Favorite Echo and The Bunnymen album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that the s/t release is a very good album that has the misfortune of coming after four great ones. It's well crafted but there's not the same sense of urgency.

Bill Diercks and tug_of_war like this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I voted for HUH, but it could really be any of the first 4 depending on mood or what day of the week it is.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Overproduced and not as moody as the first 4. Not a bad album, I'll just never put it in the same tier as the first 4.

Black Cat Surfboards likes this.
  4. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

This is my favourite album by them.
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Siberia

tug_of_war and Curveboy like this.
  5. Kieran White

PS:
    The same stable. But THE TEARDROP EXPLODES were the better "Echo and the Bunnymen.

falconerone likes this.
  6. Kieran White

No Bunnymen without THE TEARDROP EXPLODES. They talk about.

linklinc likes this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Completely irrelevant to this thread however...........

ARK, hi_watt and Man at C&A like this.
  8. katuna

katuna Forum Resident

I think their peak is earlier; however, I have found this LP to be MUCH better than I initially thought. I really think it's great now.

I think, to a large degree, I was just tired of English groups at that point, to be honest. I didn't give it a fair shake, didn't have perspective on the whole thing, etc., etc.

thefxc likes this.
  9. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

Reverberation
    Songs to Learn and Sing
    Candleland

The vocal histrionics on the earlier stuff do nothing for me; his vocals attain a nice relaxed grace on the grey album, but the material is boring. I like them as a retro psych band on Reverberation. Candleland is McCulloch’s high point, it’s quite touching hearing him sounding a bit more vulnerable; nice Ray Shulman production, too - he did a lot of good stuff in that era. I remember nothing about Mysterio or Evergreen, I haven’t heard anything later than that. A singles band, really.

10. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

‘Porcupine’ is the essential Bunnymen album for me. Great songs, great musicianship, great production, great sleeve. I love it today as much as I did nearly forty years ago. Their other pre-first breakup LPs also very much float my boat but it’s their third album that wins. I’m playing it right now!

kevimetal and wrappedinsky like this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

If you include Reverberation then surely Candleland must be there, anyway:

1 Heaven
    2 Crocodiles
    3 Ocean
    4 Porcupine
    5 Evergreen

12. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I was listening to Porcupine today and thinking it may just be my favorite. So many great tunes on that one.

kevimetal and falconerone like this.
  13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Porcupine. It has their best 2 songs.

kevimetal, falconerone and Neonbeam like this.
  14. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

My favorite is the self-titled. To me there is not a weak track on the album. It also brings me back to a certain time and place in my life, so that could possibly be clouding my judgement somewhat.

My numbers two and three would be Porcupine and then Ocean Rain. Side One of Porcupine is particularly thrilling. The Cutter and Back of Love roll through like a locomotive on steroids, pulling into the station, only to begin another journey with the creepy sound effects of My White Devil before it, too, starts moving along. On the latter song, I seriously almost feel like I'm physically moving as that bass just thumps. And what's that? A freaking XYLOPHONE? The bass with that weird percussive solo are amazing. Clay does the same thing to me: a combination of atmospheric sound effects with that rollicking bass is a sonic sensation that seriously seem to push me forward. Take a breath as the side ends with the slow build up of Porcupine the song, before launching Side Two with another thriller, Heads Will Roll. The thumping toms and more bass that again push the song along and give it depth always keep me listening. How can you stop this album once you put it on? Very difficult for me.

15. Kieran White

I think that's not correct.
    Both bands stood near together when recording the first albums .
    The Teardrop Explodes were less successful than Echo and split after two albums.

Kilimanjaro is the best album of the Bunnymen that they never made.

falconerone likes this.
  16. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Ocean Rain
    S/T

Songs to Learn and Sing is a great comp also.

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Ocean Rain and its associated remixes. The Silver remix is my favorite. It takes the song to another level.

18. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Ocean Rain but with Crocodiles a close second.

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

Fave Bunnymen album is Porcupine.

The whole record is excellent, and "Gods Will Be Gods" is a f*cking mad song, in the best possible way.

kevimetal, tug_of_war and vertigone like this.
  20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

When it came out I thought Porcupine was the greatest thing ever and I practically wore out my cassette. These days I can barely make it through the whole mawkish thing. Ocean Rain is almost guilty of the same.
    Heaven Up Here has held up the best.

21. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Heaven Up Here or Ocean Rain.

22. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Check out live versions of some of the key songs and it may help to understand the disappointment felt when fans heard the studio LP.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Americans. Sigh.

24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Here is a recent interview:

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN INTERVIEW // REFLECTION, AUTOBIOGRAPHIES, BECOMING AN ICONIC BAND

TurtleIsland likes this.
  25. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

We like melodies. What can I say.
    It’s my fave too. Reverberation and Candleland just under.

ARK likes this.