Favorite Music Podcasts/Youtube channels

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by underthecovers, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underthecovers

underthecovers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Beamish13 likes this.
  2. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

U talkin U2 to me!?

3. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

theneedledrop AKA Anthony Fantano is a reviewer on YouTube who I really like. He covers new releases from pretty much all genres, including some pretty obscure stuff, making his channel a great place to get recommendations. I like his critical perspective a lot, because he doesn’t have any real biases, doesn’t fall victim to hype, and looks at an album as a holistic package. You won’t see him giving an album a good review solely because all the other critics love it or because it has a handful of good tracks.

I also like the channel Deep Cuts, who does video essays on how to get into certain artists or styles. He mainly does “guides” to an artist’s discography and “five albums to get you into x genre” type videos. The channel name is a bit of a misnomer since he generally talks about established artists in his artist guides and goes for fairly obvious picks in his genre guides, but it’s good and interesting content nonetheless.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Zilch - A Monkees Podcast
    The Texas Prairie Chicken Home Companion
    Fab4Free4All
    Something About The Beatles
    Come To The Sunshine
    Things We Said Today
    Echo Valley Bubble Gum Pop Podcast
    The Pods & Sods Network
    PodKISST/The KISS Room

underthecovers likes this.
  5. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

GemsOnVHS is a YouTube channel that I enjoy. It's a series of live intimate recordings featuring mostly unsung songwriters and musicians

GemsOnVHS

Beamish13 likes this.
  6. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

I like The Beatles Naked podcast a lot but prefer to download it from their website instead of deal with iTunes to get it

The Beatles... Naked - Podcast

And I like that they use higher bitrates than most podcasts use, something that's important for a music-based podcast.

RickH likes this.
  7. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

As for music-based YouTube channels that are like video podcasts, I've become a fan of this one:

"You Can't Unhear This" ( You Can't Unhear This )

Although this channel has created very few videos, all of its videos are great. For example, this one called "The Hidden Voice in The Last Beatles Song" is really well put together:

RickH, nojmplease and georgespigott like this.
  8. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Oh hey! Thanks for sharing. That's my channel. Glad to see it getting some love around these parts.

Not too surprising that a guy who has built an entire channel dissecting Beatles songs is a long-time SHF member, is it? :whistle:

CBS CLASH 3 likes this.
  9. Captain sykes

Captain sykes Well-Known Member

The Chart music podcast is great.
    One episode of the long running British chart show Top of the Pops chosen at random and pulled apart by three music journos. Very long episodes but always very entertaining.
    I would recommend checking out the YouTube channel playlist first for the links to the performances from just so though that songs from the episode are fresh in your mind when listening, and because quite often visual aspects of a performance are talked about.
    It's always an interesting snapshot of what was happening in Brit charts at the time.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

YouTube Channels..
    There is a community of Youtube channels that call themselves the Vinyl Community.
    I have recently become a proud member.
    The best one..our friend Mazzy’s channel..Norman Maslov.
    If you haven’t checked Mazzy’s channel out, do so..he is awesome..

Marko K likes this.
  12. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

This Hookblast podcast is cool - the format is 15 minutes of new songs by new artists but you only get to hear the main verse and chorus/hook of each song before the host moves on to the next one. It’s a quick way to sample pop-oriented new stuff - I’d love to find a more rock-oriented version of this show.

(also available on Spotify)

The Hookblast Podcast - Episode 25

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  13. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.