Favorite Movie Trilogy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DanG, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe the best one (from the artistic aspect) is "Lord of Rings".

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Gotta go with "The Godfather." The first two are so, so good that they outweigh the third one and push this above, probably, the "Star Wars" trilogy just slightly. I agree that the first two "Future" movies are spectacular, particularly number two, but I think that the third one drops off so much in comparative quality that it puts them behind the others mentioned. I'd probably, upon further reflection, put the "Indiana Jones" movies right behind "The Godfather."

3. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Godfather, definitely. The third is mediocre compared to the first two, but the first two are one of *the* towering achievements in film history, so we'll forgive III its wobbliness.

LOTR is shaping up to be a doozy, though -- if ROTK doesn't disappoint, it'll certainly be the most consistently great trilogy.

Ryan

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Here's one nobody has mentioned. John Ford's Cavalry Trilogy of the late 40's/early 50's!! And it was released before Tolkien published HIS trilogy.

Note: best watched in this order: Fort Apache, Rio Grande, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. A remarkable set of films that inspire people of both ends of the political spectrum.

"...but no matter where they went, or what they did. That place became the United States Of America." This line typifies Ford's ambivilence. Some hear a stirring patriotic statement, and get goosbumps. Others hear a stinging endictment of Colonialism, and get goosebumps.

BTW I think LOTR's wil ultimately take the prize, if it holds up the quality it has maintained thus far.

5. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

"Apu" Trilogy? I didn't know he had one. "Thank you, come again"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.