process was used, hence all done at Abbey Rd. and not Capitol.

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

If there was a Top Ten Forum Cliches list (e.g. Vinyl > CD, Mono > Stereo, Beatles > Monkees > Everyone else, etc.), the veneration of "Kitten" (one of what George Martin dismissed as "teddy-boy songs") would undoubtedly be on it.

Just to be clear, nobody enjoys the full-throated roar of the young John Lennon tearing through some meat-and-potatoes rocker more than I do. But come on, guys — give it a rest already!

DK Pete likes this.
  10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Second Album - in mono natch (despite some folds)...
    but strong love for Meet, ‘65, Rubber Soul and MMT...
    grew up with Capitol versions as a kid in the 70s and have fallen in love with them all over again as I add them to my LP collection after not having owned any since circa ‘83

MitchLT and Lexhibit like this.
  11. YardByrd

strangely I see them all the time here in Finland albeit ‘70s/‘80s reissues...

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yesterday and Today

but I also love MMT, RS, and ‘65.

as for Revolver, although it’s just abridged, I use to like how John took a back seat to the others just to dazzle us at the end of each side.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Something new (u.s. mono)
    Second album (u.s. mono)
    Yesterday and today (u.s. mono)

3 Beatles albums for a desert island, all u.s. mono. These are essential albums uk Beatles album fans must hear at least once before they judge the u.s. "butchers" so harshly. Im a converter myself.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    maui jim likes this.
  14. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

"leave my kitten alone" is great rocker from Beatles for sale era... also liked "if you got troubles" and "how do you do it" as "orphans"

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's precisely how I took it when i first heard the album as an 11 year old kid in '68(meaning, with John being featured on "only" two songs).

Keith V likes this.
  16. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

There was a period in the late 70s and 80s when both shop-owners and wholesalers of imported LP titles, as well as the record companies themselves, were doing a good job of servicing the Beatle fan population in America's larger cities. I have 3 Canadian titles Long Tall Sally, Twist & Shout, and Beatlemania, that I was able to buy directly out of retailers' bins in Houston. These album jackets contain a reference to the albums first being released/published in Canada, Nov. '63, Feb. '64, or May '64. In other words these were not original pressings, but they were coming from Capitol, Canada

What I'm saying is don't give up your search. These titles in their re-released versions, were once common.

17. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

This question is easy to answer for me:cool:
    [​IMG]

18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I've never been a fan of third person criticisms so I'm glad Nowhere Man was left off the American Rubber Soul. For awhile I only had one speaker and listened to the hard panned vocal tracks. I'm fond of it that way.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. YardByrd

Further, it's not like said criticism are poignant and noteworthy... rather vague and nebulous... probably the only Lennon song from the '60s that bores me...

rmath84 likes this.
  20. Roland Stoves

Roland Stoves 3.9% Neanderthal

Stoned immaculate.

Sgt. Abbey Road and DK Pete like this.
  21. YardByrd

just grabbed a purple Capitol Revolver... I haven't had a purple Capitol version since roughly '83... it was like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers for the first time in decades... and since I didn't grow up with the UK sequence I have no problem with this streamlined version... as for sonics, I do not have an original '60s UK or US stereo so I can't compare, but I much prefer this Capitol purple to my '70s UK reish...

maui jim, notesfrom and DK Pete like this.
  22. YardByrd

also got a '64 Capitol mono Meet the Beatles last week... in EX shape... fantastic! I prefer it to its parent LP, With the Beatles to boot...

notesfrom and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As a whole, MTB is actually a stronger album than WTB, IMO. It omits a cover or two which aren’t anything special and adds three dynamically sequenced openers. On Revolver, I always found the Capitol version to be louder than the UK pressings…I think this works better for some songs than others.

YardByrd likes this.
  24. YardByrd

for me, the songs on the louder Capitol LP that work better than the UK pressings, tend to also be the ones I like better in mono, i.e. the rockers... did that make sense? Or too convoluted?

DK Pete likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It makes perfect sense. Short of a remix coming out at any point in time, I prefer the entire album in mono except for Yellow Submarine,Good Day Sunshine and Tomorrow Never Knows.

YardByrd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.